PA is currently a boring pork fest !

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by radmoustic, October 19, 2013.

1. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Im not rong ,and for now i wont wast time play PA ,when i have FAF,until i think its a decent rts with decent changes.
    Iff i play 3/6 times PA was too mutch and never to the and,too boring .
    Im not english , and this is only what i feel.
    I honastly hope all players like this game,its just not the game i thought .
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

That's not a date. That's just a Month. There is no exact date set in stone.
  3. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

1st off.
    Please apologize to pork.
    Pig is a wonderful animal that gives us many amazing delights.
    Please don't use it as an insult.
    piggie.jpg

2ndly.
    DAMN. That stuff looks amazing.

[​IMG]
    This just blows my mind.

and WOW!

I wish PA will have this.
    kalherine likes this.
  4. radmoustic

radmoustic New Member

The thing is, I don't really care about the technical issues, the PA team is full of very good devs and artists (I am a c++ dev, and I am impressed by how fast PA is going). So even if the UI, and everything is not perfect yet, it will eventually be.

But when I watch the live streams, and I've watched all of them, it doesn't look like any of the members of uber is good at playing PA or any other RTS game. What I noticed in the Spring community, is that devs are often very bad players, and they are the worst people to make a good game (see the ZK people, dev team ... bad game). What I liked about Balanced Annihilation, is that it has been balanced by good players so that's it's a Real Time Strategy game and not a Real Time Simcity game.

I hope you don't forget what makes a good game, good devs or artists don't make a good game !
    Last edited: October 19, 2013
    shootall likes this.
  5. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

That's what we are for. They develope the game, we tell them what's imbalanced and what isn't. :p
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Now imagine just 1 guy making a game

http://www.nag.co.za/2013/08/02/this-ambitious-rts-is-being-developed-by-one-man/

Put you think isnt it?
    Culverin likes this.
  7. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I suppose we're all just ignoring the fact that only half of the final unit roster is actually implemented yet...

I wonder how many people actually read that beta disclaimer before clicking agree.

EDIT: I absolutely love pork in all its forms
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  8. osun

osun New Member

I will also menion the key point. This is because commander upgrades must be balanced along with other game "tech" to be actually in game. Initially commander prevents games from being a competitions on who will better micro 1st bot in enemy's base. So that strategy part of RTS would really happen. But later in game it's hard (impossible?) to balance commander upgrades to be both usable and also weak enough to keep commander from staying too much of decisive force, as in this case games are going to be commpush micro competitions without much of strategy behind it(as one wouldn't afford spending resources on anything, despite things keeping the rambo comm alive).

Oh, how I'm looking forward for this.

Hm-m-m...
    t1 -> basic
    t2 upgrade -> advanced factory
    t2 -> advanced
    t3 upgrade -> orbital launcher
    t3, t4 units -> orbital units OR very expensive units OR very expensive advanced buildings
    Also, as we know, in SC:FA some many units from t2 and t3 was making lower tech units completely obsolete. And all sorts of lower tech units was possible to produce from higher tech factory.
    In PA advanced units seem to be designed to have weaknessed agains basic units (which is brilliant!), and also I didn't find a way to produce basic units from advanced factories.

So I would say, it's possible to find in PA's tree no less layers, but different.

IMO now PA is boring as hell in terms of gameplay, but I like to believe, that or Uber team, or modders will eventually make something truly great out of this :)
  9. volcciss

volcciss New Member

Currently the problem is unit balance and lack of all developed units. Also in my opinion, units should be faster. Its boring to command units when everything moves like a turtle and it doesnt need that much micro management too. Its strategically easier and its less fun, so why not to increase their movement speed?

And I also agree that if only option is a massive deathball, its not fun. Its not strategically hard to make +10 bot/vehicle factories and spam units for 5min. You only need to get certain amount of mass and energy to achieve that and when factories like all buildings are building very efficiently, its not hard to do.

I still understand this is beta and there is some units missing, but I'd really like of faster game speed. Like SC:FAF.
  10. amphok

amphok Member

is this game for real, or just a mod?
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what does it look like? of course it's for real. look at starforge. that's just three dudes.
    what we see there definitely looks like what one guy can achieve.
  12. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Pig butt is sweet?
    Just ate some bacon. Darn was it tasty. I just can't get enough of that pork. Love it.

EDIT: oh right, I should probably say something constructive.

When you complain about game speed do you mean speed of economic and tech development or unit speeds? Because remember there'll be many more ways to transport units across planets come release.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Complaints about base defence seem pretty premature considering one of the big issues is that unit pathfinding is very much a WIP, leading to them getting chewed up far easier than they otherwise should.

I think it's very much a spiritual sequel. I'm surprised someone (not you) would complain it doesn't meet this objective since the game visuals and basic gameplay are very much TA, just with spherical maps and multi-planetary warfare. It's TA dialled up to 11.

I see far more TA in this game than SUPCOM.