Ok, this is rediculous

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradkill, March 18, 2016.

1. bradkill

bradkill Member

So, I just built a big map that I think would be extremly fun to play in... So i go to create a battle with it...
    "Too many planets current limit:16'
    That limit is REDICULOUSLY LOW!!! At the VERY LEAST let people have 24 planets!!! How am i suppose to make a decent system IF THE LIMIT FOR PLANETS IS THIS STUPIDLY LOW?!??!?!?!?!?!!!!??!

I understand there has to be a limit somewhere to prevent people from making a system that crashes the game as soon as a game starts, But 16 is just REALLY low. TBH i think the game could handle 32 - And thats DOUBLE the current limit.

Also, Notice that i specifically chose 24? Yeah, Well thats because in coding odd numbers, prime numbers, and numbers that are not a multiple of 8 have a little trouble - 24 is 8*3 (and happens to be the exact number of celestial bodies (other than the sun) in my system.)
    Last edited: March 18, 2016
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

As just a "gravity well" sort of war, I can honestly see orbital warfare on 24 gravity wells as long as the surface area was minuscule.

Also, the limit of bodies on a map, has got to be "brute forceable", not done in the editor but in the whatever files that the game reads to reliably generate systems, probably a bit of copy and paste between two saved systems so the data is read as all one system when generating.

Basically, it's not likely a hard coded limit, it's likely an "editor to prevent you from easily doing generally undesireable gameplay sort of stuff" limit, and probably semi-easily bypassed. Might have to do a mild bit of research into how planetary-system save files work.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

do you have any idea how computers work?
    ArchieBuld and stuart98 like this.
  4. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

24 planets is an insane amount of planets. Just curious, why do you think 16 can't be fun to play with?

I remember that 16 was the limit because more would create texture issues aka planets wouldn't get textured or it would crash.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. bradkill

bradkill Member

Oh, They could simply fix the texture thing, and it shouldnt be too hard to bump it up to 32 after that.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

"let's double the speed limit because people should be able to drive faster"

No.
  7. bradkill

bradkill Member

Guys, With this limit, How am i suppose to make a system with multiple larger gas giant systems in it? Or just more major points of orbit?

Like, How am I suppose to have a brown dwarf, A purple gas giant, and a massive rocky planet exist eachw ith there own fully fleshed out mini-systems with this stupid limit?
    Also, I didnt say they HAVE to set it to 32 - 24 good enough, Really, I just want to be able to have, like i said, 3 mini-systems in the main system
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

This is ridiculous?

Yes, it is ridiculous indeed.

There's something stupid here, but it's not the planet limit.

16 planets is HORRIBLE. It downright SUCKS.

Try to play on it.

It's torture.

Multi hour games.

That kill your computer.

Based upon the most bland layer in the game.

Just no.

5 planets is too many. 16? 24? 32? ARE YOU INSANE?

You think it's going to be epic.

IT SUCKS.

Man, just play on larger planets. Host a game on a size 1300 planet and tell me that it's too small.

As far as texture limitations:
    Once you've built a graphics engine for a multimillion dollar 3d planet based RTS and have doubled a hardcoded texture limit that exists for a very good reason, then you can tell Uber that they can "Simply fix the texture thing".

Because in programming, never is something "simple".
    Last edited: March 18, 2016
    ace63 likes this.
  9. bradkill

bradkill Member

Dude, you dont have to complain THAT REDICULOUSLY!!!!!!!
    Seriusly, When I said simply, I mean that would be a solution to the problem.
  10. stuart98

It's spelled "Ridiculous". Say it with me: "r-I-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s"

What on earth is a solution to a problem?

What is the problem?

You can't play on torturous systems that make computers commit sudoku and cause cancer?

How sad.
  11. graushwein

graushwein Member

Pot - kettle. I think you're familiar with each other.
    dom314 likes this.
  12. bradkill

bradkill Member

Dude, WHY DO YOU STUPID SPELLOING AND GRAMMER NAZIS EXIST?!?!??!?!?!?! THEY DO NOTHING OF VALUE
  13. stuart98

Dude, what are you, 12? Why talk in all caps and put a gazillion exclamation points and question marks in your post?
  14. graushwein

graushwein Member

Are you trying to use PA to make a replica of the solar system for a class assignment? What happened to styrofoam balls on sticks?
  15. bradkill

bradkill Member

Im trying to use it in order to make a large system - purplex a gas giant, Goliox a gas giant sized rocky planet, Brown dwarf a max size/mass lava planet, each with there own complete and fleshed out systems.
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Last we heard 16 is a very hard coded limit - something about stealing four spare bits to encode the relation between the planet and texture map.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. bradkill

bradkill Member

And the all caps thing was in order to say that im kind of angry. Same with the exclamation+quesitonmark spam.
  18. elodea

elodea Post Master General

really guys? Stop trolling and help the poor guy instead. No wonder no-one plays PA anymore.

@bradkill
    I was able to get 69 planets loaded in a system just fine. Did you try update your drivers? A friend of mine had this same problem, but then he updated his drivers and it worked fine.
  19. bradkill

bradkill Member

I thought I had updated drivers...
    Anyways how do I update the drivers, and will it really let me put 16+ planets?
  20. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Yep. Here i loaded a system with 69 planets
    [​IMG]

After you update your drivers, also make sure you are running the latest version of adobe acrobat reader. The UI needs that to render properly otherwise it will crash.