PA 1.0 Release Promo - Call to Arms

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zaphodx, September 5, 2014.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I've got a post in /r/gaming, look for it in new
  2. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

self promotion is a real problem on subreddits related to gaming.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  3. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

OHOHOHOHOH big man.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Didn't you know? I'm one of Karmanaut's alts.

Gave a go at submitting it as a preview, since it's gameplay footage from before release. I'm doubtful for success on that though, we may need to try a different subreddit.

Please don't link to the post from this thread, because Reddit's anti-spam bots will just delete the thing.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Reddit doesn't like vote manipulation. Telling people to go upvote your post is against the rules. They've banned entire websites for vote manipulation and creating alt accounts to downvote competitors and upvote their own.
  6. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Either I've missed some UI changes recently or you're running a load of mods!! Also no 1080p :-(
    Got a few places I'll be sharing that video for you though - hopefully it'll help :)
  7. Jaedrik

Jaedrik Active Member

It seems to me that Reddit is far more oppressive than the vast majority of forums, the difference in their method being formal versus informal.

I really hate that the PlanetSide devs use their Reddit first and foremost, heck, Higby even uses 4chan, not that there's a problem with that, but they ultimately ignore the official forums, Higby in particular said it was because he felt restricted, and that most of what people brought up in the official forum was irrelevant. Many people praise Reddit's upvote/downvote system because it removes patently ridiculous suggestions or posts, but what it does in reality is destroy any semblance of reasonable discussion on issues that people normally do not talk about because they think it's settled.

It's politicking, as you say, friends in high places. What is truly being restricted is dissenting opinion, and whoever has the higher position in the social hierarchy dictates what opinions get validated, and thus praised, while the others get oppressed. It's not that dissent doesn't happen, it's just that radical dissent is absolutely forbidden, and we have a narrow range of allowable opinions. . . kinda like how both Republican and Democratic candidates believe in marginally different forms of Keynesian economics. No, no, citizen, what are you doing, you're not allowed to believe in the Chicago or Austrian school. :mad:
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yep. Anyway let's not derail this thread. Go yonder and preach the good word of PA brothers!
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's an issue with crappy moderators, not reddit.
  10. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Watching it now :) Liked and subscribed.

Looks awesome. I see Team Colours mod, what else is on there?
  11. orangerinapay

orangerinapay Active Member

It's actually an official feature they just added, the mod is no longer required sadly
  12. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

metacritic is going strong with user reviews, including a fair few familiar PA names. No official critic reviews as yet, but that's to be expected.

A fair few of the 10/10s list drawbacks, but still give it top marks, which comes across as 'fanboyism' to me, but that may in part be aimed to counter the few unwarranted (but inevitable) 0/10s
    drz1 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

We were expecting another metacritic wipe, a bunch of people were giving 0/10 and then not even talking about gameplay, but instead about the DRM and in game marketplace. They even listed positive things!
  14. cwarner7264

Metacritic is a really rubbish website. Squishy's usual trope of "It was okay, 11/10 - IGN" is basically par for the course there. If anyone has a negative experience with the game they head straight there and plop a 0 on it. People who like it will leave a high score, often artificially higher to counter the stupid 0s. It's just a tug of war.

If only the actual gaming press was good enough quality not to include metacritic reviews in their own game reviews - gosh that's lazy.
    drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  15. orangerinapay

Can't wait to see TotalBiscuit's WTF on this game :D
  16. cwarner7264

He's already a bit miffed at PA (pls don't necro) hope he can put that behind him.

In other news, that /r/gaming /r/games post is doing well - front page.
    drz1, shootall and optimi like this.
  17. orangerinapay

Link?
  18. Aliessil

Aliessil Active Member

Here's what I saw that I didn't remember being in an official build:

1. TeamLatheColor
    2. TeamBuildColor
    3. Triple-barrel Laser Cannons
    4. Projectile colours (both the projectiles and trails used to be grey - I first saw coloured ones in statera
    Good to see them all officially added :)
  19. cwarner7264

Nope. No vote manipulation or it gets deleted by moderators / bots
    drz1 likes this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Brilliant, what a great site for sharing content.
    cptconundrum, drz1 and eroticburrito like this.