PA Beta gentlemens ladder

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cola_colin, June 21, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am not quite sure about that. It's probably near impossible to really always have radar and not abuse it by accident. I lean towards no a move at all because of that.

Any opinions?
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Please no.
    How am I supposed to attack factories if I can't use Attack move?

Edit:Also, everybody might not know what "A move" is.
  3. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I'd rather allow it all the time than ban it all the time. This is like banning the commander from moving all game in case he is getting repaired at some point (back when repair was bugged)... Just agree to try and not do it when you don't have vision imo.
  4. cola_colin

hmm, okay
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah agree with neptunio on that. The agree to try not do it out of line of sight part. This is needed for units forgetting to fire on targets when they are right beside them.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Can we remove this rule? I think that PA is stable enough that there aren't any obvious exploits which we can't put on a list. New obvious exploits should be easy to add to the list.

Alternatively change the rule to a code of conduct "- Try not to abuse other obvious exploits like wall reclaiming, etc. pp.".

That way we can avoid threads like "Should Navy Going Over Land be Considered an Exploit?" which is really only caused by a graphical glitch and not really something that you can abuse.
  7. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

One thing I'd like to ask is if there are plans to reset the ladder for beta? Similar to how Starcraft resets the ladders with each patch, beta will likely change the game significantly to change the relative skill of many players, and it'd be unfair to carry over score when beta players never had the chance to play during the alpha against those players.

I'd be way more happy to play in the ladder if it's reset.
  8. cola_colin

I dont think there is a need for a reset, sure new players will need to play a few games but if they are good and win vs high current players they will rise pretty quickly.
  9. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

What about players who are good in the alpha, but will be worse in beta due to significant playstyle differences required? Beta will likely be a lot more strategic and less macro intensive than Alpha. A lot of people are in favour of a reset. Maybe a poll?
  10. cola_colin

IF this is the case they would practically offer a lot of free points to whoever will be better.
    But I don't think it works like that. "good" players are not good because they just by chance play the correct way. They are good because they can adapt to whatever is the best thing to do in the game. They analyze what happens in the game and how to use whatever game mechanics available to their advantage. So even if you change they game they will adapt. That's why they are good.

So far you're the only person who asked for a reset. At least I have not seen more.
    If lots and lots of people actually want it: Well fine, we can have a reset. I don't really mind, thedbp would have to do it though, as only he has access to the database.
  11. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Not if they don't play and sit comfortably. I also disagree all the top players are like that. I can vouch for many of them, but not all of them.
  12. cola_colin

A removal of players who are inactive for time X might be an alternative.
    But I don't think that all top10 players will just sit around. Some of the most active players are among them and I guess that the start of beta will give them one more reason to be more active again. I certainly hope to play more games in the next days. So if you want points play me ;)
  13. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Sounds good, but make sure it accounts for holidays. Still, would it be fine to poll people's opinion? If you don't want to do that, I can try to gather a survey?
  14. cola_colin

I don't think it would really need another thread. A few more people popping up here asking for a reset would already be enough basically.
  15. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

I was more on the lines of surveying Realm members and the IRC.
  16. cola_colin

well do that and have them post here :)
  17. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Yes please k beta reset of ladder I have read none of this.
  18. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

I have no personal investment in the ladder. But I'm here to support my candidate cybersunder. Go (Realm) Blue States!
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I think a ladder reset for beta would be a good idea. We do, after all, have a king of the Alpha, and a king of the ladder. Perhaps not resetting on day 1 of the beta, but at some point following transition I think balance and gameplay is going to change enough to warrant it.
  20. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I don't agree with Colin