PA League Martius Mayhem (Tournament)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 21, 2014.

1. shootall

shootall Active Member

Last edited: March 2, 2014
  2. naginacz

naginacz Member

I had great fun.
    Thank you all. Especially the organizers.

My only feedback is:
    The organizers could write in the chat in a different color than the participants.
    Especially when observers announce which games they will attend.

The reporting results of games is perfect.

I'm looking forward to the next tournament :)
  3. shootall

shootall Active Member

reptarking likes this.
  4. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

He did not target the unit being built instead just waiting for it to finish. the person with the air factory can pause production to stop that. or can also just get some damn AA by his air factories.
  5. shootall

shootall Active Member

Thanks for the clarification.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm hoping PA Matches will eventually gather all the links together. @brianpurkiss, you on this?
  7. Quitch

Why does the final results posting not match the scoreboard?
  8. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

Where what, show me.
  9. Quitch

Final Results
    Supreme Champion:Cola_Colin
    Worthy Adversary:Matizpl
    Maybe Next Time:Godde

Rank Participant Name Challonge UserMatch W-L-T(wins +2.0, ties +1.0)Byes(+2.0)Tie-break Score ( ? )SCORE
    1 Cola_Colin –5 - 1 - 0036.010.0
    2 Godde –5 - 1 - 0034.010.0
    3 burntcustard –5 - 1 - 0034.010.0
    4 Matizpl –5 - 1 - 0030.010.0
  10. Martenus

So far as we understand, the final results on the top are just ranks and the scoreboard are the actual results. I will ask at challonge for confirmation.
  11. Martenus

Ok so I just got an email from a challonge developer and he said that the results on top got bugged and he will look into that. The final results on top should reflect what is down in the scoreboard, the scoreboard is with actual results.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. Quitch

While they're at it, can you ask them why the question mark next to Tie Break doesn't do anything? I assume it should be display a pop-up or something. I checked in both Chrome and IE11.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Must say that the organization of Saturdays tournament was brilliant. Great job all involved. Understand the reason for the 40 minute win or draw rule but think it can be a problem if the players are just having an epic game.

I wasn't a big fan of the Swiss system however. Luck shouldn't be such a factor in a tournament. Ie. lose one of your first couple of games and you have no chance of winning. But losing one of your last games and you can win.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  14. Quitch

I don't understand this.
  15. Martenus

Thanks mate, we will do our best in future again and hopefully improve.
    It is not that easy to say that about the Swiss.

There is two other possibilities:
    • Elimination
    • Round Robin
    Elimination is not fair compared to Swiss, it is even more based on luck. You get matched against a hard player, you will end immediatelly. Can also happen that some big rivals are matched together too early and then one cannot advance to take some reasonable place.

Round Robin is more fair to everyone, not based on luck at all. But ... it would take forever. We don't have that much time. A single tournament would have to last multiple days and that is not what we are aiming for.

Also to clarify about what you said, losing is a part of Swiss System and it differs to who do you lose to, rather than when, because the Tie-Breakers recounts at the end. If you lose to a player X in 1st round or 5th, your tie-breaker linked to this player wouldn't differ much.

And to say, Swiss become more fair and more accurate the more rounds you add. I have a plan for next tournament to address this and I will try to test it. We will see how it goes. But I need to make sure there is a space for epic battles, like you said, and still a reasonable total duration of the tournament.
  16. Martenus

It does work for me sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't, it is wierd. There is supposed to be a mouse-over box appearing.
  17. j4cko

j4cko Member

@ clopse tell that to Matizpl ;)
  18. Quitch

I really liked the Swiss and think it's excellent for the minor tournaments because it keeps you involved throughout and encourages participation from people who wouldn't otherwise bother turning out just to be early round fodder. It also means every game matters to me because I'm looking to improve my placing on the final standings. This led to my final gaming being my most exciting game.

Probably the biggest issue was the accuracy of the seedings. Once there's an official in-game ladder I expect this to improve significantly. Most people simply don't have enough games logged on the PA Stats ladder to make for a meaningful rating.

How many games ended in a tie? I certainly wouldn't want more than 60 minutes a round or a six hour tournament. Competitive 1v1 is stressful :)

Elimination is more appropriate for tournaments the big guns partake in, perhaps using best of X for each round.
    Murcanic likes this.
  19. j4cko

j4cko Member

Oh and yeah, liked the tournament but it lacked a bit on organization side - it's to be expected when starting something new like this tho :)

I didn't like not keeping end of the deal when something is spoken on TS by organizator. Will be more suspicious next time ;)
  20. Martenus

Yea, I expected he would be behind Colin. Didn't expect to be that far, but well. Maths, I cannot fight with that.

You can expect one more round in future. That will make first 3 ranks much more accurate.
    j4cko likes this.