Offline Play Is Coming October 9

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, October 7, 2014.

1. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Finally!
  2. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Yay! Finally! I can play Skirmish without having an internet connection :)

You guys truely are Uber XD
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

One of the reasons that PA uses the client-server model is a large chunk of computing can be done on the server side, which means playing the game on the server side could actually be more laggy than the client side.

Many things Uber worked for months still lacks polishment, I don't see why the offline mode is necessary different.
    lokiCML likes this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Maybe a can't* will help? I meant you can't play with others without the actual server. :p
  5. squishypon3

Uber also ran servers on computers with an octo core CPU, and 16GB of RAM. With only one core and 4GB per actual server being hosted.

Imagine hosting a server on even a quad core CPU with 8GB of RAM? That's quadruple the computing power and twice as much RAM.
    Last edited: October 7, 2014
  6. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Yeah, but at least on Thursday I can play PA without having my wifi on, lan connected or cable modem plugged in. I think my machine can handle it, but if not, I have another machine that could run the server (if their lan statement is correct) and emulate what I have been doing all along with Uber's servers and my machine.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Yay! I'd like to be able to play this LAN style with the family. Wonder if that's going to be possible.
  8. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

YES! :)
  9. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

I think the game could potentially run much faster than the public servers offline or in LAN play!
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

What I'm saying is you would have a instant of the server running on your computer with the client but you would need UberNet account to play on their servers.
  11. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Woot! Guess I was just wondering if you still have to log in etc etc. Excited to try it out, even more excited to final start whacking away at some big mods!
    nlaush likes this.
  12. squishypon3

But Brad himself said hosting online servers still isn't finished?

Lan and offline being possible, however.
  13. raphamart

raphamart Member

That's very good news! One less to the features list. Now i'll wait for naval revamp. That's for me the 2nd big issue.
    Planktum likes this.
  14. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I shall sacrifice 100 bulls Dox to honor your triumph.
  15. lokiCML

Yes but "the server" is "the game itself" or to be more precise it is where the simulation, history server, etc are. You may not be able to host it on the Internet but you still have a copy of it. From what I understand. It's interesting to see how much it could impact performance.;)
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

TBH, it's likely that the online server browser is the unfinished part - if I can search & connect to a LAN server, I can search & connect to a remote server, just need to know the IP address.
    nlaush likes this.
  17. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Now watch as everyone complaining about no offline switches to complaining about balance, or unit cannon, or some other damn thing because complaining is fun for some people apparently.
    spittoon likes this.
  18. lokiCML

Complaining you are.:p
    elwyn, gatokatcha and nlaush like this.
  19. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Yep :p, complaining about complaining, turtles on turtles, all the way down.
    ooshr32 likes this.
  20. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

The server only run the sim part of the game, which is why running the client still requires a lot of computing power.

Four cores won't make the game runs four times faster, and we don't know how good the multicore optimization is on the server side since it was always one core per game on Uber's server.
    Last edited: October 7, 2014