PA: Titans has been targetted for negative reviews/refund abuse

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by mutrumbo, August 20, 2015.

1. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

While it would be nice, I have my doubts that it would ever happen. Valve (For better or for worse, probably worse) does not hire grunt labor, and that is a grunt labor job.
    aevs likes this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Anything that is being abused should be removed. "Abuse" might be defined differently depending on the situation but in this case, the refund system is a way for angry customers to exploit the refund system.

That also means the scamming developers should be removed. But wait... buyer beware amirite? Just seems like it causes more trouble than benefit.

That's just what I think, although i've never really had bad experiences with purchases in my lifetime yet so I don't have very good measure.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  3. maskedcrash

Almost EVERYTHING can be abused. Abuse as a whole doesn't happen that much, we're just seeing a disproportionate amount of rage for a situation that I don't consider was handled very well.
    If we remove everything that can be abused then... Well, PA wouldn't exist. KS can be abused (and has), Steam EA has been abused. Doesn't mean we should scrap em.

Also, "buyer beware amirite"? I... don't think you're using that phrase correctly.
  4. killerkiwijuice

Well yeah, it depends on your definition of abuse. I don't really know how to explain it right now.
    Caveat emptor. Does that work? xd
  5. varothegod

varothegod New Member

6. killerkiwijuice

7. varothegod

varothegod New Member

that is a horrible way to think of the matter I actually have gotten many valid points on both sides... If I convince just one person to understand why then I am happy
  8. maskedcrash

I got the whole buyer beware thing, but the usage of the Amirite thing implies that I am for consumers getting screwed over. Or not, your statement there was a bit unclear.
  9. killerkiwijuice

Well ok I appreciate it. I've done a bit of pacifying as well, I think. ACtually, probably not lol.
  10. maskedcrash

Actually I just checked- a lot of the negative reviews are suprisingly sane, most only complaining about crashes.
    Which are... abundant.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

People complaining about crashes make me laugh. I mean, it's sad that they crashed, but what's more sad is that they didn't take the time to try and fix it.

So many resources to help problems like that and they didn't use them. That's not something we can solve :/
  12. killerkiwijuice

Ok, let's be fair. If you buy something and it doesn't work as intended you have a right to complain, crashes are one of those things.

They shouldn't need to fix it on their own free time.

Although it's still stupid how they don't upgrade drivers, lmfao.
    PhoneySpring646, mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

guys... don't be like that. ;)
    mered4 likes this.
  14. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

The problem with writing reviews about technical problems is that technical problems typically go away after awhile. But currently, reviews don't.

If someone doesn't like the gameplay or story or voice acting or the UI settings or even the color scheme, I have no problem with that person writing a review about it. Have at it.

But, when lots of people write about how a game doesn't work for some reason or another, it puts a negative spin to a game which might not be deserved at all (i.e., other things causing the problem such as 3rd party programs, old drivers, out-dated BIOS, or malware), or hopefully, at worst is only deserved for a short while.

Imo, technical problem reviews should have an expiration date associated with them, so that they're only good until the next patch or maybe two months after originally written.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. drb00t

drb00t New Member

not my job to fix it...that's why i paid another company to make it

i understand the drivers and simple things...but i watched a couple hours of this on twitch and this guys' game crashed at least 3 times.
    and don't give me the argument "a lot of AAA games have problems on release". again, not my job to beta-test your game, that's why you are getting my money.
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes it's the devs job to fix it. But the technical reality is that if you try to help the developer by reporting problems and explain where they happen you greatly increase the chance to have your issues fixed.

In a world were developers actually patch games for years reviews in general need to somehow make clear how old there are. What does a review matter to me as a potential customer when the review reviews a version that isn't there anymore since more than a year? It might even tell me there is a feature that for whatever reason is gone by now so I buy and then don't find what I was looking for.
    tracert, Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  17. drb00t

drb00t New Member

i agree that buying this just to neg review it and then refund is stupidly childish. i think steam does put the date on the review, but to be honest no one looks at it. maybe they could put the patch number and make it clear like they did with time played would be great
    Nicb1, mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  18. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Also true.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd be careful on that one. It isn't up to the devs to correct faults with a user's configuration. I mean I haven't had a crash with PA or titans recently. The game definitely does work.

Evidently it looks like there's an issue with the 980ti specifically, and a memory bug on Windows 10, so yes there are things for uber to fix.

A user running 3 year old gpu drivers however isn't ubers problem. Neither is a user's computer full of bloat ware or someone trying to run the game way below minimum specs.

I've been gaming on PC since the early 90s in dos on a 486, back then you had to reconfigure the entire machine per game to even get them to load. I have 0 sympathy for the group who say ' game x works on my ancient drivers so this game is broken I won't update' because it's silly. A game studio cannot possibly account for every single hardware and software configuration out there so expecting people to be up to date on drivers is just common sense.

If people want a settings free gaming experience, that is what consoles were created for. PC gaming comes with an assumption of at least basic computer literacy imo.
    stuart98, mered4 and Gorbles like this.
  20. lautre

lautre New Member

You say reviews have been abused, but the other games do not have have such problems. where is the problem ? it's the game maybe and not the users ?

voices of people can be heard through reviews and have an impact, it's why they do it.