order queuing behaviour

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cartoonfoxes, August 19, 2012.

1. cartoonfoxes

cartoonfoxes New Member

Given the scale of this game, I doubt we're going to battles as fast-paced as in SC2. No doubt we're going to have a lot more time between build-up, positioning, and engagement.

I'd love to see the implementation of order queues with user-controlled blocking. I'd love to be able to queue some missile silos to attack a number of targets, but block the queue from executing until I [ hotkey / click a button on the UI, etc. ] Or ready a counter-attack force - units prepositioned, and with queued orders to smash some vital organ when given the go-ahead.

Spring has a decent baseline implementation of this, but isn't terribly flexible. Being able to coordinate between order queues would give the player an amazing amount of control, especially over large-scale actions. Feign here, spam nukes there, attack here, all tied into a big red button holding the whole thing back...
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't remember off hand, it's been awhile since I played SupCom:FA for fun(mostly Mod testing), but I think you could kinda do this by pausing the structures in question before giving the orders. Doesn't work for units and such, but the basic Idea was there, might be neat to see if we can flesh it out more.

Mike
  3. cartoonfoxes

cartoonfoxes New Member

A favorite tactic of mine in [Zero-K? forget which Spring mod] was to prep my artillery to area-attack on some chokepoint. My opponent streams a line of tanks at me and I release the "stop" order, blanketing his entire force with fifteen-million Kelvin deathballs.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah you could do the same in SupCom:FA with Hold Fire, Often used to stagger shots against shields , they they all hit at the same time it might bring the shield down, but without follow up shots it was pointless xD

Mike