orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

No orbital unit should stack, although that's only half the problem.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no, personally I find it even more annoying when opponents win air 2.0 fights thanks to orbital travel.

yup.
  3. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

After some thought, I'm totally convinced that units should not stack upon arrival. Totally unbalanced as you guys have pointed out. However, having a fixed-ish landing spot of any kind is not part of the answer, in my opinion. Now, if you're talkin having orbital units leave and arrive in formation, sign me up.
    corteks and Obscillesk like this.
  4. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

You know, we wouldnt this problem if we all just played on a single moon system...
  5. CrazyVulcan

CrazyVulcan Active Member

Oh look, another "poll" where the author concludes that there is only one obviously correct answer to situation. Naturally sorting out the rift raft who cant see the brilliant solution to the discussion of the thread

But on point. Why would it be that the day night line of the planet be the only place where a unit should arrive? We mear humans can plot trajectory's to within a rather respectable margin of error. With the computer we even can plot out the entire trip and get to other body's in space. Anyone who has played Kerbal Space Program knows what a challenge the is and its solutions. NASA is even about to have a prob meet with a commit and land one it and both the probe and commit are moving many meters/s/s

Surly machines of the distant future can plot a orbit to have a Avenger or SSX arrive where the wish.
    komandorcliff and Obscillesk like this.
  6. tatsujb

it's almost random, not fixed, even if the actual place where they come out relative to a planet's point in it's solar cycle is.
  7. schuesseled192

To be fair I agree with your poll question that orbital units need a new way of arriving, but your poll only gives two options there are at least three others I would include and all of them I would think would be better.

• Add a height element to the orbital layer, shriek, micro management. But it allows a smoother transition and allows for interception.
    • Add a secondary orbital layer, this one purely for arrivals at any point around the planet. Allows for interception and requires no more micro management than regular movement orders.
    • Add a cooldown to SSX, this could be a nifty animation where the ssx slowly drops down facing the wrong way and has to turn round. Silly SSX. Allows for interception and doesn't require a lot of work.
    Last edited: September 23, 2014
  8. tatsujb

dude why don't you try making one see how it is.

Here's how it is, you often post it before you're done because tab key
    and you can't edit afterwards.

OK??
    Last edited: September 23, 2014
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

To be fair, forum polls are just generally a terrible idea, regardless of wording.
    squishypon3, Raevn and Gorbles like this.
  10. schuesseled192

Chill dude, I wasn't criticising. Just pointing out the troll had a point. :)
  11. trialq

trialq Post Master General

The can be made unbiased, but don't show jack unless it's an overwhelming majority; in which case it's obvious and doesn't show anything :S
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. tatsujb

back to the matter at hand guys, we've already done to death how this poll is unsatifactory, please lend me your solutions to the orbital arrival issue.
  13. schuesseled192

Best way: Add another orbital layer for arrivals/departures where stuff can get blown up.

Fastest way: Add a cooldown for SSX arriving on a planet, and fix stacking ffs.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It's not as easy to fix stacking as you make it seam, especially on a space craft/aircraft.

Flowfields would look weird on planes as they shove past each other......in the air/space.
  15. schuesseled192

any weirder than them all occupying the same space?
  16. igncom1

Yeah, actually it might looks janky as hell.

But don't mistake me, I agree that having orbital stuff teleport in a kill instantly is a problem, (Imagine what it would be like with half the orbital stuff suggested.) as well is having bombers clip during a bombing run, but it won't magically disappear just because units can't clip.

People find a way to snipe, it's just kinda their thing.
  17. schuesseled192

It's more about transparency than preventing sniping (the clipping thing). You can't tell numbers, how much danger there is, or respond in a way other than to stack your units up as well.
    igncom1 likes this.
  18. igncom1

Good point.
  19. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

At least for air this will kick up complexity. For now you can use simple pathing on air units. This is using paths that does not consider other air crafts.
    Say, for example, you have 20 Bumblebees and you attack a commander, every Bumblebee can do a simple path from its position to the position of the attacked commander. Since this is a similar task for all Bumblebees you can share pathing information using flowfields or other fancy stuff.

If you don't allow stack than attacking a single point like a commander is getting really complex. Basically you need to plan ahead when each Bumblebee will be over the commander, so that all Bumblebees know when they need to start to queue up properly.
    This is real path planning and isn't trivial, because the plan of each air craft is now dependent on other plans (here the Bumblebees that attack before).

There are some simple solutions, like adding repelling forces to units, where you avoid that units will collapse on a single point. This might help for some problems, but they do not well when you want something like single point attacks.

If someone knows a better solution (or a paper on unit pathing for this kind of problems) I would be very happy to know about it ;)

Cheers,
    criz.
  20. tatsujb

is'nt flowfield supposed to defeat stacking in the first place?