PA Stats usage statistics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, November 5, 2014.

1. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

As much as I love all these posts, and all these valid points.
    As a game, I'd settle for a galactic war where the AI tries to retake territory from me, and a feature complete game.
    Everything else is just icing on the cake.

To unpack that a bit, the only reason why I dont' really play PA is because I'm not being stimulated enough.
    As much as I wanna love the game, and I'm staggered by the sheer creativity behind it, the game doesn't provoke me to problem solve a whole lot. Although the ai as a whole is nothing to sneeze at.

There are just some problems, like invading other planets, destroying other planets, and galactic war that just don't feel very well adjusted to me, so half the time I skip most of it because it's easier to, and because it doesn't make sense for me to consider the inbetween options and simply go for the ultra game enders. But that rant belongs in a different forum post.

Edit: Sorry I should clarify, I skip most of the inbetween steps of army/nukes and such, and go straight to halleys/ metal planets if available. Because there isn't enough challenge for me to feel pressed to use inbetween stuff, like nukes or artillery. Although that could be just the way I play.
    Last edited: November 10, 2014
    ReddWolff likes this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Sorry for necroing a sort of old thread, but I thought it was worth mentioning this page

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but that is the opposite of what PA stats shows.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This has been covered - Steam Charts only counts steam users.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

when you necro actually read the topic before you do :p
    proeleert and Quitch like this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

Steam Charts is looking pretty healthy, and at the time of this post there is almost a triple in the number of steam players, 1196 playing currently.

Pretty good.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Steam sale.
  7. killerkiwijuice

And 1v1 update, it was good timing :)
  8. cola_colin

Though I'd guess a patch that brings substantial balance changes (read gameplay changes) might attract more people, as many people are not playing for gameplay reasons.
    Looking forward to that december patch.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

I guess what we need foremost, are more frequent public status updates and a more aggressive distribution of these, even if it's "just" a PTE update. You can really see how the player base crumbled away when they had shut down communication in spring 2014, as well as the rapid drop off when communication was cut again right after release.
    cola_colin likes this.
  10. cola_colin

/agree
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

12. cola_colin

updated with recent data.
    It seems since release the pa stats usage has decline a bit and ended up on the same level as in summer of ~400 users per week. The recent surge in players due to the steam sale is quite visible though. Considering PA Stats has a few less users compared to release it's not seeing as much as it did back then.

Not bad overall though I'd say. The PA Stats usage numbers are not really changing on a larger scale, but the player seen count does show a certain pattern of big jumps with a decline afterwards, reaching for higher values on every big jump.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Im inclined to believe it's because of the fact matchmaking is now in vanilla, as well as stat tracking.
    cptconundrum and Quitch like this.
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

we dont need frequent updates ... we need updates with propper impact ... updates that help galactic war to be fun and chalanging as well as making orbital play more intresting are such impactfull updates ...
  15. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Nice update @cola_colin - I retract my previous arguments. We clearly were in a large downtrend at that time but the steam sales have put us back in an upward direction.
  16. cola_colin

yeah. Let's hope more updates combined with more sales will come in our direction.

looking at the steam sale charts (by revenue generated) I guess we will see more sales in the future...
    http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=-50628,233250&range=180