Offline Play?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by slamoid, August 29, 2014.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

1. Console hacks count, do they now? I'm glad I'm the one modifying and framing arguments :)

Offline play is not officially-supported, or even easily-accessible, by either of those games. I play them both, and have extensive history with one of them.

However, if that's all that satisfies you, I guess Uber just need to add in a command-line hack that starts a local game while offline (nomatter how well that works or doesn't work)!

2. MOBA is a term that came into existence after DotA (the original mapmod for WC3) came into existence. MOBA is a term that came into existence after HoN was developed and released. Heck, League of Legends wasn't even a MOBA at first - that's where the term was first coined when that game found explosive international growth.

But please, keep arguing against me on the subject. I'm intrigued to know your expertise and history with the games.

LAN and offline play have been long-requested by the communities of those games. It never happened. It never stopped the games being popular.

3. Because it hasn't happened yet. I can't prove a negative (and that's a literary device you just used to try and get me to do so). I can't ask you to prove why we haven't got a handle on nuclear fusion yet, can I?

Why is Diablo harder to crack than Steam? Both rely on authenticated backend servers. If you could explain what the difference is, I would genuinely appreciate it.

4. You can balance a game adequately to the point that it's not unbalanced. I said this already! This applies to Single Player games.

Stop modifying the argument and shifting the goalposts, like you are accusing me of doing. Balance is an important part of a competitive multiplayer game - especially if that game has eSports aspirations (note: not goals, not promises, not anything - aspirations. Google the definition if you're struggling).

Also, I never said you said balance was about cheese. I said "if". It was advice.

5. I did ask for the tangible benefits of delaying the game. You listed nothing that Uber still can't implement.

I'm not shifting any goalposts - out of any of the things you listed, the only thing that is affected by Uber releasing the game is review scores. Everything else can still be implemented, in the same timeframe.

If Uber delayed the game for the next six months, instead of releasing it . . . and in both instances (six months post-release, or at the new pushed-back release date) we got offline play at exactly the same time . . . what is the difference?

6. I said that you were making legal threats, yes. I never said you were directly interested in a case. A threat is quite an ambiguous term, and can cover a lot of different things. Stop modifying the argument :)

My words. Which you quoted.

I already admitted, therefore, that it might have been me that originally brought up the phrase of Early Access? Why are you so incapable of reading simple English that you missed this yet again, instead choosing to berate me over shifting my goalposts in this argument?

Which I didn't do, because I admitted I may have brought it up. Honestly.
  2. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

So now using console commands is hacking now? I must have been hacking PA on Linux for over a year now. Its pretty standard use in games and is useful in debugging problems like crashing/errors in CoherentUI.

But typing words in the console is so hard, only level 37 hackers can use it apparently.

Actually the first MOBA was Aeon of Strife in Starcraft I.

I don't know where you are getting your info, but Riot began referring to these games as MOBAs back in 2009, a full year before HON was released. And where did you get your information that LoL wasn't originally supposed to be a MOBA? Because they employed the some of the original designers of the DOTA map for WC3 and wanted to make a standalone game based off of that.

Well considering you seem to be missing some key details, it won't be hard.

Already answered. You can use the console commands to work online. More than PA can do currently.

Because Diablo 3 is more than authentication DRM. It requires constant connection to a server by your client game, which has the assets. The servers host the scripts and the actual structures that allow the game to function. All you have on your harddrive is the models and sounds, but you need the server to make it work.

Which is why you have to emulate the server because you can't hack it. It is not simple.

Well since your big on "implying" and "vagaries" I assumed that you obviously meant it here as well. Its the act you have been taking thus far. Since you implied that I may think that game balance is about cheese.

Why didn't they release back in December then? Why didn't they call the early access release/finish since the game has been perfectly functional since December. The only different would be reviews. The game could still have all the content added since December. What is the difference?

Which nobody was attempting. It was your attempt to shut down debate because your answer could always be: GO SUE THEM THEN!

That was one example. You have been dodging and shifting arguments for the last few posts now.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If I may suggest @Gorbles and @nlaush, this would be an excellent time to take your conversation to PM. Once things get this far down the road of "quote, response, quote, response" it's rare that you'll have other people interject in (or indeed read) the conversation.

No more please.
    FSN1977, Maldor96 and websterx01 like this.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I swear, when I see the PTE or build thread have the words "offline mode" or "mid game saves", I will finally be able to stop gulping Gaviscon down like it's lemonade. Steam = people spouting nonsense as fact since 200x
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I'm alright @cwarner7264, this has long since gone the way of personal attacks and I'm tired of being misinterpreted. Sorry for dragging this on for so long, and any unintended offense I've caused others.

(also holy moly tagging now grants notifications!)
    cwarner7264 and drz1 like this.
  6. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Sounds good. We were going in circles anyway.
    cwarner7264 likes this.