Offline Play?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by slamoid, August 29, 2014.

1. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

If a person is putting statements in writing to potential customers that the product will have said "features" at launch and at launch do not have said "features," how is that not a potential bait and switch case?
  2. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

You sound like you are trying to put together a lawsuit. And people wonder why Uber consistently decreases their transparency...

I know you are just being rhetorical, since the answer has been given again, and again, and again but- Uber is a small dev. They clearly intended to release with offline, but plans changed for several reasons not all of which are yet known. As stated by Meta, releasing offline complicates several aspects of development. Uber made the decision to focus on core functionality in an environment that allows maximal control and rapid iteration over offline play. We don't live in a world with unlimited resources so compromises had to be made - a good game without offline, or a poorly made game with it. Offline is coming, and I simply cannot empathise with the kinds of angry hand wringing going on here. It is not warranted unless Uber comes out and says "you know what, forget it, the game is never going offline". Uber isn't going to give us a timeline for offline because that would be a perfect recipe for yet another drama bomb. Until then if you don't have a good internet connection you should probably register your complaint in a sober manner and wait until the feature is released. Going on political campaigns across the entire forums doesn't help anything and isn't going to get offline released faster.
    drz1 and squishypon3 like this.
  3. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

We all know that they are a smaller developer. However, it does not excuse their non-response to concerns their customers raise nor their actions that they have taken. Do you think that just because they are not a large developer like Ubisoft or EA, they are not responsible to their customers who are angry about not having the product they were advertised?

Things that they stated would be there at launch are not present, they have not said why, they have given no timeline (even a loose one) as to when such features would be present, and they have edited their storefronts to remove statements for features after selling the game with them listed for months. They also did nothing to dispel the rumors repeated over and over again over last year that offline would be present when 1.0 hit. Why? Kingston and PNY were in "hot water" recently when they shipped SSDs to customers who thought they were getting one device and found that they were actually getting one with inferior hardware.

The drama bombs that you speak of are self inflicted. They are creating situations where someone can come in and claim bait and switch. And would it not be warranted for people who were sold one thing and received another?
  4. mac59

mac59 New Member

I Agree, Uber is making things more difficult for itself. A simple honest statement on the steam/PA front page:

"Thanks for supporting our project. We intend to bring offline play (non DRM install) and in battle save games as soon as possible. (insert a tentative time period 1 month 2, 3, whatever)"

This would cure 99% of current bad publicity/drama on the net. One paragraph.
    drz1, nlaush, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  5. kreidos

kreidos New Member

I'm sure that's all anyone wants. Their complete silence on the issue is what's fueling the vitriol right now.
  6. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

They have not been silent at all. In multiple streams and threads the Devs have stated that offline is coming and is a top priority. Uber doesn't give specific dates for features because it causes a lot of disappointment. They literally already fulfilled the conditions you claim to require to stop your vendetta. These posts are really getting ridiculous, its like an organized effort to exact punishment from Uber. Don't try and pretend like this isn't a personal vendetta!
    corteks and squishypon3 like this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

corteks, squishypon3 and philoscience like this.
  8. mac59

mac59 New Member

Streams and vague threads from days past don't count as communication on "Official Launch" day. Uber is handling this badly and it's shooting itself in the foot. Nothing ridiculous about asking for a statement.

Developers have done a great job so far on the game. But they could use some advice on how to communicate effectively. Treat customers/backers like people, not annoying noise.
  9. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's not bait and switch that's false advertising.

Bait and switch would be "Come to our showroom! Aston Martin for $4300!"
    and then when you get there:
    "Oh I'm sorry the Aston Martin's been sold, but we do have this lovely Jaguar for $500,000"

When there was never an Aston Martin to begin with.
    nlaush likes this.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

what the **** ???? again one of this "Offline Play" silly thread :D
    Don't you *** holes realize it's coming and that it's just a matter of time ?
    What do you prefer ? Uber answering all these same stupide threads while anyone knows offline play is about to come ? Shut the **** up and let them finalize the server stuff.
    corteks and saturnerianis like this.
  11. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited: September 9, 2014
  12. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

They also have stated in streams and multiple thread that offline and DRM free will be there at launch. So that is:
    1: A specified time, which they apparently don't do
    2: And stated definitely in a thread, at Kickstarter, on steam storefront, and Uber's website.

