orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

and i dislike this only because there is no way to control a landing and makes poles worthless for orbital defence and equator OP. if the opponent umbrellas anywhere on equator, no way to judge timing for avoiding landing on top

turns into defenders advantage, and everybody would rather it be attacker advantage.

but realistically, play kerbal, you know that is usually where you enter orbit at if you used gravity assist (flying alongside the planet so its gravity applies a force to capture instead of requiring a retrothrust)
  2. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Create seperate orbital layer for ARRIVAL
    MrTBSC likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yupp like orbital is to air with the transition of the austreus ...
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Well done tatsu, this is a glorious troll...or an ineffective way to get your point across.

It's hard to tell, making the troll value all the greater.
    bengeocth and xSkitz like this.
  5. adoghost

adoghost Active Member

Worst idea since the "Natural planet collisions are anti-natural?"thread
    Geers, lafncow and xSkitz like this.
  6. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

I assumed he was referring to that but it seemed too inconsistent with his argument.

Tatsu(from my understanding) wants the orbital entry point to be fixed (or at least be what the Orbital path displays), however making that location be whatever point is opposite of the Sun at the time of arrival is just bizarre and imo, just not practical.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Nope, my "remove nuke effect" thread is still superior.
    Geers and adoghost like this.
  8. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

um

well

the midnight will always be different, but what if the orbital units approach from the other side, and would in real life, land where they want.

Think about it, they can swing around the orbit of the planet whenever and appear wherever, because space has infinite directions.

If a Commander sends his units to a part of the planet, you better bet your *** those satellites would swing their asses around and land where they were damn well ordered to.

So, for the sake of logic, I'm gonna -1 this.

You know

cuz i pwn u asses lel get rekt
  9. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

Sorry but community used science, and it was uber-effective. Get rekt.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Okay maybe I didn't make it clear enough (although I kinda did)

here's the arrival point :
    df.png
    Last edited: September 12, 2014
  11. bengeocth

Yeaaaaah, science high five!
    [​IMG]
  12. bengeocth

this isn't necessary because orbital isn't op- dropping an SSX on top of a com on 3% next to an umbrella would die before it shot. :/
  13. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

The thing is that the sxx can always shoot one shot before it dies, and if you gather 5 sxx, the 5 shots is enough to kill com.
  14. masterevar

masterevar Active Member

If you look closely, the end bit of the travel-path is always kind of far out, enough for your spacecraft to be able to reach orbit from any point of the planet.
  15. bengeocth

If you gather 5 ssxs, that can be another way to win. If the com doesn't have umbrellas near him, that's his fault
  16. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

The problem is that you can have 100 avengers over you, 50 anchors, and be surrounded with as many umbrellas as possible.

Each SSX will get their initial shot off either before, or simultaneously with all other units attempting to shoot it down.

You lose. Commander is dead.

The only 'defense' to this is to have your commander constantly moving and being useless and a burden.

Personally I do feel it is good practice to have your commander on the move to ensure your enemy can't easily locate you, but that shouldn't be because he can instantly die if he is stationary for too long.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

So I'd like to highligh how much of the OP was already contained in your debates and how I predicted in my second reply that the OP's points were going to be run-through again by the arguers.

paroling is ineffective. and the OP is worth a read in detail.
    xSkitz likes this.
  18. bengeocth

with your solution, you can just wait until it is midnight where the com is...
  19. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

How is it not working? If the planets are in orbit of each other than yeah the player sending the sxx can predict where the comm is in the next few minutes. when the SXX need to go around the sun it is allready near impossible to snipe a comm when he is patrolling. Then we also have the pelican patrol than the SXX snipe is near impossible and the attacker needs some incredible luck.

THis is true unles there is some foul magic trick that I do not know of.
  20. xSkitz

xSkitz Member

It would take a silly amount of timing and knowledge of the system to know when it would be midnight *upon arrival*. It also wouldn't be much of an option they were near a pole.
    tatsujb likes this.