PA.exe has stopped working (build 49122)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by genouious, June 7, 2013.

1. 3dmo

3dmo New Member

I tried reinstalling in C:/ but still having the same issue.

Will wait for update next week.
  2. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

First time actually getting in the game today. I had the PA.Exe not working issue. I think there are more causes to this than simply one. These include:-

DirectX not up to date

Graphics drivers not up to date (Possibly need newer versions than Windows Update recognises)

Graphics card not up to a high-enough OpenGL standard (Maybe Uber can confirm this).
    Link for nVidia card info regarding OpenGL :-
    https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver
    (Possibly cards not listed won't work for nVidia?)

Sound card drivers not up to date (This was my problem!!!!!!!)
  3. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Also, whilst this may not be Uber's problem to fix, the vast majority of players who experience this/these issue(s) will still blame the game. Therefore, I think a "master list" of potential fixes and/or links to appropriate pages (ie DirectX files) could be maintained, to make it a "one stop shop", and reduce forum clutter (No, I'm not volunteering...).
  4. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

Oh, and quick point about the DX installation link that I listed, the exe you get from the link is not the installer itself. Running that alone will just extract the files. You'll still need to find the DXSETUP.EXE and run that to perform the actual install since unlike a lot of other installers like this it doesn't autorun the actual installer.

I missed that step myself the first time, and ended up trying to install the missing _43 files manually. I'm not trying to suggest anyone else has forgotten this, so if you already ran the proper installer there's no need to confirm it. I just want to make sure nobody made the same mistake I did.

I still don't get the point of the regular DX installer/updater if it's not going to actually fully install/update DX. Also unfortunately because all the DX files have their original build dates, and not the installation dates I can't tell you which files were missing. I was watching the System32 folder during install though and did see the file list move, so I know something was added.
  5. airwave539

airwave539 New Member

Build 49186

This issue has persisted for me across all builds. I have tried all fixes and removing misc. hardware ect. I have also tried this on all my computers with no avail. pa.exe crashes when play is pressed off the launcher. one thing of note at least for me is that all my computers use ATI video cards. on one machine I swapped the card out with a very old NVidia card and it works fine on it if I put the ati back same problem. here is the dxdiag file from my machine with radeon hd6850. in the even log I get two separate faults random as to which one I will get those are also attached. I have a bug open in the bug tracker I belive it is bug 187 however can't verifiy as bug tracker is offline at this time it is the only bug I have filed so Is listed under username airwave539

i7 cpu
    8gig ram
    ati HD6850
    Windows 8 pro x64

Attached Files:

6. kingmako30

kingmako30 New Member

Bought the alpha via Kickstarter, haven't played yet at all :(
    Upon clicking "Play" button (located next to "Verify files") The game window "Planetary Annihilation" opens, however immediately stops responding. Another window "Pa.exe has stopped working" shows up, and no matter what anything is done both windows will close.

I'm quite terrible with computers and don't exactly know what my computer has, but I know my computer has Windows vista 7 and a 64 bit operating system. I honestly don't know much else...
  7. robotskull

robotskull New Member

The game seems not to be working with ATI video cards, at the moment.
  8. roadrunnner

roadrunnner New Member

This is not only an ATI issue. I'm having the problem with a nVidia card
  9. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

I had the same problem. But for me personally it wasn't a problem with any of my hardware. For some reason some of my Windows 7 games won't run. This started a couple of weeks ago for me. After exhausting many options I ran my game in compatibility mode and it worked! And that is what I did with PA, and it worked! So, it is something to try.
  10. robotskull

robotskull New Member

Well, I guess that's good news in a way. I'm sure we will get an answer from the team. To what is causing this.
  11. lima2302pt

lima2302pt New Member

That did the trick for me! Compability mode set to Windows 7. :)

Might as well run as administrator if another issue arises.
  12. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Glad it worked! :D Don't know myself why I have to run Win 7 games in compatibility mode when they have been optimized for Win 7. :?:
  13. ockat

ockat New Member

I just noticed that this exact crash appears to happen if the game is installed in a path with special characters (in this case, "Ä"). I moved it to desktop and now it's launching properly.

Build 49186.
  14. airwave539

airwave539 New Member

Just an update I am now up and running. I moved the install from the program files(x86) to the root of c:\ it now works great with no issues also works fine in the program files directory just not in the x86 one for some reason.
  15. uruku

uruku New Member

Ok I got mine working, when first running the game it asked for a missing DX DLL, i downloaded one off Google somewhere... LOL dont do that! If you did delete the DLLs you downed and reinstall DX through the 2010 redistributable. :) I found this out doing research on Google about the 0xc000007b problem, its always something the end-user did, IE. all of us idiots. Happy Gaming
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

If this is reproducable, please post a bug report in the bug tracker (although make sure you search first in case it's already raised).
  17. 3dmo

3dmo New Member

Build 49303, still same issues. Tried installing on Desktop too, as well as various compatibility modes/run as admin but still experiencing the same problem.
  18. roadrunnner

roadrunnner New Member

YES, finally got it working!
    I did what someone has already suggested. I deleted all possible d3d... files and reinstalled it with the kit.
    Now I got it working :)
  19. robotskull

robotskull New Member

Tried this as well and the game still does not work.
  20. MEBx34

MEBx34 New Member

I am having the same problem both in steam and when I tried using the PA Launcher. I hit play and I get a PA.exe has stopped working. I have an i7 920 processor and a Nvidia GTX 260 gpu. here is my dxdiag

-*Please attach your dx diag, don't copy paste*