PA on Xbox One?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by KnavishPlum, November 8, 2015.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

SupCom 1 was crap on consoles and SupCom2 was crap on PC because it was made for consoles.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

yes, I agree with you 100%. But as a console rts Supcom 2, to me, was good. its actually what lead to PA in the first place.

to me, Halo Wars and SupCom 2, are proof that rts games can be made on consoles. I just hope HW2 expands upon it.

I mean, personally, I feel a console version would work. some elements would have to be removed (system editor). But, I think it could be done, navigating the sphere maps would not be as hard as some would think on a controller.
  3. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

I can't understand why anyone would ever want an RTS on a console or want to play an RTS with a controler!? It would be horrible!
  4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Last edited: November 12, 2015
  5. KnavishPlum

I would have loved for HW to be on PC and be bigger HW2 is to be on PC and Xbox, so that's a plus. And while they are slower then PC RTS games, they can still be fun. Again, I just thought that PA would be a nice fit for a fun little RTS game on Xbox. To me, HW and SupCom 2 are great examples of what a good console RTS can be.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this actually makes sense to me.

I guess the question you're really asking since it was such a unique event is : "when will there be another RTS developed specifically for console? and particularly an SPRTS?" (simulated projectile)

an the answer on my part is :"I don't know" :(

the other people in this thread do bring up relevant points. such as the inferior hardware and control devices of the Xbox One as compared to the steam machine (and I'd be tempted to say nvidia's shield if it wasn't for the controller that's inferior to steam's)

you really wanna be looking at that and forgetting all about that windows 10 cross-compatibility bullshit
    that's stuff's just marketing that'll never amount to anything.

you should be more interested (I think) in what wayland-vulkan has to offer than directx12
    n00n likes this.
  7. KnavishPlum

well, forgetting the windows 10 stuff, I don't really understand, Halo wars 2 and the things its bringing, like, KB and mouse support and other features, really opens the opportunities for Xbox to get good rts games.
  8. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

To get pa on x-b1 uber would probably need to run a kickstarter. Seeing as there last kickstarter got shot down It's unlikely they will risk another. Getting the game on x1 could be a life saver for uber if it sold well but I don't think its very likely sadly.
  9. tatsujb

you're forgetting PA is a different kind of game. it's a subclass of the RTS branch. an SPRTS "Simulated Projectile"

so that right of the bat demands a kind of CPU that is just leagues away from the Xbox 360 as well as the Xbox One's

apparently the one has a custom 1.75GHz AMD 8-core CPU. I don't doubt that custom implies a different architecture than i368 which means it'll be inferior at simulation calculations.

ergo your plain old laptop will already do a better job. not only that but PA is rather porly threaded so the 8 cores won't do much good and the pitiful 1.75Ghz is the finishing blow.

but we're not at the end of our worries.

SPRTS don't only feature simulated projectiles. they also feature strategic zoom. and in this case big-*** planets with lots and lots and lots of detail and lots and lots and lots of units. all this once zoomed out (despite the texture scaling and LOD) will amount to a necessity for gigantic amounts of visual ram (relatively. as per older min specs, I consider a minimum of 2Gigs of vram to be rather steep of a min spec requirement). As I understand it neither Xbox one nor PS4 have dedicated visual ram. they just share the main ram. and their graphics chip aren't all that good.

these are technical difficulties that require remaking the game from the ground up with different scales, gameplay and user interface in mind.

If Supcom2's strategic zoom was such a rip-off I think in it's planned port to xbox lies the reason.
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@tatsujb you need to brush up on your hardware :p

The Xbox one cpu (and ps4 for that matter) are both based on AMDs puma core. It's a small efficient core but has similar ipc to the desktop fx piledriver core (so ipc, whilst behind Intel, isn't actually that bad), and is a full x86-64 design and *not* a 32bit archaic i386 based core like atom.

You are correct the main problem is clock speed, although keep in mind uber actually did a good job of threading the graphs pipeline (3 threads) and ui (many threads) so the main bottleneck on that cpu would be simulation. Now as uber run the SIM online then that problem goes away.

I think pa would run and with a bit of tuning could be configured to maintain 30 fps (which is adequate for an rts).

I could actually test the theory by down clocking my fx to 1.75ghz just to see what frame rate I get....

