"Orbital Fabrication Bot" should only build orbital units.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by easybox, June 16, 2015.

1. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

It's difficult to win with this one, because what's the difference between a unit cannon and teleporter.

I guess currently the unit canon's main purpose is to fire units into outlying areas and kill off mex. You could then build a teleporter and get your large base dwelling army to where it needs to be I guess.

I imagine what they wanted to avoid was someone dropping a single vanguard onto a commander and winning instantly.

Does anyone have a view on how often the unit cannon is used to kill expansions vs how often it is used to commander hunt? I've seen it more used to kill commanders personally.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Quitch is right - it sucked because there isn't a way to build an orbital beachhead within a decent amount of time at this point. Add in some heavy capital ships and an orbital-to-ground bombardment vessel first. Then we can remove the Teleporter from the Fabber, because it would genuinely not be needed anymore.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

FIFY.
    websterx01 likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The Teleporter is what you use first, the Unit Cannon is what you use when the Teleporter can no longer survive. The Teleporter is for invasions, the Unit Cannon is for snipes.
    devoh and nateious like this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Unfortunately.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i do think however that there could be/are ways to let both work together .. that said .. yea lategame is a pain ..
  7. mered4

The unit Cannon is usually used to clear a beachhead and the teleporter is for the rest of the army.
    easybox and MrTBSC like this.
  8. easybox

easybox Member

But "Unit Cannon" is very expensive and i prefer not to build it if there just a moon.

My suggestion: the "Orbital Fabrication Bot" should crash, builds "Teleporter" and creates a Cloaking Field. It would make it more usefull in late game. Or better - "Astraeus" would create a Cloaking Field.
  9. MrTBSC

no cloak
  10. MrTBSC

by that point you might not need any groundunit whatsoever ..
  11. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I think it's fine BUT the orbital fabber should have to drop down like the Astreus when it builds on the ground.
  12. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Orbital warfare does a good job of this (which i'm 90% sure is where @Mered4 is getting his "data" from) and requires you to have both a standing surface army and a small orbital fleet, or at least some orbital anti-surface structures, to be effective.
    Nicb1, mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Only 90? Where else? I mean, the only mod to do something similar is ModX (Which does essentially the exact same thing sans splitting the anchor up) and I'm not aware of any forumers seriously playing that.
  14. mered4

The point is that Orbital is given a tool to spam against ground that can suppress your opponent's mobile armies and engineers. Then you drop an Astraeus or Unit Cannon drop and build a teleporter for the ground army. :D
  15. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

If there would be something to replace that inconsistent function of the OrbFabber, I´d be supporting the case.
    Course there isn´t right now the function has to stay in there till it will be transferred to a more suitable unit!
  16. MrTBSC

orbital fabber gets orbital teleporter, orbital launcher/factory gets (t2 airfactory maybe aswell?) orbital multiunit transports and aircraftcarriers ...
  17. radongog

Still nothing that could build a teleporter without hurting WYSIWYG/ causing a logic break...
  18. MrTBSC

how that? the orbital fabricator would build the orbital teleporter instead of a surface one ...
    orbital beachead to eventual surface beachhead to etc.

you get the point?
  19. radongog

Oh year, that´s a great idea! How do you imagine that beachhead then?
  20. MrTBSC

not too different than a surface beachhead ... send a small fleet plus the fabber build some anchors and the teleporter
    and then send your transporters and either simply attack or expand to surfacebase (or build orbital factories) ... the problem will always be to find a save landing zone ..
    thing is you would have two options either teleport the army directly on the surface as we already do when you got a surfacefabber (bot/vehicle) or get your transports through the orbital one but you would be able to land them anywhere with the transports .. depending on antiorbital defense that might be a better option ...
    radongog likes this.