PA will never be balanced

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ikickasss, April 17, 2014.

1. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Im not a poor judge. im not the best but im a pretty good player and im top 10 in games played. i think my pa stats speak for themselves on the 2v2 ladder so i know that with every build i could win with different strategies. ive probaly beaten 95 percent of the community with my stats of 176 and 20 losses. so i know this game inside and out.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Like I said, being better than others does not mean you have sufficient data.

I will ask a question; as a percentage of all games played, how many have you played in?

And another question: of those games, how many did you record? You can't rely on perception, as the human mind is very very poor machine for making unbiased decisions.

Removed inappropriate statement.
    Last edited by a moderator: April 20, 2014
    drz1 and stormingkiwi like this.
  3. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Your not listening to me. im saying i won many games with viable strategies. if im beating majority of players with diff strats that just meansthat players should explore diff builds and units. being good in a gamehas alot to do with experience and balance. iknow what unit or strat to use and how. for the simple mindedlike you. rts is not about just balance, its about attacking angles, builds, and making diversions then launching a big attack. as far of recording games. ever here of pa stats. with pa stats and even before pa stats i have over 300 games played. how many do u have. probaly not enough to even comment on this thread and actually know what your talking about.
    Last edited by a moderator: April 20, 2014
  4. BulletMagnet

That's a nice claim to make about the viability of those strategies. Can you back that up with evidence that isn't "Look at me, I'm a good player. What I say must be right."?

You're deliberately ignoring the difference in quality between you and your opponent. Suppose that every single person you've played against hadn't played an RTS before. No matter what units they build, they're very unlikely to beat you.

What I'm saying is that you're unknowingly biased. Biased points of view are bad because they can lead to the wrong conclusions. That's not an insult directed at you. It's true for all people. People are fundamentally bad at these things. We use maths and statistics instead.

If you're right, the stats will back you up. Data and mathematics doesn't have an agenda. It will tell the truth if you just bloody use it.

Is every game on PA Stats? Literally every game, between every player, without exception? If it's not, then it's also a biased source, so you can't use it as a sample of the population.

Please don't use ad hominems as your argument. It makes your actual arguments look bad.
    drz1 and aevs like this.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Kickass, if you can beat 95% of the community, you can compete with the rest of the top 10.

Please use your Dox only strategy on the rest of the top 5.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

You guys are both right. Yes there are many strategies to win a game. However if you play against opponents with better skill than you then your options are dramatically reduced. Up until the point where you have maybe only 5 or so valid strategies.

This is just my knowledge for 2v2 tournaments which is very limited. I don't recall seeing you in too many of these so could explain your opinions.

I think dox only could work if not scouted and unprepared for. A good player would also cut your angles of attack and position units better than below average players.
  7. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Opinions? http://ladder.pastats.tk/2on2 I just remember seeing one tournament and sat mornings are not good for me. I said I'm a good player by far . Far from the best so don't misunderstand me as being cocky. I'm just saying that guys say this game is unplayable and theres only two ways too win. I win many of ways with different strategies. But I agree the better the players the less options you will take. Everyone is going to take there bread and butter strategy to the game. Thats any RTS though.
    Last edited: April 19, 2014
  8. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Stats dont lie 385 pa games 322 wins and 63 losses. I didn't win this many games by just spamming dox smart ***. I never said I was the best player but definitely a good pa player. I am a top 10 player in the 2v2 ladder number 3 actually. I dont play 1v1 and 2v2 is totally different from 1v1 if your referring to that. If you see one of my games up pop in so I can get my 323 win ^^ and ill show you my dox spam.
  9. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

See I was right in this thread. PA will never be balanced because of opinions.
  10. BulletMagnet

igncom1 and aevs like this.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Seeing so many people go on about "there are only so few strategies" is so damn funny somehow, looking at how the 1v1 meta developed in the last month or so.
    Also I DO have a mountain of data, but I have no idea how to analyze it to tell how many strategies there are.

Sure there is not every game on PA Stats, however there are many thousands of games and people who use PA Stats are more likely to be a lot "into" the game.
    Data from people who play vs easy AI only and who never even read the forums would be meaningless anyway. So I'd wager the hundreds of active players that play thousands of games each week are a data source that has quite some weight for sure.
    aevs likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

You said you could beat players using any means in the game :)

So can you beat players with pure t1 bot spam, no t2?

Can you explain exactly what you mean when you say meta?
  13. cola_colin

14. stormingkiwi

Yes, and can you actually define what you mean by it, as applies to PA, because that definition is vague.

So it is metagaming, not a metastrategy.
  15. cola_colin

The way PA is played in 1v1?
    godde likes this.
  16. BulletMagnet

When people say the current meta I think they usually mean the flavour of the month or the strategies and tactics that are usually pretty optimal.

An Eve-Online example for the current meta would be remote-repair fit Aeon carriers. Aeons have a bonus to armour so they're very resistant to being shot, and have bonuses to repair modules. They also deploy mountains of bombers. Putting the three properties together means they are literally the optimal way to win fights.

A PA example would be Vanguard drops (we all know what they are, so I won't explain it any further).

Another example of the meta is opening build orders. People often build mex-mex-power because it gives good results. If you trippled the starting metal the commander has, power-factory-mex might become the new meta.

[EDIT] Metastrategies.
    igncom1 and drz1 like this.
  17. cola_colin

Yeah and as long as we see a constant development of the meta I think it is a rather ...not so intelligent... idea to complain there are not enough strategies in PA. Start to complain one or two month after the last change change in the meta has occurred, not after 1 day.
    ikickasss and godde like this.
  18. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Indeed, this could well be months or years post "release", given Uber's plans...
    Also, why would people wait for something when they can complain RIGHT NOW?? ;)
    websterx01 likes this.
  19. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Wow man . Copy and paste where I said I can beat somebody pure with dox. I said I will use every available unit to make a viable strategy to beat my opponent. And I happen to be a fan of the dox.
  20. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Finally somebody that gets what Im saying. A RTS game is what you make of it. Good job Colin!!!!