PA Steam Review - Analysis

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by felipec, December 29, 2014.

1. xankar

xankar Post Master General

No, what you're posting is out of context. :/
    I like seeing what people actually have to say contextually and not spam.

(Anyways, I myself must apologize for speaking out of context, my apologies)
    Last edited: December 31, 2014
    felipec and stuart98 like this.
  2. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

Well a few things: Multiplayer Galactic War seems like quite a big one, and Submarines were in at the start and are no longer there, also Water Planets aren't properly a thing yet, although you can make fairly watery planets.

I'm sure there are a couple more out there, but things are more incomplete/buggy than fully missing.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. felipec

felipec Active Member

None of these "missing" features are reason to post a negative review, imh.

Anyway, updated the sheet. Today we got 28 new reviews and the Positive reviews dropped to 71.81% (only 0.01%)
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Water planets are a thing, try it out. That was added in a while back I'm pretty sure...
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Why are people do hung up on subs? :S

Subs weren't really ever promised, and they aren't the only unit that was removed. (T2 fighter)
  6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

kickstarter that's why.;)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/293648

Also the issuee with Galactic War.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/303555
    Hazorazor likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yes, yes they were.
    Source

No one can say that they've done a great job at naval. Sub-par at best.

You can't say that by randomly giving dox and slammers amphibious abilities they've fulfilled the amphibious portion of that stretch goal either.
    xankar likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No I agree naval is pretty bleh, but they did hit amphibious units no matter how much that makes you cringe, they're their, and they work fine.
    DalekDan likes this.
  9. Hazorazor

Hazorazor New Member

Yep they definately need to get to adding the multiplayer galactic war and I think fleshing out tier 2 more or adding back units and fleshing out orbital. I wish the galactic war ended up having the 40 players they envisioned allowing 10 people per faction/team. Even if their current servers can't handle multiple system battles or 40 players they should at least allow it for the local server natively.
  10. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

That and all the other features of galactic war.:( It is the reason I backed this game.
    Hazorazor likes this.
  11. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

12. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Well yes, they are there. But there is certainly still work to do, just like on Galactic war. However, as work continues on the game I don't have much issue with that right now. In fact, for me personally and how I play it might almost be better to be somewhat strung out like this. I play fairly infrequently but will play a lot for a few days, so for me it usually means there's something new keeping the game fresh. Once GW gets its second pass (depending on how its done, but I have high hopes) I'll probably waste far too much time on it (or if I ever figure out how to use the newish map editing tools).
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well what appears a little disproportionate is that almost all the highlighted reviews are negative despite the game having substantially more positive reviews. 70%+ positive is fair enough however there appears to be a group of people who are jumping on a bit of an anti uber, anti kickstarter bandwagon and go out of their way to discredit the game. Whilst PA could defiantly grow from where it is now, the amount of hate it attracts from some quarters doesn't seem fair to me.
    DalekDan, Nicb1, Bsport and 1 other person like this.
  14. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

Well what appears a little disproportionate is that almost all the highlighted reviews are negative despite the game having substantially more positive reviews. 70%+ positive is fair enough however there appears to be a group of people who are jumping on a bit of an anti uber, anti kickstarter bandwagon and go out of their way to discredit the game. Whilst PA could defiantly grow from where it is now, the amount of hate it attracts from some quarters doesn't seem fair to me.[/QUOTE]

You guys are far too sensitive, if the reviews are too much to take, petition UBER to remove PA from steam. I’m not emotionally vested in this game, and for that I’m grateful.
    vyolin likes this.
  15. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Rome 2 had a similar issue with lots of people grumpy about the shaky launch. There's still what I'd say is a few too many "top recommended" reviews that are negative for the game in its current state, and the overall percentage is overly low because of people raging about the game at release, but it has improved as the game has improved as well. As long as Uber keeps improving the game, the reviews should start to (at least in some limited sense) reflect that.
    Swordsith and cdrkf like this.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

You guys are far too sensitive, if the reviews are too much to take, petition UBER to remove PA from steam. I’m not emotionally vested in this game, and for that I’m grateful.[/QUOTE]

Emotional investment has little to do with it... All I'm saying is the number of negative reviews being highlighted doesn't match the percentage of negative reviews. If 30% of reviews are negative then surely 30% of highlighted reviews should be as well. I wasn't really commenting on the contents of said reviews, some are actually quite reasonable as represent a valid view, however as it stands a vocal minority (based on the numbers) are getting a disproportionate representation.

Irrespective my main vested interest in this is I'd like uber to be able to continue development as there is so much more that could be done. Removing pa from steam isn't going to help, I just think the steam review system could do with tweaking.
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The most helpful reviews really need to be updated... now.

It makes me so angry that the reviews from September and November are still on the most helpful tab, and they are shown first.

Maybe we can all help by up voting the most recent ones? That's what I'm going to do right now.
    Remy561 and g0hstreaper like this.
  18. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Maybe just have a reliable 3rd party write a review then post it so it gives a real in-depth look?
    -or would that be to much?
  19. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

Brutal harsh and unyielding, that’s the Steam user reviews. According to the Steam user review guidelines, a developer can leave a comment. “If you want the coinage of the great unwashed…you’ll have to deal with their stench”

Q. I'm a game developer. Can I respond to reviews?
    A. Yes, when you post in the comments of reviews on your product, your comment will be flagged as being from the developer.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

How about putting up a banner on the store pages with "Update your video drivers before playing the game!!".
    This might help with the many reviews which report crashes...
    squishypon3, Geers and xankar like this.