PA Replay and Spectating tech

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, April 19, 2013.

1. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Australia has slow Internet. It's getting better with the NBN rollout (Australians will understand this).

But, basically, I usually can't stream 720P (or 1080P) YouTube. I have to let it buffer up a whole bunch.

It's not so much the amount of downloads we get per billing month, but how long it takes for us to get anything.
  2. r1zoTo

r1zoTo Member

Are these replays Multi-Platform (linux to windows)? Can you save replays from your own games (like in WC3 at score screen "save replay" button)?
  3. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

The intent is for everything to be Multi-Platform, but you'll have to wait for official word on whether or not it is implemented on all of them yet (my gut says, if not now, then within a week or so).
    And as far as I can tell, the answer to your second question is yes, that your entire replay is automatically saved as you play.
  4. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Nuetrino

I am a fan of Games Replays.

With the PA Replay and Spectating Tech, will replaying modded games be relatively easy too?

I think one of the big reasons mods are not more popular for many games is the following:
    A. Distribution - is it easy to share?
    B. Turning on and off without bugs - does it cause more crashes?
    C. Replays and Support - is it supported?

Obviously, GamesReplays.org would be a lot more popular host of cool mod replays if it is easy for people to watch them.

Using this technology: Would people need the mod to play the replay? Would the replay contain the mod and version? Could people fork new games off of an older version of the game and/or a mod of the game?