PA Alpha Build 51118

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, July 24, 2013.

1. Daddie

Daddie Member

Next patch notes: Time for vacation!! Get some time off.. in the end the game will be better for it :)
  2. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Only played one game vs. the AI for this build, but 1 question:

> does the AI keep building econ/factories after 6 air?

if it does then pathfinding is our friend right now, since on reviewing the game it appears that the commander got stuck on one of the factories. When I artilleried that sumbitch, the commander moved again and started making a powergen. He didn't get far, since he'd moved closer to the artillery tho! o_O

EDIT: also, lots of dead bombers = pathing problems after a while, if you don't reclaim them, which I havn't gotten used to doing yet because they never stayed above ground before. LOL :lol:
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Reclaim or as you're moving units from one point to another, fire on a wreckage at the furthest point from you. Blast a path through them. :)
  4. tidus1492

tidus1492 Member

good patch. I think the biggest issue with actually playing right now is performance, so I hope the optimizations are really significant. Running a 3770k@ 4.6 ghz and gtx 680 feels like commodore 64 in 3v3 on a decent size planet.
  5. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

The truth is that too much optimisation during this 'build stage' isn't often done, there's an old quote that "Premature optimisation is the root of all evil.'

Lots of things have to change around multiplanet mechanics, orbital stuff etc so I'd imagine most of the optimisation will be around the fringes until it all hangs together properly. Unless the architecture is really proving itself as ingenious to the devs, and they know certain things won't need to be rethought extensively.

I'll welcome any performance improvements however :)
  6. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

So, who do I gotta bribe to get weird with the server and my new custom planets? :twisted:

[​IMG]
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Why stop at a planet editor? Someone should make a planet type/biome editor!

Edit: It's now a thing.
  8. sneakyness

sneakyness Member

I wanted to make a random biome/planet type generator/, but I need documentation/the api/give me da source/a job
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Remember people, get air cover if you don't want your commander get sniped. Also don't play on scale 6 planets. ;)

(Nice snipes btw. cmdandy, well done.)

[​IMG]

Also, the massive explosion totally froze my game at this frame, I couldn't continue afterwards. :mrgreen:
  10. kryten42

kryten42 Member

I just had a try with the AI and a longer game. Wreckages became a serious problem there, constantly units got stuck somewhere and my nukes detonated right on start because there were wreckages ontop of the buildings.
    The enemy base was covered in hundreds and hundreds of plane wreckages, which was actually a good defense agains my ground troops.
    I think they should stay as they are though, but please give engineers the power to reclaim automatically when on patrol (and repair^^), and maybe even if they move and get stuck in one. ground troops could attack them automatically too if they are blocking the way.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think it's just don't supported yet. You can't use biome types which not available on server.
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The steam forum doesn't yet have these build notes listed (although I've posted a link to the notes in General Discussion).
  13. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Why thank you sir. I was sure you had it in the bag with that navy ;)
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Ah, clicking the alpha logo actually shows the video again now :)
  15. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Heheh.... I got so used to the alpha logo NOT doing anything it actually made me jump when it did this time...... :shock:
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

this
  17. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

Things get better each day that passes. In a way, I can't wait for December to come. On the other hand, I'm glad i'm along for the ride to see the evolution of the game, and that it will last a few months (at least).
  18. variki

variki New Member

I have noticed that when you have accumulated a significant amount metallic dandelions in your yard, ground units seem to want to hug your base structures rather than drive through the flowers to the desired destination. I have had some frustrating issues were my ground air defense units try to literally drive through my AA guns to get out of my base instead of pathing through the field of bombers. Often to the point of practically climbing on top of each other to touch it like ants on a candy bar. As the flower power grows units seem to move almost magnetically from structure to structure and attempts to have construction units mow the lawn, results in them looking at the debris in question while comfortably huddled under the AA guns. The one benefit I have found with this issue is that when I want to have construction units repair my AA's I need only send units in every direction and I will find them clinging to the AA guns and structures like a child on there first trip to the deep end of the pool with mom or dad.

On a related note. I think it would be a great innovation and fit well within the premise of PA's 'they have been fighting so long no one remembers why they started' if construction units had a Free fire, Hold fire, Don't Fire option for reclaiming similar to what normal units have for shooting. Free Reclaim mode allows the unit to travel say 100yrds from position to reclaim and then return but if a 'corpse' is outside that range it will ignore it. Hold Reclaim...well you get the rest. I just feel that it fits with the natural evolution of the game, you've created weapons to blow up planets but a construction unit just sits there when a piece of garbage lands next to it, at some point someone would have said "hey, lets make it clean that up so we can use it to help build the counter attack." There is the fear that while on free roam my adv. con. bot decides to clean up the body of an enemy in the middle of an attacking force, but this is my fault for not setting it on hold position or thinking it would pull a hobbit and just duck while the enemy force ran right past him. :D

-Variki
  19. rhalx

rhalx New Member

What does "Simulation terminated, returning to main menu" mean? Does it mean the game crashed? What happened?
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's mean server crashed. :)