Please tell everyone where they said offline/drm free is a top priority? I will shout it from the rooftops if you have proof. Because neutrino/mavor said a little more than a month ago that it was not, but they could always up the priority if demand was there. So if people weren't raising a stink about this, it would not be a priority.

And please stop with the ad hominems. Just because people are not in starry-eyed lockstep behind you on this issue doesn't mean that they are having some crazy personal vendetta convention somewhere with Elvis, Osama Bin Laden, and the Bilderbergs plotting to destroy Uber Entertainment.
  13. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Here's an idea, instead of wasting all that time and energy typing up that diatribe, how about you ignore those threads that offend your delicate sensibilities?
    mac59 likes this.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That means nothing without an actual link.
  15. kreidos

kreidos New Member

Indeed... if what people keep screaming is true, why has not one single developer replied to a single critical thread? If it were so simple, they would just reply with "Yup, it's all true. Offline and saving is coming, just be patient with us."

But they haven't, and the removal of any mere mention of Offline or LAN play from all associated websites and store pages gives people the right to an answer, especially here among those who backed the project.
    mac59 likes this.
  16. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Welllllll, as true as that is, many people who have a problem with this whole offline drama are those that have just recently bought the game on early access, and haven't necessarily been following every livestream or announcement on here. I think it is reasonable to expect an "official" statement, stickied on Steam, or such places, that just informs any potential buyers (in many ways, the most important people to convince) that offline is coming, and that Uber aren't dishonest conmen (as some commenters would have you believe :/ ).

Seriously, Brad could knock up a statement in about 5 minutes that would rectify 90% of the negative reaction to this offline debacle.

And yes, I know Steam forums aren't a barometer for general opinion of every gamer out there, but it surely means SOMETHING.

Disclaimer: I love the game and couldn't give two hoots how long offline takes, or if it even materialises, but I'm just trying to see where people are coming from.
    nlaush likes this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually they have! I'm not sure which though.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Here's at least two.
  19. selfavenger

selfavenger Active Member

All these negative offline arguments really get me down hey....

I mean Uber have been a very passionate and honest company. They might not have been as transparent as some people might like but they have still been super transparent in their process and a lot of their decisions. They care about this game more than any single person on these forums, the steam forums and reddit. We might think we care about it a great deal but compared to them, it's nothing. It's their baby. Why on earth people think Offline isn't coming is beyond me. They said they would deliver it and they will. If you have serious doubts about that then nothing we can say will convince you otherwise.

Whether people like to believe it or not an early access list of planned features is not a legally binding contract. Features have been pushed back or dropped or changed throughout development because that's how development works. When features are thought of in the beginning there can be design challenges that haven't been discovered yet. When they arise hard decisions need to be made and they have been made. This isn't a case of Offline not coming at all. It is. Uber have said that it is so just chill guys.

When did the world become some entitled????

Cheers,

-Todd
    doud likes this.
  20. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

When they backed the project based on developer claims.????
    Look, I flat out love this game, the scope, the visuals the game play. I've bough it as gifts, extolled it to my peers and played it religiously since beta. All I've been saying is if offline play was going to be missing then some management of exceptions should have happened, it should have been clearly communicated with an email to the backers and sticky on the steam forum, not casually mentioned in a live stream or forum post.

Right now I believe that its lack is hurting the games reputation. Does it matter to the average player how awesome the PA engine and game play are, probably not if they have trouble connecting to the server, lose their galactic war progress or have the game they've been playing for 2 hours freeze and be unable to finish. Its thing like that show the game isn't quite ready for release. At least if the offline was working the server issues would be annoying and not game breaking.

I will wait for all the promised cool features and bug fixes to arrive, doesn't matter to me if they take 1 month or 12, I've been enjoying and will continue to enjoy playing, but I think the average steam player will give up waiting pretty quickly and do nothing but bad mouth Uber in the process. Which is disappointing as the team really have done a remarkable job so far.
    lokiCML, zagra, FSN1977 and 1 other person like this.