I mean it's all academic as uber aren't going to release on Xbox (too much work needed to rework the control scheme) but from a hardware perspective I really think it would work as the new consoles are pc hardware.
  11. tatsujb

that's a leap in assumptions. Uber have servers for PC yes. but they cannot connect these to xboxes (AFAIK). They'd have to either implement communication between those servers (I don't know how hard that would be to do but I assume very) or set up new servers connected straight to the xbox network.

playing with PC players is a whole other story (the windows port would apparently have to be re-developed from the ground up with this in mind and on windows 10).

And sorry I assumed 64bit was also categorized as a i368 architecture just with a double sized register. Seemed to me like the two architectures are very similar if not identical. So I thought it would be the most correct naming of a 64bit cpu's architecture.

what I'm saying is : you compare an ARM chip and a i368 chip for example; you'll find more differences than a i368 and x86-64.
    and those difference are differences that matter ALOT for simulation.
    ...and this is what I was getting at.

XBOX chip @A frequency and B cores != PC chip @A frequency and B cores

the Xbobx chip is still missing libraries and arguments that the PC chip uses alot for simulations in particular.
  12. cdrkf

XBox cores are the same as ones used in AMD processors *on the bloody PC*. They are full, X86-64 cpu cores, capable of all the same extensions available on a modern PC including the SSE and even AVX (although the core in question only operates avx at half rate, although PA doesn't use those extensions anyway).

The point is, the core used in the Xbox One has all the capabilities required for PA. I mean you can run PA on Phenom 1 and Core 2 Duo processors (probably even as far back as Athlon 64), and I can tell you the Puma core includes many far newer extensions than available on those older designs.

Tests have shown that Puma clock for clock matches AMD's Piledriver cores in performance, so an FX @ 1.75ghz is representative of the Xbox One cpu at that speed. Also as the Xbox One runs Windows 10 (a platform that PA is already supported on), I contest the fact that it needs such a large re-write of the game.

If the game can run playable on a 1.75ghz cpu, then it should work. There may be specific work needed to get around artificial barriers put up by Microsoft on their network, that I agree with, although on the topic of *can it actually run on that hardware*- I'm fairly sure it can.
  13. KnavishPlum

actually Psyonix, developers of rocket league said that after the most recent update, windows games and Xbox games have become way similar, which is why xbox may get RL.

Quoted from a Gotta be Mobile article: “I can’t say. We’re looking at all kinds of platforms and there may be some announcements coming up at some point. Hopefully before the end of the year, but I can’t confirm that.” With the game already on Windows PCs and the PS4, the only other platform left does seem to be Microsoft’s Xbox One. In fact, bringing the game to the Xbox One would theoretically be easy. Recent upgrades to the Xbox One have made the development process for making Xbox One games, technically very similar to that of Windows PCs."

again, at this point this is all theoretical.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Why is this thread even alive.

There is a -101% chance of this happening for PA.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. cdrkf

Ok so I've just done a test, PA on my FX at 1.7 ghz (can't set to 1.75 exactly).

It runs ok. A lot slower than at 3.5ghz of course, but certainly playable, and on high graphics settings.

I used a single planet map (Loch to be specific), against a single Absurd AI, using local server (so everything running on this machine).

Frame rates on high settings held between 25 and 35 fps the whole game. No major problem.

Obviously all totally academic of course as I agree with @killerkiwijuice it isn't going to happen, but an interested experiment at least :)
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Because somebody is wrong on the Internet of course! ;)
  17. KnavishPlum

guys, I have said theoretical so many times now. why can't we just have some fun and just talk about if it were possible or what it could be like?
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Because it's pointless and a waste of time.
  19. KnavishPlum

well, that is all opinion, wouldn't that make anything theoretical a waste of time?
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

No.

PA would not work on xbox one, control scheme and processing power would make it terrible. Uber would not bring out a game to be used exclusively with a m+kb. This means that the game would have to be completely remade as something else, a different game.

Meaning xbox one w10 mumbo jumbo is irrelevant and the game would be entirely different.

I'm with Stuart on this one, it's just naval gazing.

Edit: Even if they did make PA as it is work on xbox one flawlessly and the controls were a dream no one would buy it anyway, further moot.
    stuart98 likes this.