PA Alpha Build: 52973 / 53072

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, September 4, 2013.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

While fixing my slowbars build I found that the id of the value display of the current metal and energy values in the game has changed. Before the patch it was i.e. "current_metal", now it is "Span1". Same for energy.
    I guess that can't really be intended?
    Raevn likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I don't think any of us were in any doubt over that, Nano ;)
    nanolathe likes this.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Honestly I think I should have edited that before someone caught it. It's not that it's wrong... it's just totally redundant.

I'm very vocal about pretty much everything.
  4. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Hm, I got a strange new (well for me at least) bug in this patch. Never encountered it till yesterday.
    When the commander is told to assist at building a structure it sometimes "flickers" between assist and doing nothing.
    Which means that it assists for a tenth of a second, turns away, assists again, turns away,.... Consumption of metal and energy fluctuate accordingly.

I have searched the tracker for that but couldnt find a bug which fits that description. Does anyone else get this glitch? As soon as I find someone who lends his youtube account to me, Ill upload a video about it.

Still got circling rockets though.
  5. tripper

tripper Active Member

Would just like to offer my heartfelt thanks. This game is 'teh awesome' and promises more awesome in short order... Also, I didn't realise we could build AA and air fact's onwaternowomfghavetohaveonemoregamenowwoooohoooo!
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yes Nano, yes you are. :) But you're making an effort to be diplomatic about it, so greatly appreciated.

The terms tech were originally put in just for categorization, but people were reading too much into them semantically, hence the change to basic and advanced. At the end of the day, the argument can be made that tech or basic/advanced is purely a semantic discussion, and it mostly is. But the goal long term is to reduce as much redundancy from units as possible and make sure everything has a purpose. That doesn't mean it's the best tactical decision. Its your job as a player to know when to use what.

Economic structures are the slight exception to this, but we still have a lot of ideas to make sure there is a decision making process here. Building on a gas giant, for instance, will be a significant commitment of resources just to get a solid foothold, whereas some solar collectors in orbit may take less up front resources, but requires more of them, much like standard terrestrial energy plants, to maintain a large solar system wide economy. And that's just by the numbers. There are still other levers we'll be able to play with in the future to make structure choice something you actually need to think about, not simply advanced > basic.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Just as a question Garat; you've removed Metal Makers (thank you!) so you've effectively removed the one glaring problem with TA and SupCom that was the almost infinite scalability of resource gathering... so what's stopping you guys from totally doing away with the upgrade system for Metal Extractors altogether?

Now that Metal is significantly differentiated from energy (the former being the resource and the later being a measurement of efficiency) can it not be treated differently?
  8. garat

Not really, Nano. At the end of the day, there is only one resource that matters in a strategy game: Time. Metal is our primary lever to control that, so providing alternate or larger pools of metal is critical to make more expensive units that can still be built in a reasonable amount of time, if you wish to allocate resources to it.

Does that mean it has to take the form of an advanced metal extractor in the long run? Not necessarily, but until we are further along, with all systems in place, and with 98% of our units made, it's very premature to try and second guess a setup we know works.

Even as an advanced extractor, you have to make a decision - to seek lots of new territory, to take the time to rebuild over old extractors, or a mix of both?

I'd ask you to hold off on speculation on that specific detail until we're in beta. It's simply too early to make assumptions about what is and isn't working on that front, especially on something that is purely one person's philosophical view. :) I don't mean that as a pejorative, simply a descriptor. I know this issue is very important to you.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  9. superouman

superouman Post Master General

It would be great if self-destructed metal extractor didn't leave a wreackage so you waste less time on waiting for the wreackage to appear and reclaim it. An other option would be to automatize wreckage reclaim when you place a building on top of a wreckage. I don't remember if you guys plan to do it.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I am pretty sure this is planned, isn't it?
  11. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Garat, is it expected for the commander to build 2 types of power gen ? :p looks like very first model of T1 pgen.

by the way i should shut the **** up, because actually performance is really improved (FPS) ;).

Attached Files:

12. garat

Yes, because they're the same unit - one is being built on land, and if you'll notice the water on the beach there, the others are technically water models. :)
  13. doud

doud Well-Known Member

because i'm color blind i did not notice the water :p
  14. Daddie

Daddie Member

Great release.. I really had fun battling the AI. When I finished my nuke laucher and ordered to attack the game went on but I wasnt able to do anything (select stuff). I did win as my heavy tanks were able to find the commander and kill them (strange enough was my heavy tanks able to shoot planes?)
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

To follow on from this, the HTML could use a lot more unique IDs in divs, without them it becomes hard to alter the parts you want. I had to do this in one mod:
    $('#Button5').parent().parent().parent().before() ... :p

Also, a change to the settings.css makes drop-down lists have white text unless you hover over the values. Since the background is also white, this is problematic ;)

http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2041

.div_settings_control_select
    {
    width:100px;
    margin:1px 0 20px;
    color:#fff;
    text-transform:capitalize;
    }

Edit: Bugfix mod available - https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-bugfix-settings-list-style-fs-2041-52973.51179/
    Last edited: September 5, 2013
  16. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

There's just one thing I have to say about this patch, LANDBOATS! ;)
  17. supremeoverlord

supremeoverlord Member

Thank you for the reply. I do hope it's an easy bug fix. :D
  18. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

onaboat.png
    I'm on a boat!
    And i can say that having AntiAir Turrets build able in the sea is a very welcome addition!
    supremeoverlord likes this.
  19. garat

It looks like we may have a fix for this. There's a bug in the Intel driver. Thankfully, it may be one we can work around.

If this gets confirmed fixed internally, we'll be pushing out a hotfix for just this one change.
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Okay, so maybe it's a fifteen-in-a-million-billion-billion chance.

I wonder how many games would I need to play to expect a 50/50 chance of seeing that happen at least once per year.

Interesting aside note: if you dig through some of SupCom's internals, you'll see that the tech levels were named; basic, advanced, secret, and experimental.