PA: Titans has been targetted for negative reviews/refund abuse

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by mutrumbo, August 20, 2015.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That could potentially work, actually.
    It'd be better than sorting reviews by "helpfulness", which, I might add is the one of the most arbitrary rating systems of all time.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. lautre

lautre New Member

you are getting what you deserve. use your brain and think about why people are doing this, they are not doing it for the fun.
    and sorry for you, it's not against steam rules. it's the perfect use of the steam refund function.
    If you leave a negative review you are likely to ask for a refund, it's logic.
    Planktum likes this.
  3. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

That would overly skew the results towards positive reviews. How many people who give a legitimate negative review are not going to use the refund system? If you don't like the game of course you are going to ask for a refund. This would remove all negative reviews and therefore wouldn't give an accurate reflection of the truth either. They've already tried to remove the bulk of negative reviews by adding Titans to Steam as a Stand-alone expansion. But you can't hide the truth. There are many disgruntled customers with legit complaints.
  4. Planktum

I'm pretty sure it already tells you "hours played". Someone who plays 100 hours is obviously going to post a positive review. I don't play games I don't like for 100 hours either. Can you please tell one game you don't like that you have sink 100 hours into. LOL
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No it is abusing the ability to refund games, you're buying the game with the clear intention of refunding it right afterward. That is not allowed.

The only reason people are doing this is so they can kill a company that did them no wrong, and trying to skew the data from people who have actually bought the game, played it, and are happy with it.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

This isn't necessarily true - and 100 hours was definitely an arbitrary number. Twenty or so would definitely work better - but something that differentiates those would be super helpful.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

They need a way to buy it, review it glowingly, and buy more copies (showing people how many extra copies you then bought) :D Better yet.. have a Tip the developer button.. man would that piss off the negative people.
  8. Planktum

As I already said, I'm pretty sure it shows you hours played.
  9. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

A developer's job is to develop the game, and not babysit the immature actions of those seeking to ruin the game's reputation intentionally.
    PhoneySpring646, stuart98 and elodea like this.
  10. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Leaving a negative review for a game you didn't even play just to bash a developer you don't like then getting a refund is a clear violation of the refund policy intent and is abusing both the review and refund functions. Valve needs to rethink how those two functions interact with one another.
  11. elodea

elodea Post Master General

If someone is truly disgruntled with a product, what you will expect to see is a purchase, negative review, and refund. There is no way to distinguish the genuine from the disingenuous, and therefore no way for anyone to stop this.

We can argue all we want theoretically in the cloud about the ethics, but in the end none of us can say what the motives of any person in particular are. So i hope no-one does silly things like attacking 'suspect' individuals on steam as a result of this.
    cdrkf, maskedcrash and Planktum like this.
  12. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Certainly don't want to go around attacking random people who have short negative (or positive) reviews and .1 hours of play time based upon circumstantial evidence. And, "attacking" in the forums, I always frown on anyway.

But, the dozen or more people I've seen who've actually told people in the forums to abuse the system? Imo, they should be banned from the Steam community and have their refund permissions revoked.
    cdrkf, stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  13. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Yea, just report those people. Valve will most likely ban them because now they are attacking their bottom line by encouraging refund abuse.
    cdrkf, maskedcrash and stuart98 like this.
  14. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

You would think so, but one person I reported had the thread he created encouraging abuse deleted but has suffered nothing else.

Since then, he's continued to bash anyone saying positive things about either game and spams negative threads. I am glad that thread was deleted, but I'm disappointed that was all that was done.

Edit (21 Aug): He was eventually banned from the PA:Titans forum.
    Last edited: August 21, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The refund system shouldn't exist.
    PhoneySpring646 likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Not sure I agree with that. :L
  17. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The refund system is an important part of consumer rights.

The problem is how it can be abused. As usual, Valve are taking far too long to iron out the bugs.

Valve gets away with being lazy being the gaming community as a whole lets them. You never see them getting the criticism for similar mistakes made by other, less popular, publishers. You don't see people complaining like they complain about other developers' and / or publishers' PR.

Case in point, this PR issue.

It's why I'm generally critical of Valve. I hold them to the same standards everyone else holds other companies to.
    maskedcrash and stuart98 like this.
  18. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Ya, I like the refund policy.

It allows people who are computer illiterate to refund games when they don't know how to get them to work on their broken systems.
    It also allows people to legally demo games to see if they'll like them rather than doing illegal things which gives players an opportunity to try out games they otherwise wouldn't have ever done.

There are downsides such as players who only play for an hour and uninstall it thinking the game is terrible when they're not even done with the tutorial yet, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives when just isolated to the refund policy itself.
    maskedcrash likes this.
  19. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

I agree for some reason the gaming community isn't often critical of steam and steam definitely needs work in some areas like the refunds and the steam greenlight which aren't effective or are easily abusable by both companies and gamers
  20. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

No.
    Too many crap games on steam for there not to be a refund system. Too many 'developers' trying to scam consumers. Refund system is major step in correct direction, but probably not enough.

Why shouldn't it exist?