PA + orchestral music = honey + herring = crap

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sokolek, September 13, 2012.

1. samothtronicien

samothtronicien New Member

2. finesseseth

finesseseth New Member

I think the OP is thinking of the wrong game.. PA isn't about technology or little pansy gadgets..

It's about WAR. Utter and complete devastation of ENTIRE planets, despair, loss, and tragedy.

But from the depths of the evils of war come love, compassion and humanity.

How can you capture all those emotions? You get up to 100 instruments playing in harmony or clashing wildly in a torrent of music. An orchestra.

There is no substitute.
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Fully agree!
  4. thorneel

thorneel Member

And about as much over-the-top awesomeness as possible. Which is why overbrassy orchestral is actually the way to go. It would probably sound absolutely ridiculous in another context, but looking at the Kickstarter video, it's exactly what is needed to fit the style of the game.

But you should forget things like love, compassion and humanity. Those most probably disappeared millennia ago with mankind, after all.
  5. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

I think for most people classical music can stir something deep inside them which they didn't realise was there. Mix that with something epic that is happening in a game and you have a winner. The OP perhaps doesn't feel the same way about Classical music which is OK :). the OP probably also understands and can appreciate the nuances of more electronic based music and it seems as though that it certainly speaks to them in a way none of us can really understand.

I suppose it speaks to the OP the same way classical speaks to us. To the OP I say good on you for putting your ideas out there and for providing links to back yourself up. The Devs might make it possible for you to swap out the games music with your own play list. But for PA I think Classical will speak to the masses and will invoke a sense of epic wonder that the Devs are trying to achieve.

Cheers,
  6. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

@ OP: rofl

Edit: The rofling has ceased. Deep Sadness has arisen now.
  7. Shigawire

Shigawire New Member

@ OP: LOL Kraftwerk... seriously? :D
    That's really just funny and non-epic music.

Q:
    Does anyone feel like destroying solar systems when they listen to Kraftwerk, or does the nature of the music make you want to remain still and apathetic?

A deeper question is... can everyone feel the same emotions from the same music, or are our brains wired differently, with different degrees of musical aptitude? I would claim that most people don't have the necessary wiring to enjoy "more complicated music." I know tons of people personally, who don't know it themselves, but are internally tone deaf and rhythm deaf. But they can't tell me about it, because they don't know what they are missing.

What kind of emotions do we feel when we listen to Kraftwerk vis a vis Jeremy Soule?
    Jeremy Soule's music from Skyrim, or Total Annihilation? In my opinion, though the tracks are very short, the orchestral music in Total Annihilation is still some of the best ever made for any game or movie for that matter.

However, it's still possible to infuse electronic sounds into an orchestral score.
    Daft Punk did BRILLIANTLY for making the "Tron Legacy" movie soundtrack.
    And I did not like Daft Punk originally..

Daft Punk - Tron Legacy OST - #7 Rinzler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2j5rR86RHQ&hd=1
  8. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

You know hat the actual problem is... we have robots fighting each other... fighting robots is not as epic as fighting humans - the robots fight for... wining, with no emotions and feelings involved, whilst humans might fight for ethical values or for survival (for example in some man vs. alien stories – man will go extinct if he does not fight the alien invader and prevail). The latter is undoubtedly more epic than fighting robots. Fighting robots can be awesome... but not necessary epic.Overly-epic pieces such as “Heart of Courage” (which I don't even like that much, as it is too kitschy for my taste... But many other people like it and it is well known, so I will use it as an example here) might not be well suited for a sterile setting such as PA.
    ...I hope you get what I mean...^^
  9. Shigawire

Shigawire New Member

Why would AIs be precluded from the epic-ness of mankind? I think the biggest problem with that is that it's an ignorant human pretense at understanding of something that doesn't exist yet, thus something which the human cannot understand or even describe.

And inherent in that there's also the notion of human sentient exceptionalism. Who knows what we'll learn when and if the first thinking machines come to the surface? Even though all of our efforts to differentiate emotion from the brain, a part of the old brain-soul dualism b.s. from religious people. But guess what. Emotion is still just a category of brain activity. It's brain circuitry that manifests in various categories of cognitive activities. Who's to say the thinking machines won't have something analogous to "emotions"? Or maybe the thinking machines will eventually exhibit something so profound that we won't even be able to understand what it is...
  10. Eldorwanabe

Eldorwanabe New Member

I just Pledged more as to help insure we get an awesome soundtrack. Many people fail to realize how big a deal the sound is in these games. It helps give the feeling of accomplishing great and mighty things! Classical is the best way to get that, or so I feel.
  11. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Nononononononononononononononoononononononononoononononononononononoononononononononononononononononononono!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Electronic music would rape the environment and make the game seem like some awful pop culture crap like dubstep UGH!

90% of electronic music is bad, this is fact.
  12. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

Techno and electronic I feel does not fit the scope of the game, while orchestra does. Sure elements of electronic would work well, but mostly orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff2tM4-n ... F5SjcpSFrA

I listen to that and it is easy for me to imagine a planet being bombarded with asteroids, or a base being bombed back into the stone age beneath a hail of artillery fire and carpet bombing.
  13. zordon

zordon Member

This thread, and all the opinions expressed within it are bad, and you should all feel bad.
  14. erastos

erastos Member

15. foxenn

foxenn New Member

Agree.
  16. agmarstrick

agmarstrick Member

17. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

There's no denying that there are SOME electronic songs that are epic.

However, that genre of music would not fit with this type of game. Electronic music is not bombastic enough to fit a scene where you are trying to destroy a planet.

EDIT: By electronic songs, I do not mean dubstep.
  18. zordon

zordon Member

There isn't a facepalm big enough. Seriously, the amount of misinformed, nieve, generalised, chest beating, idiot, bandwagoning going on in this thread has made my eyes roll out the back of my head.

I am dissapoint.
  19. RCIX

RCIX Member

Oh the irony, given your post above...

I have also never wanted a forum downvote button more than I have right now.
  20. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

huh?