PA Alpha Build: 52512

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 24, 2013.

1. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Well, but not only development is an iterative process, communication is also.

You can't just stop communication at one point and then refer to it as "good communication" because you communicated in the past.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Pretty much spot on, to use one of my patently bad analogies;

Mike
  3. KennyBall

KennyBall New Member

After this update i could only play 1 time at my steam account, now i only get "Error Connecting to Ubernet: Invalid Steam ticket"

How do i solve this? Invalid steamticket.png
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The implication here is that orbital units either have a moving orbit or become Air 2.0. This is false.

Other than that, this has already been answered, quite some time ago, by Neutrino in regards to what uber are initially aiming at.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Try to run game directly (not from Steam, but from folder).
    KennyBall likes this.
  6. KennyBall

KennyBall New Member

DonĀ“t know what just happened, but now i can play again :)
  7. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

I'm experiencing a lot of UI crashes again in this build. I had the same problem a couple of builds ago but it seemed it was fixed. Now sins this build the issue has returned. When the UI crashes it's not possible to build or give any orders to units what makes the game unplayable.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please always attach your DxDiag.txt when you report freezes/crashes/etc.

Uber don't get crashreports when only Coherent crashes, so information about your system might be really helpful for them to determine what hardware need extra testing/fixing.
  9. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I wish I could like your post twice.
  10. pats

pats New Member

Sorry if i'm reheating the discussion here, but i think the radar satellite is a wonderful addition. I got a different view on it, maybe it would change some opinions.

We got them here on our planet. Everybody knows that there are spy satellites in space orbiting the earth. Lets says there where only 2 parties on Earth. NATO and USSR. NATO has a satellite spying on the USSR (maybe even two or more) And the other way around. Both parties know that of each other. Problem is, the opposing party does not know where the satellite actually is. The are fairly small in comparison to the space around earth. They move around, you have no plane to go out looking for them. And of you found a satellite how do you know it is a spy satellite and it is from your opponent?

So my suggestion would be: Allow radar/spy satellites in the orbital layer. Remove the fighter that can destroy them. Make the radar invisible (or very tiny) for the opponent. This way there is a satellite system that is representing how we use them. What you can do is: Make them possible for a collision. So if i launch a satellite and there is already one in the air it is possible due to the chosen orbit path. that the collide at some point in time. Let that happen. That way both parties suddenly experience a black-out with knowing: Ow sh*t the other dude had a satellite as well.
  11. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Have a look at the Orbital discussion thread in the "General Discussion Forum". The developers started it and have been explaining what they're currently planning and some of the abilities they're expecting to support.
  12. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

I think I'd rather see orbital fighters be on the normal air layer, and make short strikes straight up before falling back down. This adds some interesting interactions between the air and orbital layers. I don't know, it makes sense to me. The current orbital fighters sort of break the illusion that it's a separate layer, and make it feel like just a second air layer to me.
  13. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

This is far and away the best solution AND critique to the issues I have seen brought up here.

Dealing with orbital mechanics doesn't have any real place in PA, and it makes sense- you give your tank a move order, not plot out its exact path.

At the same time, tanks/other units do move somewhat realistically, and the devs have put an enormous amount of work into pathfinding to keep it that way. It would be a shame for orbital units to break it completely by uh, not orbiting.

So the solution is to make the orbital layer less a unit based direct command layer, but more a 'powers' layer. Now, I know thats like a curse word here, but think about it. I zoom out to the orbital menu, and get a fancy GUI like in the kickstarter vid. I click on one of my sats, and tell it to go scan this location on the planet. Now, every few minutes, I get free intel! Yay!

Apply this same logic to all the other type stuff you would want orbiting, from transports to nukes. It really does make sense, and seems like it would be a lot of fun. Knowing what satellites a player had in orbit would be important, too.
  14. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

To you it makes sense, to me it seems like an huge waste of the orbital layer. I don't want some bland support layer with uncontrollable entities floating around in it. I want units I can control, with which I can bombard my enemies, blast enemy satellites from the sky and defend my planets from invaders.

I am perfectly happy with how orbital is at the moment, and I can't wait for Uber to give us more. As controversial as this may sound, I want a game built by game designers (Uber) not a vocal subset of the community.

At the end of the day though, all these conversations orbital this, orbital that are pointless for now. Neutrino has said quite clearly he intends to press on with his current design for orbital. If it doesn't work, then maybe the conversation will be reopened at some point in the future.

I personally think it will work as well as it can considering the time which can be dedicated to it, with the kind of time scale Uber has.
    tripper and Armstro like this.
  15. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I got the impression from a few of neutrinos posts that he was gonna experiment with some faux type stuff. If not I'm actually kindof interested in what the original orbital design is intended to play like with a fuller complement of units before further mega thread disscussion on the topic :)
  16. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I also got the impression from the last livestream that there were still playing with stuff with the physics of the solar system. The last video definitely show the solar system as a work in progress. In real life most spy satellites and even weather radar satellites are maintained in a geosynchronous orbit. They are only moved when they need to survail a new area but remain in one position for a while until given an order to move. So the game is modeling the realistic behavior of recon satellites for military purposes.