PA Alpha Build 51118

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 24, 2013.

1. rhalx

rhalx New Member

Ok I see, thanks :)
  2. hohopo

hohopo Member

Altho I was able to reconnect to one yesterday, so I think is also takes into account your machine now...
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's sometimes might happen because of lost connection, but usually it's server crash.
  4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

Great Release guys! Now hows about supporting fullscreen resolutions properly?
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Do you really think that #101 question about fullscreen make it's support closer?

If I correct you Linux user, what's problem with playing in forced fullscreen? Metacity, Openbox, Kwin and Compiz support it out of box, I totally sure other windows managers have this function too.

Anyway Uber won't use modal fullscreen for PA, so "properly" just mean borderless window.
  6. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

Hmmmmmmm it's Tuesday again :shock:
  7. piquedram

piquedram New Member

When was that next livestream planned? Haven't seen a forum thread or news...
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Announce was here:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=49877
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It ended around 20 minutes ago. Check the sticky in the general forums.
  10. Loafers

Loafers New Member

I paid for alpha, why can't I see the download links?
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

12. Loafers

Loafers New Member

13. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

On linux, it means several things. One, X-windows and most WM's (Including the one I use, E17) have an API for informing the window manager when programs have "switched modes", which causes the WM to handle them differently. It also means making sure that scaling looks good on many different screen sizes ( I have an 18" 1080p screen, and the UI elements and text are tiny at native resolution. ) I also want to have an option to have PA assume my preferred resolution when it starts up, instead of having to resize it every time I run it.

Also, when I change the resolution size to anything other than the startup resolution of PA, I get degenerating renderer slowdown. Of course, the fps drops right off since the GPU has to render to more pixels, but I'm talking about it getting worse from there. Resizing the window back to its native resolution fixes the issue and restores the game back to its original fps, but switching back to maximized produces the same worsening problem as before, just reset back to its starting point.

There is also the issue of Wayland support, as my money is on this newer software supplanting the 40-year old and aging x-windows platform.

Additionally, ALSA support is not all thats it's cracked up to be, and ALSA is not stable on many laptop sound cards, like my ALC888 HDAudio card. OSSv4 (Which is now open source again) supports it far better, even though the OSS API has suffered politically. It couldn't hurt to support all 4 major linux sound options at this point (ALSA, OSSv4, Pulseaudio, OpenAL/SDL) to make sure no one is left in the cold sound-wise, as sound support on linux still sucks, and things that suck tend to be subject to change.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First I want to say it again: this is alpha, developers work on game, they have more important things than fullscreen modes. And actually on Linux it's fairly easy to adjust resolutions and run game in fullscreen.

Even now you able to run game on it's own xserver with resolution you wish.

Then use DE/WM which allow to do so, easy.

Let's not start some holy war here. Just one simple fact: game developers should display server which supported by proprietary drivers vendor.
    Currently only Xorg supported in proprietary drivers, so there is no reason to spend time on anything else.

PA using FMOD for sound. I have no idea what options it's support on Linux, but it's not what Uber might change because they probably don't have source code license.
  15. Xaseron

Xaseron New Member

I have no problems @ 2560x1440. I think it should be possible to simple change the fontsize of the ui by yourself.

Is there really a lot of support for OSSv4 anywhere?
    And you don't really need Pulseaudio support, ALSA is sufficent for pulse.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

FMOD actually support them all: ALSA, PulseAudio, OSS. :)