Orbital bombardments/lasers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by galaxy366, August 24, 2012.

1. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

You know, you could just like... slow down your units when they enter a planet with a thicker atmosphere.... :p
  2. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Artillery cant hit the other side of any planet, it just isn't made to. (maybe just a qwarter).

The only usefull kenetic rounds in space need go in a strait line. In space is no or not enough gravity to curve your artillary shots.
    No bombardment from the moon, because of escape velocity, distance/accuracy and atmosfeer of the planet. Artillery just isnt made to do this.
    Only spaceships can do orbital bombardment (and man cannon sorta), because they are made for it.

On the other hand i think its a quite fun idea :cool:
    And i would love to have me some "moon artillary".

But its kinda... to let you bombers leave the moon to bomb a planet.
    Fun but very unlikely. :p
  3. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

False. There is plenty of gravity. It's impossible to avoid gravity within our solar system, let alone a system in PA. So it's entirely possible for *kinetic* rounds to curve in space to hit a target.

In the Kickstarter trailer the unit cannon on the moon is shooting at the planet. The atmosphere of the planet appeared to be used to slow down the "rounds". I must also add that the United States is building a railgun that plans to be used to fire kinetic warheads outside our atmosphere, and then travel back in. The mere notion of them building it implies that their engineers have faith that it will have plenty of accuracy.

Escape velocity, accuracy, and buring up upon reentry is not an issue.

Bombers have wings that require a medium in order to fly, and cannot reach escape velocity as they are. Artillery rounds can travel through any low density or lack of medium.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

They still have thrust from their engines, it's feasible.

Mike
  5. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Well, of course. For the sake of balance, I don't think that our bombers are going to have interplanetary engines strapped on the back of them. :lol: A sight to see though...
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I think it'd be great to have an aircraft that could reach beyond the atmosphere of the planet. At the very least, it provides a direct connection between various moons and platforms in orbit, if not a direct link between worlds.
  7. nydoc

nydoc New Member

I think it would be really cool if the game included a semi-accurate model of the Roche limit. The Roche limit is the distance within which a celestial body, held together only by its own gravity, will disintegrate due to a second celestial body's tidal forces exceeding the first body's gravitational self-attraction.

[​IMG]
    Orbiting mass together by gravity far from the Roche limit the mass is practically spherical.
    [​IMG]
    Closer to the Roche limit the body is deformed by tidal forces.
    [​IMG]
    Within the Roche limit the mass's own gravity can no longer withstand the tidal forces, and the body disintegrates.
    [​IMG]
    Particles closer to the primary move more quickly than particles farther away, as represented by the red arrows.
    [​IMG]
    The varying orbital speed of the material eventually causes it to form a ring. Large chunks of material descend upon the planet.

This would only occur if the smaller mass was pushed slowly towards the planet as it orbited.
  8. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

This would be an interesting way to prevent asteroid battle-stations from being too close
  9. ineffigy

ineffigy New Member

The Novax was the best anti-nuke you could build. And if someone stopped using their commander, CTRL-King the Novax would kill the commander if the Novax was hovering above.

In terms of the Rail gun being built by the U.S., that idea was scrapped 20 years ago. A projectile going from 0 to 18,000 mph would be flattened by atmospheric resistance and so they are only going to use rail guns as anti-satellite weapons mounted on satellites or space stations.
  10. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

You sir, need to tell the U.S. Navy that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Tests
  11. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

The moon turns around the planet. And planets have day and night because the planets turn them selfs.

Moon artillery would only have constant line off sight if you put it on the north or south pool. Where it always has view of the planet. Also your target on the surface of the planet must be facing the moon.

I think its quite unlikely to that artillery shells curve it around the planet.
    Last edited: March 8, 2013
  12. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Generally, hitting the far side of a planet is actually easier than hitting the close side, due to the fun that is orbital mechanics. The same surface of the moon always faces the earth, which makes life easy in that case, but even if you're in a bad position in a bad rotation, you can still take most shots, just needs a more powerful cannon/missile/whatever
  13. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

Even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTbhSFfuNM :D
  14. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

You sir, have won