Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Dunno. Someone must have added it. Are there colloquial differences in terms of a lot of slang or other day to day conversation?
  2. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hm... I don't know.

What is with "ß"?
  3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

hehe Austrians have some additional/different words, but its rather unimportant. They can read (and some even understand :lol: ) German.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

That was me, i wanted to start an Austrian slang version but after seeing how highly unfitting the choice of strings was for such a task i decided against it, but i couldn't get rid of the entry so my apologies...
  5. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I just did transliteration for proper names except "2012 Uber Entertainment" and "Uber Store".

Planetary Annihilation → 플래니터리 어나이얼레이션
    I did not change "PA" because every user knows PA is an abbreviation.
    There can be various transliterations of "Planetary" and "Annihilation",
    I got the "플래니터리" from dictionary and "어나이얼레이션" from "토탈 어나이얼레이션" which is a general transliteration of TA.

Theta Commander → 세타 커맨더
    I thought I should translate "Commander" but my friend (he is probably going to get a pre-order) did not like to be translated. Therefore I just transliterated it.
    "Commanders" in UberStore_28 string is same since they are not players but the units in game.

Uber Entertainment → 우버 엔터테인먼트
    Transliterated in general way, It can be found in the article officially provided by nVidia.
    http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.p ... iew&l=1246
    In this article, "존 메이버(Jon Mavor)" is praising on GeForce GRID Platform.
    If the Uber does not want transliteration, I will cancel it.

Howard Mostrom → 하워드 모스트롬
    I am not sure how Howard is going to respond about it.
    I believed that it was right thing to do since Korean Gamers going to call him this way.
    as I and other TA/SupCom fans (also game magazines) call CT as not "Chris Taylor" but "크리스 테일러".
    Of course, It should not do this if Howard hate this.

Since Korean and English are not identical, pronunciation cannot be exactly same, I transliterated these names based on general guideline so I am confident of them. (I showed translations to other Koreans and there was no objection about transliterations at least).
    Last edited: February 1, 2013
  6. mcodl

mcodl Member

I started Czech translations. Hopefully another Czech is somewhere around in these forums who could do the corrections :) .
  7. mcodl

mcodl Member

I have a question for future translations: do you also plan to have a community project for non-plaintext translations like texts embedded in images and voices?

I ask because only like 5% of Czech have a decent level of English. Although this game will probably speak in the language of violence so it won't matter that much :twisted: .
  8. pcbino

pcbino New Member

Alright, lets get to it. I'll help with the Danish localization!

Edit: Alright, I voted up the one guy, who have written some translations as well, but I still believe some of his are done by Google Translate (because Danish wording is wierd at times) so hopefully I fixed that.

Also I fixed some of his grammatical errors.

Hope it helps!
  9. garat

Generally speaking, we try hard to _never_ bake text into artwork. It's not always possible, but it's to be avoided at all costs. In certain games, like BioShock, it was impossible, because the artwork (many signs and ads) was so integral to the overall look and feel of that universe. For a game like PA, I would assume we won't need to bake in much, if any, text, and what little is there would not be translated/relevant anyway: Uniform insignias, etc. Just a guess, but seems likely. :)
  10. WataCoso

WataCoso Member

it will take a bit of time for me to finish, due to exams in this month, but you can count me in for Italian translations ;)
  11. rorschachphoenix

The german translation seems to be very good, but there are a few spelling, grammar and comma errors. How will this be eliminated?
  12. nobodyakagi

nobodyakagi New Member

you make new translations and then upvote the new ones? seems pretty simple :)
  13. rorschachphoenix

Yes. It is simple. But, if the translation with the wrong spelling has more votes. What then?
  14. garat

In that case, I just need it identified, I'll delete the top translation, and then let people know to upvote the new best one. Make good use of the comments/context field as well. Unfortunate that it's not language specific, but in general, I don't expect that field to be used heavily.
  15. rorschachphoenix

This sounds quite radical to me. There are very good translations in my opinion. But a few of them had spelling, grammar or comma errors. It is easy to find those. Well, it seems so... because nobody's perfect.

But there are a bunch of problems:
    Point 1: The "German" translation is "100% Complete". But the translation were done by only 10 people (I counted). And from those 10 people most of the translations were done by only 2 people. (I also counted the quantity of the translations per user).

Without names (I can give the names, but this doesn't matter, right?):
    User 1: 35 translations
    User 2: 27 translations
    User 3: 4 translations
    User 4: 3 translations
    User 5: 2 translations
    User 6: 2 translations
    User 7: 2 translations
    User 8: 1 translation
    User 9: 1 translation
    User 10: 1 translation

Ergo = Not enough diversity
    Or = Already the best translation available

Point 2: User can vote every time. If a translation came up later on, the vote could already be done. And it seems to me, that the vote can not be changed. (Is that true?)

Point 3: There are a few of my own translations, that I would like to delete, because I found another translation better than mine. But this seems also not possible. (Is that true?)

Point 4: If you change your translation, the vote for the old translation is still there.
    So, if you are writing something new, it is already voted. (Is that true?)

Point 5: You can't write a new translation. You just overwrite the old one.

Yeah... what to say about that?

It is not that difficult to correct some spelling, grammar or comma errors.
    The problem is: You don't know what is correct and what is false.

I can say, I am very competent in my motherlanguage. But you have to believe me or not. I can't prove it, because you can't read the german language, right? (I am not very competent in English. My post is proof enough ;-)).

Another way is the majority: If the majority says: "Yes, this is correct." then you know that the majority thinks it is correct. And the likelihood, that it is correct, will increase. No guarantee.

I can tell the people what is wrong. I can write it in the notes beside.
    But...
    1. the user have to read my post
    2. the user have to believe, that I know what I am talking about (which is contestable, because I am not a teacher)
    3. people have to change her translation

I don't like it, but I see a lot of problems with an automated translation.
  16. garat

Keep in mind, we have a very limited audience at the moment. It's JUST the backers and maybe a few friends who got invited. And at that, only the ones who are on the forums. Of 47,000+ Backers, we only have a small number of those regular posters on the forums. Once we expand this, the numbers should jump high enough to get us a much more egalitarian and statistically sound sample size of people translating.

That's the hope anyway. And no, it won't solve everything, we'll still have bugs, and still have to fix some translations, but that's always the case. This is still a significant improvement of the normal localization process. As most of the professional teams working on them move on to other projects when they're done, where as the hope here is our players will still be playing well after the first pass of translations are done.
  17. rorschachphoenix

Of course. Well, then I would think, the best way is to let it as it is for the moment.
  18. wiccasick

wiccasick Member

I did some work on the Norwegian stuff. I must say though. Cant you just use the full name "Planetary Annihilation" instead of always making the short version PA. Makes some sentences look weird. Just my thoughts.
  19. vaz

vaz New Member

Gave my opinion of the danish translation as well :)
  20. dmii

dmii Member

Just took a quick look at the German translation. As far as I can see there was nothing wrong ^^ (Except for the german sentences being twice as long as the english ones, but that's just how it is xD)

I just wished, that I would have been able to contribute a little more. I should look into these forums more often ...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.