ooo! icon!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 7, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

sure.

EDIT : yep pte also has the icon.
    Last edited: November 9, 2014
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I believe this confession bear is fitting in here.

[​IMG]
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. tatsujb

you're on ubuntu? :>
  4. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Ya. :>
    I use it for "work" such as writing stories and stuff, while I use Windows for games. #justdualbootthings

[​IMG]
    cdrkf and tatsujb like this.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I remember duel booting... Now it's just ten times more difficult as I have Zorin installed before windows.. >.<

That means that the boot thing I can't remember the name will be removed, I'll have to usb boot and install it iirc and bleeeeeh... So much work.
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  6. tatsujb

squishypon3 and SolitaryCheese like this.
  7. tatsujb

actually you can fix and mbr or windows bootloader from linux.

but you don't even need to do that. you can simply edit your grub to add your windows as and entry.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It depends on the .desktop file. It probably contains an absolute path to the icon file. If you open it in a text editor, it should say.
    In any case, the icon lives in the media directory of the PA install, so you can always manually set it.

Also, I think the "right" folder is /home/t/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/data/streams/stable if I copy what the Mac UberLauncher is doing anyway. :)
  9. tatsujb

well i can't get the icon back now. :( I sorta regret using your launcher

EDIT: ok I more or less fixed it by deleting all the "PA", "Planetary Annihilation", "_home_t__local_uber_entertainment_planetary_annihilation_stable_pa_--ticket_54301a809b81b1bb-76561198023671480-1-4-8d19ef030d5778d-e5bd7f24741c4211_c88f1d2150b055e1.desktop" and such entries in .local/share/applications and running the terminal launch.

pinning the app removes the icon and forgets PA's path though. any fix?
  10. DeathByDenim

Well, that's why the version number is below 1.0. :)

Anyway, the PA.desktop file probably lives in "~/.local/share/applications/", so open it with a text editor and change (or add if not present) the icon line to
    Code:
    Icon=/home/t/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/stable/media/icon_sdl.png
    Though make sure that file exists of course.

I'm surprised you can't just edit the icon-less entry in your menu and set the icon there actually, but I've never used Unity, so I don't know. (KDE4, yeah! ;))
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

So it's looks like it's not really related to PA's changes? :confused:
  12. tatsujb

Ok here are my final conclusions.

latest patch changed PA so that when you run it with papatcher through terminal it launches with an icon. (A temporary .desktop is made in ./local/share/application).

also

if you launch pa by navigating to /home/t/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/stable (your install directory) and double clicking PA the path to the executable will not be temporary, as such, you will have an icon and you may also pin the app and it will not remember the path but it will keep the icon.

if you then run PA through the patcher it will not be recognised as an identical app and a separate icon will appear in your taskbar.

all in all I cannot get it to work like before.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Will have to test it on Ubuntu later on. I'm still doubt PA itself have anything to do with fact some icon appear for you.
  14. tatsujb

15. DeathByDenim

It's really not that hard. :p
    pa_icon.png

On a more serious not, it seems Unity doesn't have an easy-to-use menu editor as KDE does. I found this though:
    (source)
  16. tatsujb

@DeathByDenim I know I was on there.

alacarte comes with ubuntu. it is a terrible way to do things and leads to problems. I know i've already tried to solve this problem and others with it.
  17. tatsujb

tried alacarte again it failed to produce any results.
  18. tatsujb

@SXX @DeathByDenim

http://askubuntu.com/a/68023/307184

according to any semblance of reason .local/share/applications .desktop entry is THE way to go. the purest the cleanest, the one intended for the system. And I gotta admit, for any other app : it fuddgin' works! you can even click and drag the newly created .desktop entry straight to the launcher and the launcher icons will make way.

but here's the issue :
    upload_2014-11-9_23-33-14.png
    the entry created by papatcher is bugged. it won't work. and it's not the text therein that's the problem:
    upload_2014-11-9_23-35-18.png
    there's no room for what's causing all the trouble in there.
    upload_2014-11-9_23-41-36.png
    d.jpg
    d.jpg

d.jpg

I can't show you this but this one however does not stick
    Last edited: November 10, 2014
  19. DeathByDenim

20. tatsujb

@DeathByDenim dude don't worry. you made me discover your otherwise awesome patcher app. and it's not like I really care for an icon. (I kinda did *sob*) no I didn't! gosh, don't listen to that guy! geez!

anyways I know the reset won't work but I'm going to do a reinstall which has been a long time coming because my packets are broken and i can't update and i'm on ALSA and none of my microphone apps work because of the sound library switch (why is it that everytime something completely unrelated in linux gets broken PULSE is like : "OOO breaking party! time to switch to ALSA! WEEEEEEE!") and also ubuntu 15 is dropping soon.