PA Alpha Build: 52512

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 24, 2013.

1. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Would you mind stopping to insult people?
  2. moldez

moldez Active Member

Hey there thanks 4 the update,

- big performance boost for me
    - building snapping finaly works for me (dont have 2 worry anymore that only half of my buildings are build ;-) )
    - nice to see my tanks rollin over metalplanets and lava !
    - orbital is alpha ... and very obvious not finished yet so I do not understand the panic

keep it up UBER
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I notice you didn't answer the question;

Are Uber are to tread on eggshells because of some unofficial, zero-stakes tournaments?
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I wouldnt call it insulting but he is for sure the most negative commenter on the whole forums.
    guyverdan and zaphodx like this.
  5. nanolathe

Always was ;)
    Full time snark-machine baby!
    Last edited: August 24, 2013
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I've gone from 4-25 fps up to 15-70 fps. It is truly glorious.
    z4c likes this.
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Neither did you.
    Its not really just about tournaments or so.
    However, people are now used to having a certain playability of this game. Every step back will invoke negative feedback and publicity. I just suggest that stuff which does not work at all doesn't really need to be quickly accessible. Uber said themselves orbital units use existing systems right now until the real systems are in place. They are not even meant to be used in Human vs Human games right now.
    It took me not even 10 minutes to start an AI game and build my first Orbital units. How does that prevent me from testing?
    I am pretty sure the price of orbital units will come down eventually.
  8. nanolathe

If you payed attention to the latest livestream and subsequent thread, you'd realise that isn't necessarily the case.
    I see. Human vs Human games are obviously the wrong place to test an RTSs mechanics, right?

As to your question before, I wasn't intentionally trying to be insulting. I was however, dismissive. I'm pretty sure you're not insane, but you may not have thought through your argument very well.

Uber should not give a damn about "upsetting the pro scene" right now. These early tournaments mean nothing and are just a way to pass the time.
    Last edited: August 24, 2013
  9. sechastain

sechastain Member

Latest release seems to have resurrected cursor issues for me.

Ubuntu 12.10,

Graphics:
    Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 640M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

(With Optimus - so, Im running on the Intel Graphics if I want to see anything)

No idea what's different but the last build worked a lot better re: cursor.

Still would like to see optimus support.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The hover overlay in the left bottom corner looks nice, but is too small imho. At least on my 21" 1080p screen.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  11. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Most of the text is actually too small for me to read (also 21") from a reasonable distance and the font isn't that readable either (especially the economy numbers).

Perhaps a bit too minimalistic, although minimalist ui is nice. ;)

And since we're on UI issues, the markers for metal spots are nice, should be a checkable option in the options menu though (don't want to have to activate it each game) also I'd rather have it show up only when I press shift instead only as a stratetic icon. Well, eventually in beta of course. :p
  12. cain0z

cain0z New Member

Well im not having any luck with this.
    PA.exe keeps on crashing.

I have latest nvidia drivers 236.80 beta, have also tried 236.41.

Both fail with my sli 670gtx.

- Interesting enough. Works with SLI turned off.

-- Double interesting. Turned back on SLI and now it works. Hurrah
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

DAMN STRAIGHT.

The 'pro scene' builds it's self into generally good games, not the other way around.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

On Intel card you able to run game without any cursor issues, just enable both TearFree and SwapbuffersWait in your xorg.conf.

Also I testing game right now on my main system with latest Mesa and R600g... it's just awesome!
    Without SB shader optimization back-end:
    4600units.jpg
    With SB:
    4880units.jpg
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Actually, given the very hacked together nature of the current orbital units, mostly by me, that's exactly correct. These were put in early, even for us, at my discretion, to get some early feedback. The fighter is pretty clearly an idea that, at least as is, may not stick. The costs are set fairly high as not nearly enough time has been spent on these units to really know how they'll impact balance, if at all. Though during a 6 person office game yesterday, one team was able to get orbital up and two radar satellites provided full planetary coverage on the planet in question.

There are simply not enough orbital units in to really get RTS mechanics, but more just to get a sense of where they're currently at. Things like navigation, turn speed, etc are all going to be adjusted quite a bit, just based on the early feedback, which means the next set of units coming on will also already have that feedback integrated.

Do you all feel like the orbital fighter could be of use (stretch your imagination and flesh out the unit roster in orbital to some of the things you already know are coming) and if so, how so?
    cmdandy likes this.
  17. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Rename orbital fighter to "Killsat" if you want people to stop complaining about it.

Orbital units just hovering in place however is 100% what I did NOT pay 70 dollars for. I don't think there is anybody on this form who likes the way it works now.

You already have a mechanism in place for orbital mechanics in the system editor. Why not just put satelites on that layer? Have them orbit around planets, and move them using the velocity vector the same way you would alter a planet's orbit. It's not out of depth considering it's how you would be moving asteroids, which were one of the selling features.

The only problem with this method is that space would be flat and polar orbits would be impossible, but I think it's better than nothing.

I am however fine with space things being expensive. There needs to be more things to waste resources on lategame, esp if you start controlling more than one planet.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like static emplacements or large missile ships should be the players options for anti-satellite weapons.

Rather then a specific orbital defender....That said, equipping them with their own personal defence methods could be the best option for them trying to muscle each other out of the way until a more specific advanced satellite can employ some more advanced weapons to defends a players orbital space.

In my opinion.
    Zenotheory likes this.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

the performance got a lot better. I can do 4k units now and get the same fps I got before with maybe 1k.
  20. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Already done.