PA LiveStream: February 8th, 2013

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, February 6, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

2. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Good show :) The Delta looks totally awesome with those animations.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Will there be a youtube vid version of this? I wanna download it to my desktop :3
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

5. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I just wanted to say this was one of the best livestreams yet! Very exciting and lots of good info.
  6. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I hope I'll be able to use my Maya and XSI animation skills to make stuff for your character rigs. I don't remember if you mentioned, but what do you animate with for PA, or what file type are you putting into the engine?

Favorite moment of the discussion was when Mavor went into how the textures will be able to be overlaid in-game, so tank treads and such will be persistant.

With the emphasis on non-upradeable units, simplified controls, better AI and macro focus, this game is going to be none of the micro-managing bullshit and numbers, and instead by smashing waves of destruction across pristine solare systems. Cannot wait to play this ****.

As far as weather goes, that feels like good mod territory. It could be done entirely as a visual add-on, and because visuals are all rendered locally, there's no reason everyone else would be required to have the same plug-in, right? Some amazing visuals could be created if an atmosphere were simulated, so that the sheer mass of your army of machines would heat up the area and cause the weather to change, or the amount of dust kicked up would form huge pluming clouds

That said, too much atmospheric weather would get in the way of gameplay visibility, so it may be just as well that it's not being done for the base game ....... still ..... maybe auroras? auroras that react to energy weapons or something? :shock:
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Last I had heard, they were looking into using .fbx, which is good news as t shouldn't need anything fancy for exporting, XSI has an .fbx format by default even.

Mike
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Yeah, FBX is a pretty universal format (afaik) for models, textures AND animation, so it really doesn't matter which 3d package you're using at this point.
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Awesome! This is the best animation und unit design in an RTS game in my opinion. Without the animation I though the arms and shoulders are to big, but now... I Love this ****! This is ******* awesome! :mrgreen:
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Guys this is just simply amazing :eek:
    honestly i was not expecting a so cool animation for the commander.
    Thanks a lot for sharing with us the design process of the commander.
    I've never felt so confident about PA.
    Again, thanks a lot !
  11. paprototype

paprototype Member

Was thrilled to hear the tech Carmack used on rage will be in PA !!!!
    Rage has absolutely astonishing graphics ... revolutionary detail.