PA + orchestral music = honey + herring = crap

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sokolek, September 13, 2012.

1. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Wow, clearly the OP hasn't heard any 'Two Steps from Hell' before.

Mike
  3. sokolek

sokolek Member

I know and thank you. I agree with you, but kraftwerk is not classical in specific sense, it is electronic and exactly electro, but it may have some classical influences like Jarre's music. Kraftwerk is classic in the sense that it is original and revolutionary. They pretty much made electro more popular or maybe they even invented it.
  4. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

5. thorneel

thorneel Member

Nope. But it wouldn't be adapted to PA, so go for orchestral.
  6. svip

svip Member

Clearly no fans of The Neverhood soundtrack around here. So I won't suggest that.

I also like me some Flight of the Bumblebee.
    Last edited: September 13, 2012
  7. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

Somewhat in defense of Sokolek, I've gotta say, though I like big, bombastic, epic orchestral tracks, but there's also a place in my heart for Hell March.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

The best part of all this is that you can listen to whatever you want while playing, so everyone can be happy.
  8. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

That would be a pretty funny combination.
  9. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

Multiple sentence end punctuations within close proximity : Confirmed.

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.
  10. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

I like you.
  11. svip

svip Member

Care for some "Operator Plays a Little Pingpong" while crashing an asteroid into a planet?
  12. sokolek

sokolek Member

It is a good music but not for PA. It is too romantic for PA. It would be rather good for representing the wife looking for her lost husband in the ashes of battlefield than for representing huge hi-tech base beeing blasted off the surface of the planet with asteroid or two huge high tech armies clashing in the battle. This music would be good for showing masses of people during funreal of John Paul II on the TV. Why? Because it lacks the dynamics of modern warfare and high tech influences. Good sci-fi RTS music is not the romantic one but the one that makes you think about technology and huge futuristic war itself even when such music is not associated with RTS.
  13. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

Nope. But it wouldn't be adapted to PA, so go for orchestral.[/quote]

Gotta love that sound track. Homeworld was so incredible in creating a compelling atmosphere that matched the setting.
  14. boolybooly

boolybooly Member

Sweet cure herring is delicious I can promise you.

Orchestral music is a cooperative and expert blending of the human ear the human hand and the human soul.

What electronica misses is the creativity of a group of people and it misses the human hand in the act of creation. Digital timing and pitch reproduction lacks nuance even with well realised reproduction instruments and subtle construction, it just lacks the feeling that an expert musician can create with their instrument, moreso an orchestra lead by an eminent conductor.

Synthesised music can be beautiful, diverting and uplifting but there is very little electronica that can show as much feeling even as a well played guitar. My first reaction on reading the update was a big "COOL!"

An orchestral performance creates vital music which is alive, like the update said and there is no substitute.

IMHO orchestral music in PA will add something special, blowing up planets to Mario Kart 7 - Rainbow World just wouldnt be the same.

So totally worth it IMHO and I hope the Kickstarter makes the stretch.
  15. sokolek

sokolek Member

But this is not orchestral soundtrack. It is electronic ambient.
  16. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

Did you only listen to the first 30 seconds? It picks up right about there. I don't expect to completely change your mind either way, but your description doesn't fit. A funeral? Are you serious? No way you listened beyond the first 30 seconds.
  17. sokolek

sokolek Member

18. giantsnark

giantsnark Member

Either you are dumber than I thought (thinking he was seriously suggesting PA music), or you are doubling down on your trolling. Not sure which.
  19. sokolek

sokolek Member

20. MasterSJT

MasterSJT New Member

The origanal TA music was the best music i have heard in a game it changed based on what you were doing eg battle, post battle repairs and i thought that was a good system to use and the variation in classic music allowed that to change with little in the genre of music

my fav one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mOG3Q8CSoY