PA Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sierra159, September 7, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Rei Ayaname is from Neon Genesis Evangelican right?
  2. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I have updated mine, should help a bit.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Look, theres no trying to cozy over the fact that
    -No saving implemented
    -Still quite a few bugs and crashes
    -And most importantly....NO OFFLINE-PLAY

People dont want promises...the games out now, promises are meant for Pre-Release stages
    muhatib likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

Yes there is, the features are visibly and transparently still in development. People give Squad and Rockstar all the rope in the world on this one. They legitimately do the same thing Uber does, but people really seem to connect with them better it seems, and good PR generates good PR so there is nothing Uber can do differently besides slip Markiplier some cash under the table to do at least 10 videos on the game and make it go viral.

Besides, offline is tied to an unready feature, saving is tied to an unready feature, both of them could have a buggy half baked version released seperate but that is just development that will be doubled back on later, and the actual bugs are as low as any other game, I simply just don't see a lot. I legitimately read all these, a lot stem from coherent and the fact it takes more dependencies than people have installed from other games. It is like, people can't play minecraft and complain it's buggy, and the answer is "install a version of java dating from this year"...
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

OP as an apearant fan of the game asks how to "combat" the negative reviews because of fear the game would not be succesfull in the long run ...
    the answer to that is ... you don´t ... imo it is best to stay neutral and just spread the factual information of the current gamestate letting costumers know what they buy into ... the rest is their decision ...
    i don´t think it will help much to to react to every negative review asking the reviewer "what´s your problem?"
    and even then there is only a tiny chance of convincing them otherwise ... sooo just let that be and if you want to provide information do that to possible costumers while being honest ... that is it ...
    Last edited: September 7, 2014
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. corruptai

corruptai New Member

Well cool we agree then. I feel the same way.
  7. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

If we want to fight all the negative criticism we have to acknowledge their valid points first:
    - no save function
    - no offline mode
    - buggy system designer
    - crashes
    - slow downs

These are all issues you can't argue with. They shouldn't exist in the release version but they do. Yes, Uber is working on them, but that isn't really an excuse. WiP is a valid argument during early access but not once you put the "released" label on your game.
  8. thetrophysystem

Uhmm... I read a lot of things, I even just posted a lighting abnormality. But... what exactly is the system editor buggy?
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What's wrong with the system designer? I've never really had issues. :p
  10. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

The issues I encountered so far:
    - elliptical orbits reset if you click on the planet
    - starting planet settings reset every time you load a system
    - clicking a planet sometimes resets its position
    - sometimes loading a system results in some planets no longer orbit the sun but other planets or vice versa
    muhatib and killerkiwijuice like this.
  11. thetrophysystem

Seen worse map editors...

Also, Farcry 3 has pissed me off much more than this one has. Probably because of specific placement detail, which this lacks, but lacking specific placement ability, it is simple and quick enough to accomplish anything, and it doesn't ruin entire works all of it's own.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I hate how much stuff isn't there in the editor.
  13. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Something to do with human psychology that I discovered recently and has contributed to me giving up arguing politics, religion and pretty much everything else on the internet: If a person strongly believes something, and they are presented with strong evidence to contradict their position, guess what happens?

Rather than re-assess their own position, they in fact strengthen it. So let's say you're talking to somebody who believes that Ghostbusters is the literal telling of the genesis of their religion - give them evidence that Zuul was never mentioned before 1984, show them that Stay Puft was never a real brand of marshmallow, show them that Sigourney Weaver was in other films so she can't possibly be a satanic messiah, and rather than agree with you they will see conspiracy, oppression and malevolent attempts to attack the very core of their sense of self.

So yeah, if you're trying to convince people to change their mind, best to be subtle about it.
    cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  14. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

WHY DID NO ONE LISTEN TO RON PAUL
    Brokenshakles and stuart98 like this.
  15. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

My question is, why should we give a damn? UBER profited from the game, and I have a blast whenever I play it. I might have been scared as hell during the grand cheese cup tournament, but you can bet your *** I'm having fun.
    Last edited: September 9, 2014
  16. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

The fact that there are worse games to complain about doesn't mean that complaints about PA are not valid. There are worse cases, no doubt, but that still doesn't make it right to release the editor in this state.
    Don't get me wrong, overall PA is a great game, but, once again, that doesn't make complaints about specific missing or broken features invalid.
  17. Aranfan

Aranfan New Member

I haven't even been able to play since release. :(
  18. thetrophysystem

Yes. It does. The complaint was, the game wasn't a release quality. If Halo 4 released with it, that would argue that is a standard of release quality, no?

I still argue that the game has to release somewhere, there has to be an initial installment to build upon. Were there not bugs in RA and TA? I remember Red Alert 2 had glitches that got things stuck, glitches where you could put units in captured civilian buses and the enemy would not auto attack the bus, bugs exist in released games.
    support@uberent.com and support subforum could probably help you.

No matter how much polish the game has, the game went with "coherent and opengl", and that makes it flexible and linux capatable at the cost of needing more troubleshooting than other games. That is not a polish thing, the game will always depend on new drivers and coherent support based things.

Usually a look at a dxdiag.txt in the support subforum gets an answer. Especially if you were able to play before.
    DalekDan likes this.
  19. brzoskswinia

brzoskswinia New Member

The community is in kahoots with the developer to secure funds for this game's further development, apparently. Wouldn't it be more fair to just make a new kickstarter instead of trying to pull people in on a false pretense of a 1.0 version? The original kickstarter asks for $900,000, and raised $2,200,000. This is NOWHERE near enough to make a game like this. This game was obviously a speculation and sincere fans of the game's concept are now being pulled into borderline scam to see this concept realised.
  20. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Surely it's the opposite? As long as Uber updates the game again in the next few months, adding features, then they are actually using their own profits from the game sales to develop the game further? People seem to have forgotten that this is a labour of love for the team, and their passion for realising this project fully is evident in all their videos.