PA Alpha Build: 52973 / 53072

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, September 4, 2013.

1. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Hello everyone :)
    Bought last access to the alpha version.
    I wanted to try out this miracle.

The first 4 times lost for the 5th time to win understanding the logic of the AI.
    Yes, attack aircraft he gets effective, but unfortunately all of his genius is over.

Throughout all the games AI is infinitely sends planes, which in turn bring down the air defense system.

Teach the AI to understand the existence of certain factors such as the presence of the enemy or that type of defense.

For example, the enemy air defenses.
    Do ground troops to destroy the defense enemy. Once destroyed the enemy air defense, to attack aviation or support ground forces.

I'm sorry for bad English.
    I just Russian :)

I hope that you get the general idea, dear developers :)
    Last edited: September 6, 2013
  2. MauserPT7

MauserPT7 New Member

I think I understand what you mean, mate. The developers know the AI needs some work but they have plenty of other things to be working on also. You're right, the AI only uses air units at the moment. But expect to see more advance AI in the future. Welcome to PA :)
  3. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Honestly, in the first game I was expecting that the AI will attack me by ground troops. Built the laser turret, a bit of ground vehicles.
    And to me suddenly arrives a flock of bombers T2 o_O
    I began to bombard the commander and I lost :)

Such a course of "horse" I did not expect :)
    Makings of a good AI ye have and it pleases :)
  4. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Just don't play against the AI. There are plenty of people online to challenge ;-).

---

Issues with the newest version:

All of the issues I will list are already lined out by others, but this is what I see to most:

- Units get stuck on buildings / craters / mountains / rocks and will not move away from there until you give them an order to walk to walk the opposite way and then reassign them to new tasks
    - Commander gets stuck in a reactor (hard to get him back out, but possible with thousands of mouse-clicks)
    - Units fall into craters (normally happens when the factory is built close to a crater - even though there would be two exits for the factory?!)
    - Fabbers start dancing in circles (fun to look at... but slows down expansion)
    - You set up a 2v2v2v2 host game and it's published as a 1v1v1v1 game
    - And of course a slowed down game after 10-15mins playtime

Just to state it again

TheGurken
    Last edited: September 6, 2013
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This is alpha in PA. Almost beta, but not quite.

Right now air is the most effective straight up attack unit in flocks, and the AI can actually build air.

This is literally because the AI isn't designed far enough along yet to be able to actually build correctly, build a variety of units, or intelligibly direct them through rocky terrain to attack players yet. It is much easier as a "placeholder" to have the AI build air and use it, with the wide open skies not having very many pathing complexities. EVEN THEN, on some lava planets the AI gets stuck unable to build or stuck inside a cliff, and then they don't do much of anything.

An earlier placeholder for AI than this, was back when the AI would LITTERALLY spawn at beginning of game, just commander and 3 laser turrets on each side and a swarm of fighters circling overhead, that was all the AI was, spawned at beginning of game in place for AI opponents.

As you can see here, back then, even this guy thought the AI had just rushed air and was freaking out, when really the AI spawns from beginning just sitting there like that as a placeholder.

The AI doing very small building is actually an upgraded placeholder, and small work torwards their final design, of being able to endlessly spread across planets smothering out their enemies and building units to counter enemy units while hoarding and locking down as much metal as possible until the planet is theirs and they spread across all the planets.
  6. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Do you know? Running the first time I caught up with PA nostalgia.
    The first game that pops out of your mind, it's definitely "Total Annihilation" :)

What cost ranged weapon can kill the enemy in all corners of the map :)

The second game of my memories surfaced naturally Supreme Commander. :)

I very much hope that the PA would be a great development of these great games :)
  7. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

I have several questions to knowledgeable people.
    1. Perhaps, if the planets will resize the editor?
    2. As the temperature of the planet affects the gameplay?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Don't get first question.

