Outsourcing to the community

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by acey195, August 22, 2012.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Whelp that's odd, what if you export as say an .obj?

Mike
  2. acey195

acey195 Member

or fbx preferably I am pretty sure that removes the message
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Makes sense, or you could use one legit version and tons of student versions together and all the produces models would be marked as made by a commercial version.
  4. JWest

JWest Active Member

We're talking about skirting around Maya's EULA here, which isn't very professional. I don't think Uber would want that.

Don't get me wrong, if there's a way I could donate my time I would be happy to, but I don't have the commercial software, unfortunately. As a student I would love to get some professional experience. Internships and the like are fantastic to have in a portfolio, and the practice and experience alone is well worth the effort, but I don't have the software rights at the moment. The commercial version of Maya's just too expensive for me.
  5. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Maybe artists who compete to make units for post-release mods might be eligible to win rights to use a commercial license.. ah whatever... yeah, probably not happening :p

But if they had a site-license.... ah, yeah, again, probably not happening.
  6. JWest

JWest Active Member

I wish I could learn blender for this, but that program is confusing as hell. Although I'm being trained on Maya, so there ya go :p
  7. thygrrr

thygrrr Member

I wouldn't call this odd, I'd call this a pretty sensible behavior in terms of license enforcement.

Otherwise, you'd buy a dozen student licenses and set up one "converter box" too easily.

That said, dear Über, please outsource the funding and the testing to us, but not the actual developmentwork. I trust you guys got the best talent on board already anyway.