PA.exe has stopped working/Directx 12/Windows 10

Discussion in 'Support!' started by odell48, February 14, 2016.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Well, it's missing shaders now, so PA may still crash when it tries to access the shaders I disabled. Or maybe you'll just get artifacts during game play. But, yeah, progress! :)

Ideally, I would like to find the specific shader that is causing you trouble. So, if you are up for it, could you try each of the attached post.json files and see which one crash and which ones don't?

Attached Files:

2. ghostfox13

ghostfox13 New Member

Definitely. All of them crashed. :/ Works just fine without them though. At least, I think it's working fine. But it could very well be missing something and I wouldn't know it (being that I'm new to the PA experience). lol
  3. DeathByDenim

Well, almost there. The next set will pinpoint exactly which shader it is. Can you try all of these too? After that, I should be able to make one that has only one specific shader disabled with all of the rest working properly.

Attached Files:

4. jbbt87

jbbt87 New Member

Just to get involved.. I have a brand new asus zenbook. Same problem. You're post.json worked for me (w/o shaders).

Ill try and help tomorrow, with the narrowing post files.

thanks.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  5. ghostfox13

ghostfox13 New Member

Post4 seems to be working fine (of course it's always the last one :p). What are these files that you are editing? Are they a part of the skins or graphics of the game or are they actions/procedures? Just curious.
  6. DeathByDenim

Ah ok, so it seems to be the HdrCompose effect that's causing the crashing. I've attached a post.json with only that effect disabled, but all of the other enabled. So let me know if that works for you as that would confirm the cause of the crashing.

And the files I am editing are the graphical effects. The post.json is a list of all the postprocessing shaders and are responsible for the overall visual style. That is, effects such as HDR and Ambient Occlusion that you see in the graphics settings in PA.

There are other more specific in-game effects too, such as the landing circle and such. See the heavy shader debugging going on here to get an idea as to what these shaders do.

Attached Files:

7. ghostfox13

ghostfox13 New Member

It works! Thanks again! Now, would you know why it would be likely to crash? Maybe an update is needed on Windows 10 or a dedicated graphics card to be installed?
  8. DeathByDenim

You mean why it crashes when that shader is enabled? It seems likely that it's because of a driver bug in the Intel drivers for the 520/530 because this crash happens only on those GPUs. All other Intel Graphics seem to be ok. But who knows. :)

@jbbt87, @odell48, and @viper3905gt, can you try the latest post.json as well and see if it fixes it for you too?[/USER]
  9. jbbt87

jbbt87 New Member

Look normal? ddicffhf.png
  10. ghostfox13

ghostfox13 New Member

Thanks for the feedback! I will report back for the onlookers if a graphics card upgrade resolves the issue in the future.
  11. DeathByDenim

Sorry for the late reply. Can you turn off HDR in the graphics settings if you haven't already? The shader that I removed is related to that.
  12. closch

closch New Member

Just to confirm that the last posted post.json fix also corrects the crash issue for me (to the point the planets and sun spawn - not tested beyond yet)

Running Intel HD Graphics 530 (driver version 20.19.15.4380), Windows 10.
    HDR set to Off

Thanks !
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  13. destroythewall

destroythewall New Member

I used the fix (replaced the .json file provided in post #26) and it worked! Anyone else having this issue, just remember to turn HDR off after copying the .json to your game shader folder.

Thank you DeathByDenim!