PA Steam Review - Analysis

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by felipec, December 29, 2014.

1. felipec

felipec Active Member

The percentage keeps falling. We are below 70.5% now, if it reach any number below 70, PA will be be tagged as Mixed.
  2. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

harsh :(
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I wonder how many negatives are from people that see these threads and think we're all PA marketing reps trying to rig the ratings.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

galactic war is still a placeholder
  5. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Really?, link to said proof that galactic war is a placeholder. Because thats the first time i've ever heard it.
  6. theseeker2

open galactic war
  7. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

wut? link? do you mean like a persistent galactic war thats MP where clans/factions fight for control of planets area. never knew that was promised. well you learn something new every day.
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Check out this thread for more information. Complete with dev comments, KS update, and live streams. GW is missing about a third of its functionality. e.g. clan wars servers, co-op for local play, etc.;)
    Remy561 likes this.
  9. theseeker2

missing a third the functionality and quite a bit of polish.
  10. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

When I just looked it was sitting around 70.63%. But over-analyzing any of these trends is silly. I would expect the lay consumer to pay more attention to the metacritic score than the steam review ratios, and I'd hope those that have the common sense to actually research the game, would actually say, research the game.
    lokiCML likes this.
  11. felipec

felipec Active Member

Yep, the percent is going up! =D

Well, all of my friends take a look at the steam reviews to know if they want the game or not. I'm sure that the majority of the people out there takes more attention to the steam reviews over the metacritics.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

its range is 70 ... as expected ... unless you look on the scraphole that is metacritic were you can give randam ratings for unrelated reasons ... i dont see this game falling bellow 65 on steam anytime soon ...
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

If it falls below 70 though, the rating goes from "Mostly Positive" to "Mixed", and becomes orange.

Really need people to mark the out-dated ones as unhelpful.
    squishypon3, felipec and stuart98 like this.
  14. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Posted my review. I'm contributing! Yay, let the positive numbers rise!
    squishypon3, felipec and cdrkf like this.
  15. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

What the hell, you can mark reviews as "funny" now?

What is that supposed to do?! What?!

Side note, this is in the review FAQ:

Sure. Nope. Steam, do something proper and right next time. Don't add things like a "funny" rating, but make old reviews actually disappear from the store page and neutralize them. Jeez. What's the next thing you're going to do? Make a streaming implementation to piss off Twitch? Wait, never mind you already did that too.
  16. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

And the tears keep coming.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well I guess it's making you happy....
  18. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Just to tell all of you my unpopular opinion: PA is a game that deserves mixed with rating being around 60-70% positive.

1st because it obviously overpromised quite a lot of things and because of that they have been either rushed in or not done yet. It may not be obvious form a distance, but the closer you look, the clearer it becomes and if you dwell into modding it becomes blatantly. A lot of things are held together by duct tape.
    2nd some of the decisions done were ... funny (not wrong) for the lack of a better word. The whole game could be 100 times better if just few of this things were done the way it was originally planned or suggested by the community or just differently
    3rd it released too early. It may have been a financial decision or it may have been Nordic breathing down their necks (we will never know this), but really 6-12 months of development and the game would be in a place where it really wouldn't deserve mixed. The fact thing that ongoing development or not, people expect some things of the finished project and pa was just lacking those things on release and is still lacking some things.

Now do I say PA is a bad game: not really, it's pretty fun and I do actually enjoy it (even the odd vanilla game I play), but the best way to describe it is: it's an under seasoned dish. Once you add some salt it tastes a lot better, but you can still taste some of the ingredients missing.
    lokiCML and stuart98 like this.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It was once posted on the Human Resources forum that Nordic wanted them to DELAY the release. The only reason that makes sense is it was released so that it wouldn't be in early access when HR was revealed.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  20. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

I honestly don't disagree that the rating should be somewhere around 70% or so as it is, the problem is that ratings, especially user ratings are inherently subjective and usually massively skewed from what they realistically should be. Tons of games with many more issues have much higher ratings because of an established fan-base, larger publishers, better press etc. In a world of pretty skewed reviews, it makes a fair review look unfairly harsh.