PA Alpha Build: 49499

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, June 14, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Herp. :p
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Ask and you shall receive.

From the data files:
    • Camera Edge Scroll now defaults to OFF (NO MOUSE LOCK)
    • Texel info changed for several units (slight change to wireframe construction look)
    • Sonar & Adv. Sonar given an idle animation
    • New Build icons (slightly lighter).
    • Changes to the following models: Air Factory, Anti-Nuke, Bot Factory, Nuke Launcher, Sonar, Adv. Sonar.

Any engine improvements will have to be found the hard way :p
  3. godde

godde Well-Known Member

I have to disagree here. UI elements can certainly change gameplay and improve tactical and strategical control.

Just imagine when we get tools like custom formations/line drawing(thread). Those UI tools dramatically change gameplay.
    Just imagine if you had that tool now in PA. You can totally maximize firepower in a whole different way and prevent units from clumping up or going in 1 and 1 against the enemy.

This game variant is from time to time quite popular in the Spring community. Typically you have "Greenfields" and "Speed Metal" type of maps. Greenfields is with a slow exponential economy. You can only expand your income with metal makers(mass fabs equivalent in SupCom).
    On Speed Metal you can make mexes anywhere you want and on "Super Speed Metal" you basically only need 1 metal extractor and 1 powerplant which is likely to cover your needs all of the game. On Super Speed Metal the only limiting factor is how fast you can make more construction units. Some people like progressing through the tech levels to reach more and more powerful stuff. There is even a special TA derived game called Tech Annihilation made just for that type of gameplay.

Yeah, I agree with you. The rampant economy causes a steep learning curve while usually leaving most lower tiers obsolete in favor of game-enders dominating the scene.
  4. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

What I'm hoping for is selectable video modes soon, as the initial window is quite small on the screen, and maximizing it causes lag/hanging.
  5. ivalar

ivalar New Member

Amazing as all the previus updates! Thx so much for the EDGE scroll and Planetary pole lock setting options =)
  6. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

There are still some very annoying bugs, but now it feels right. The TA feelings are coming up. You are on the right track! I am looking forward to the next build!
    This is alpha, but it feels like beta.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

"Feels like beta"? Well, it is playable. But still very easy to break, there are even glitches which can break the server / netcode, noticeable by the fact that the chronocam will crash the client.
  8. rorschachphoenix

Well... of course, but I have played released games with the same issues. :D
  9. geopirate

geopirate New Member

I agree, this feels much more like a beta. At this pace we will be where most games are at release when the actual beta starts....
  10. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Played a little TA before getting my alpha key, and I must agree: it does feel like TA on a sphere!

Plus, better gfx :p
  11. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

Badly need a reduction of mass, and mass point imo. It's like being stuck on core prime with Setons clutch players.

Save me Uber!
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

:D made my day.

It does help me to reminisces about TA, though. Back in those days all I ever did was playing Metal maps. xD
  13. rorschachphoenix

Yeah! That was fun! :mrgreen:
  14. Brokenshakles

The fantastic thing is that we are no longer limited to one "map" when we get multiple planets. It will be interesting to see how different types of planets will interact strategically.
  15. arnick

arnick New Member

While I am entirely drooling all over this game when I play it, I do have one concern. Is anyone else noticing a rather large memory loss to their CPU after a game? While I know mine is slowing down during a game, that could easily be from various reasons. I just notice that whenever I go to another game, it's as if the memory hasn't come back and everything runs slower. Might be my PC? Was just curious if anyone else was finding something similar? Figure if so, if Uber could find out what it was and tackle it early on, it'd save them a lot of grief maybe?
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We've only identified a fairly minor memory leak so far.. 1500 bytes on game end, but it's entirely possible there are still other issues.

I am in the process of prepping a new build that, in addition to some performance improvements, turns off some unneeded debug stuff, and also improves mac client quite a bit. IF it looks good, you may see the build this weekend, otherwise, It'll probably be Monday, but it should help a bit on the overall stability and perf front. Other small changes as well, of course.

Sorry I never got any build notes out for 49525. I'll roll them into the notes for the next build.
  17. arnick

arnick New Member

You guys are busy, no rush! At least, from me anyway. I can't speak for others. :lol:
  18. ferrat70

ferrat70 New Member

Well from me I am more then happy, I think they have done an outstanding job :D
  19. Brokenshakles

Yea, I can't get more than a bad slideshow out of my linux64 client right now even at the very beginning, and my machine is less than 3 years old. I'm hoping more of the processing load will be transferred to the GPU. Please, take the time you need, and I think it is fantastic that you are working on this during the weekend.

Edit: Note on this same comp I can run forged alliance at 50 - 55 fps or so at the beginning on a 64x64 map.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You guys need to stop working on the weekends on some point. You can't do this for the next 6 month straight.