PA Metacritic reviews

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Shwyx, September 9, 2014.

1. jacob29

jacob29 Member

For me personally, I wont touch the game till a ladder and matchmaking are out.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Last edited: September 10, 2014
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

squishypon3 likes this.
  4. jacob29

jacob29 Member

Is that the same as just logging into a game and clicking "Find Match" or do I have to compare ratings to other people and hound them for a game?

Also does everyone playing PA have that mod? no? well thats too bad.
  5. cdrkf

Bah you *would* insist on the one that I'm ranked lower on :p (24th on 1 v 1, 51st on Uberskill :()
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

From what I can gather, there is a healthy number of people using the mod, that you will likely find balanced opponents fairly soon. And it is just click and play I think, although I don't use it personally. Yet.
  7. cdrkf

You need to get the mod (pretty simple to set up) and then click on PA:Stats Auto-match and it will match you with someone of equivalent skill on the ladder. It also notifies you when someone of a similar level is searching to save time.

It works pretty well- Colin has been running it for quite a while although they reset the ladder with the official launch.

I don't think it's necessary for *everyone* to have it as many people aren't that into the competitive scene, although I think it would be a good idea for Uber to make this mod along with 'system sharing' accessible from within the game as both of those are essential for competitive game-play.

I'm not saying it's perfect, still it is a pretty capable system :)

Edit: Also not saying your wrong to wait for something official, I just thought you might be interested that there is something available now.
    drz1 likes this.
  8. jacob29

jacob29 Member

I wasn't aware so thanks for that.

It isn't just to be competitive but I want to have a fair fight. I haven't played the game much so I can assume I am pretty poor at game theory on it and don't want to get slapped real bad every game.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. cdrkf

Well if you join the PA:Stats ladder your likely to get hard matches to start with, as everyone starts with a default rating of 2000. Once you lose a few matches you'll drop down the ladder a bit until your fighting players of the same level, then hopefully start to climb up a bit. The reason I think you'll have a hard fight initially is the ladder was reset, so *everyone* is starting out at 2000 again.

The other option would be to get a bit of practice in first, you'd be most welcome to come onto TeamSpeak and play us for some games for example (you don't have to have a mic either, you can use TS for text chat to arrange games as well).

It isn't too hard to get the basics down for multi-player if you have someone to show you the ropes. Then you can experiment and try and find some unique builds from there.

You can find our TS details at the following:
    https://sites.google.com/site/prometheanpa/contact
  10. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Two of the biggest german game magazines previews both write that its unfinished and should still be in Beta. Releasing the game in such an unfinished state will have a major impact on future early access titles.

They criticize exactly what the people said had to be finished before release but Uber did not want to delay it further.
    Uber will get the reviews from the game magazines they deserve for rushing out the game. The current metacritic of 6.8 will not stay there for sure.
  11. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Yep, it went to 6.9.
  12. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

You just click 1vs1 in the multiplayer menu.
  13. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I just realised something: We are looking at it from the totally wrong point of view. This isn't a bad score by any means. That is a damn good score consideringthe circumstances.

This is a RTS that lacks offline play, savegames, has a limited unit selection, has no graphics to write home about or voiceacting/cutsecenes/storymode at all.
    For all these factors a Metacritic score of 6.9 is absolutely awesome! Most other games would be hard pressed to get that much if they had such a start.

And that is only the tip of the iceberg. Aside from graphics and immersion the problem will be fixed so the score is only going up!
    drz1 likes this.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The graphics are great. O.O and the unit selection is just about the same amount for one of the factions in Supcom. :p
  15. ahrimofnor

ahrimofnor Member

So basically what I gathered from the reviews are that they can be split into largely two groups, based on the time in which they were written.

First, there is the early July 2014 reviews criticizing PA for being prohibitively expensive and not delivering on promises. Which is fine, although the reviews fail to mention that PA was in a late alpha / beta (I forget the timings on all of this. It was so long ago) state. Therefore, the bias on the reviews is pretty major and their concern is understandable although ultimately not applicable to the final game product. This is unfortunate as it just sorta brings down the game rating with worthless rants as opposed to objective reviews of the game.

Second, there are reviews written in Early September. These reviews have credence and I agree with their points. Save games should be implemented into PA although I feel that some of PAs mechanics (read chronocam) make save games difficult. Additionally, the UI could use some work. Dedicated servers & offline play should have been released before PA hit 1.0 in my opinion, feel free to debate at your leisure.

Ultimately the low metascore is largely due to rants made months ago and have no credence to the game in its current state. That being said, recent reviews do understandably critique the game heavily. The score metric might be low (0 for any game in my opinion shows a lack of objective criticism / thoughts on the game, same as a 10 might) but ultimately its a bit skewed while containing some gems which Uber should definitely, definitely take into consideration.

TL: DR - The metascore numeric rating is out-of-whack due to reviews of score "0" made months ago. However, the recent negative reviews cite problems in the game which Uber is working on but should have been released (once again, in my opinion) before 1.0

EDIT: fixed the freaking TL: DR becoming a smiley face 0.o
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Type it TL;DR, It is CORRECT that way.
  17. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

18. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I thought the 1/5 review was overly harsh, but there ya go.
  19. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

H hahaha the only bit that was in English on the eurogamer review was a picture caption: if you want to battle you're in denial.coming from Uranus to check my style.
    With a pic of two nukes going off and a comm explosion.
    I give that experience 8/10.

Interesting that most of the reviews are German. Did they not get early access?
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I keep reading those critic reviews over and over again....and even the 80 doesn't make sense. They all seem to have walked in with a preconception, played 10-15 hours, and then made a review. Why are they comparing it to other, FLAT MAP RTS games? WTF? This game is in a league of it's own. I get the comparison within the genre, but gameplay is just completely different from any other RTS on the planet. You have to actually get into it a little to understand.