Official PA Modders Application

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by garat, June 11, 2013.

1. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I would very much like to get into modding for PA. I have an idea of what i would like to do and how it could be reasonably implemented. I also have a small amount of experience with modding in most fields, including modelling, texturing, coding and level design. I have even seen one mod get to the point of a limited release of a test demo. Although not a full size mod, it did represent a reasonably polished experience for the source engine (if very short).

However, i'm not particularly experienced at any individual aspect of modding, and I have no formal training in game design. I appreciate the work that goes into making a mod, and I fully understand that for every mod that gets released, there are a hundred more that die by the wayside, and a million more "cool ideas" for a mod that never go anywhere at all.

I'm currently investigating what would be required in order for me to develop the ideas I'm working on. If I get to the point of having something concrete to show for it, then I will consider applying. As of yet, It wouldn't be worth Uber's time.
  2. HeadClot

HeadClot Member

I would also like to get into modding PA.

Question:

Do I have to own the Alpha of PA in order to mod it?

I know that this is a silly question... But I have "Invested" over 100 dollars into Planetary Annihilation. I did not choose alpha access Instead I chose more keys to give to my friends.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Removed some posts that were getting nasty and off-topic.

If you have an issue that you need an Uber employee to solve, send them a PM.

Let's keep this thread focused on applications.
    archcommander likes this.
  4. stromgol23

stromgol23 New Member

I've just applied to hopefully work on an AI mod. I'd be surprised if I'm picked for this first group effort since AI modding will probably come much later ^^

I'm still very curious to see how they intend to allow us to mod AI.
  5. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Ok, I decided to go ahead and apply. I have a released mod here that seems to be working, and I have some work underway for something much more ambitious, although it would require access to the server-side stuff.

Looking forward to seeing how this scene develops.
  6. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'm not really a modder but I want to make mods a big part of my PA fansite and since I make videos and interact with players and viewers daily, could my input be of any worth? Dunno should I just keep to myself or not :D
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Petard, that would be a really good reason for Uber to make the Mod Vault easily accessible from the web.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

IMO, don't divide up where people can get mods from.

People will want versions put up on their favourite file host, and then modders will be obliged to keep multiple copies up to date.

One centralised place would be nice, thank you.
  9. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I take the mods from here and upload them to my server. We don't know how will the Mod Vault exactly function so I'll wait till then and see what to do next. No reason to not have multiple places with mods as long as its organized and kept up to date.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the official modders, I hope someone will make me a mechanical dragon mod one day.
  10. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Just applied - I was honest and said I've never modded a game before, but I am a programmer and I've already started having a look at the PA live-game JS code, with an eye to making a certain mod that i think would be useful. I get the feeling that Uber want this 'core team' of modders to be experienced modders, which is perfectly understandable.

Thanks for taking the time to a) interact with modders like this and b) make the game easily moddable in the first place :)
  11. Lorbid

Lorbid New Member

For the new beta users coming into PA for the first time.... do they need to fill out the application as well?
  12. sab0t

sab0t Member

i want to ensure i fill out the application as accurately as possible, so i'm wondering what PA's idea of "finished" mods are (i askalso because it's in quotes, leading me to believe there is some flexibility in the term).

i have joined and worked on various aspects of a source engine game (which in itself is a kind of mod), dabbling in what I could. I have also built an extremely simple mod of Minecraft, mostly to see the process through and give myself an environment to better learn Java as well as just tinker. i have various works on the go, but I can't say I have a "finished" work at this point, unless we consider small and fairly random contributions to a community game a "finished" thing.
  13. class101

class101 New Member

One thing I couldn't find on the 3 pages, What is the programming language for mods ?

I hope it is LUA
  14. sab0t

sab0t Member

from what i've been told, Javascript. I haven't been able to confirm that as of yet but will poke through this forum more.

I'm really hoping it is JS...I work with it almost every day at work. Generally for asynchronous functionality and chaining, but often for the flashy fun stuff too :)
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Javascript & HTML is used for all User interface code.
    JSON is used for blueprint files, such as units and terrain features.
    class101 likes this.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For effects as well. Too bad I don't have time to finish reference currently... :(
  17. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Applied, my main modding experience is with using valves "Hammer SDK" to modify and make Portal 1 + 2 BSP's (maps).
    I do use 3Ds Max 9 (its old but i cant afford or really have need to upgrade to newer version) and "Daz Studio's Bryce 5" to animate.
    I use CSG in bryce , i love the fact that its now being used in games!!
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
  18. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I been using the boolean carve/add feature for years.
    Here's a snippet from the manual that comes with Bryce 5.5, im guessing its the same operation that jon's game engine is using?

Attached Files:

19. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Applied, not a modder in any terms, but studying Games development, so may as well get into modding now.

I'm going in mostly from the UI side of things, to help practice working on GUI code and UI icon design, whilst my course is heavily source code based, and with the adding of new pngs and such being somewhat easy, I'm starting off with new icons and such.
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I have a mod idea but i am with him and my mod experience is chunky. I know 3d modeling and scripting and editing configuration, and I'm getting into video and webscript, but i don't have a current team or positively every bit of skill i think necessary to solo a whole mod.

But I'm interested in building pieces meantime. Does this qualify me as someone who is welcome to try and apply?