Temperature probably won't affect gameplay directly, but different biomes have different count of objects and the idea is that trees (for example) should block pathfinding for small units and there should be wildfires, so it's will damage every unit which stay near to fire.
  9. byte01

byte01 Member

Scope: Windows 7, GTX660, fresh install.
    Due to a computer upgrade i had to reinstall everything from scratch. Now when i am in the settings menu all the dropdown lists look like empty (ie. white text on white background) When i open the dropdown list and go over the various entries, the selected entry is shown ok. Any idea how to solve that?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

11. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Now that's interesting.
    Pretty good idea teperatury influence on the environment :)
  12. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Decided to check the PA in Linux.
    Installed Linux Mint 15.
    Launched steam, downloaded the PA and when you click on the Play button, nothing happens. (

What am I doing wrong?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Open this directory:
    ~/.local/Uber\ Entertainment/Planetary\ Annihilation/log/
    Then check logs or upload them here.

Also try to run "PA" executable though console.

PS: You installed 64-bit Mint, right? What's your hardware?
  14. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Any path you specify only a folder "share" and nothing more.
    As I understand it, for some reason Steam download Windows version.

I use a 32-bit Linux Mint

My Hardware:

CPU: AMD Athlon 7450 - 2.4Ghz
    Ram: 4Gb
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 6570 1Gb ram
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is why game don't start, PA don't have and won't have 32-bit version for Linux.
    There is completely no reason to use 32-bit OS in 2013.
    Last edited: September 9, 2013
  16. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Thank you, i now try install 64-bit version. :)
  17. stigmatium

stigmatium New Member

Well, the same .. I put the 64-bit version of Linux Mint.
    Installed steam, set the PA.
    I try to run the PA for a few seconds, a window appears and disappears.

Here is the log
    Um .. I can not attach, for some reason writes an error.
    Okay, throw down the text

[19:06:19.918] INFO Log file /home/stigmatium/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log/PA-19-06-19.918.txt opened
    [19:06:19.918] INFO FILE
    [19:06:19.918] INFO S: /home/stigmatium/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log/PA-19-06-19.918.txt
    [19:06:19.918] INFO L: /user/log/PA-19-06-19.918.txt
    [19:06:20.023] INFO GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
    [19:06:20.023] INFO GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon HD 6570
    [19:06:20.024] INFO GL_VERSION: 1.4 (2.1 (4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104))
    [19:06:20.024] INFO GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: [19:06:20.024] INFO Gamma correct pipeline enabled.
    [19:06:20.038] INFO Dump written to /tmp//621cd7a1-0d30-fdff-57cf5ca1-2180da4c.dmp
    [19:06:20.038] INFO Upload command: /home/stigmatium/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planetary\ Annihilation/crashupload -c /tmp/checkpoint.cpk -p Platform=linux -p Program=client -p TitleId=4 http://uberent.com/GameClient/SubmitCrashReportWithDump /tmp//621cd7a1-0d30-fdff-57cf5ca1-2180da4c.dmp
    [19:06:20.044] INFO upload finished with exit code 0

Please help solve the problem.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

That's seems like another Coherent crash.
    You running game from Steam client or from console?
  19. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Absolutely fantastic work Uber,Glad I donated so much towards this game. keep up the good work.
  20. Vernam7

Vernam7 Member

i am kinda worry.......:oops:

we are getting close to "beta" still the builds are very choppy in performance, the animation and the entire game is FAR from smooth (and trust me i am talking with a very high end pc clean of crap)

so not to put any pressure here, but how does it look from your perspective TEAM?
    do you think you are on "schedule"?:confused:
    are we going to see this "big" performance updates soon?

for me if you need few more weeks to make it better no problem. the problem is "do you have enought money to complete everything you promised by the game release?" :rolleyes:

and don't miss understand me, i am asking about money because you definitely have the "time" from us, but time=money in this business! right?
    supremeoverlord and kongkillha like this.