Official Localization Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, January 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

It was more like transcription than translation. 'PayPal' can be written as '페이팔', which Korean transcription of PayPal.
    (It is like you guys write '강남스타일' as 'Gangnam Style' in English.)

So I just wrote name of well-known service in Korean transcripton ('페이스북 (Facebook)', '페이팔 (Paypal)') because I thought that it is quite to leave them in English even though they can be written in Hangul (Korean writing system).

So far, I did not touch 'Uber Entertainment' or 'Planetary Annihilation' because the Uber discourages to change them.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yah, we like our brand. :) And that makes sense.

For localization, they main reason you might see something like:
    페이스북 (Facebook)

changed is simply for space. One of the biggest problems with localization is UI space. We always assume a given translation may need up to 33% more space than the English equivalent, and we try and keep that in mind, but in the cases where one is literally twice as long, we'd probably shorten it to simply 페이스북.
  3. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Lots of game company does not translate the meaning of the name of games or their company, but they tend to write the names in Hangul.

For example, "League of Legends" is "리그 오브 레전드" and The Riot Games call themselves as "라이엇 게임즈". These Korean words do not have meaning, they are wrote the names in Hangul, Korean writing system.

Most game companies do this way. Even Blizzard Entertainment (Blizzard guys have very strong obsession for localization) does not try to translate their game title -though they translate subtitle such as "Heart of the Swarm"-.
    Even if they do not, Korean gamers would prefer to use Korean transcription than English alphabet.

Although the Uber never authorize official Korean transcription, Koreans call "Monday Night Combat" as "먼데이 나이트 컴뱃" and "Uber Entertainment" as "우버 엔터테인먼트".
    There could be slight different transcription since Korean pronunciation does not match English pronunciation.

Since the Uber is not well-known brand in Korea, It is hard to prove it on Google Search. However, it worked on Naver, the largest portal website in Korea.

http://search.naver.com/search.naver?sm ... 83&x=0&y=0

http://search.naver.com/search.naver?sm ... B8&x=0&y=0
    Last edited: January 31, 2013
  4. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

The reason I used English was I did not want to make you guys confused. In general, Korean would be shorter than English because a Korean character can contain vowels and consonants.
    Last edited: January 29, 2013
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

+1 for "Du", too.
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I AM OLD! :p
  7. beuth

beuth New Member

Hello Backers !

Finished the French translation, glad to be able to help with this project !
    Comments welcomed, of course.

Everything went fine, I hesitated on the "Theta Commander" and finally went for Keb's proposition "Commandeur Theta"

Ponctuation question : I've always been told to put a space before "dual" ponctuation marks like ! ? ; : but it's not the case in the translation strings, nor in the posts in this forum, is it specific to english ? (or is the space specific to french ?)
    Or should we just forget it ?
  8. garat

No space before punctuation, nor the "double space" after punctuation. The former is a standard in some circles, but depends on your style guide, but the latter one I will go into a nerd rage about and beat people with the Oxford style guide if they put two spaces after punctuation. :)

Simple rules on punctuation are: no space prior, one space after. The only exception to this is when the readability of a line is so bad without the extra space that you need it. And that's pretty rare, and font specific.
  9. beuth

beuth New Member

Alright, got the answer to my question :
    http://french.about.com/library/writing/bl-punctuation.htm
    The space is specific to French, then.

Got your message but I think we should stick to the French rules for the French translation.

I'll wait until tomorrow and put the space back unless you have a reason not to.
  10. garat

As you should. My post was partially humor. The rules i listed are primarily about English, and derived from the Oxford Style Manual. Each language has it's own standards on what it should look like, and should be followed.
  11. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

Just completed Polish translation ;)
  12. holmebrian

holmebrian New Member

i have a suggestion for the Localization site is there a reason the comments for separate languages show up on all of the languages?

you may want to change it so it is specific to each language and thread.
  13. garat

Sadly, that seems to be a setting on the site that I can't change. Because the comments are about the context of the string, I kind of get why they do it that way, but I wish it was either language specific or had two sections - one for language specific and one for general discussion about context.
  14. holmebrian

holmebrian New Member

ok then im guessing its not your website and it is a 3rd party company that hosts that.

thats cool then i guess you could always ask someone at the company if it is possible.

it would be helpfull when we get a ton of comments that dont relate other than same thread.
  15. freemangl

freemangl Member

Translating into Chinese now :)
  16. exuvo

exuvo New Member

Went thru the Swedish translations and invited 2 friends willing to help (siretu, raindirve) so the quality should be good now. Logon, d3nn05 and satch3l might want to take a look at the changes and revote.
  17. pudeldestodes

pudeldestodes Member

just reviewed some german translations and added some suggesstions as well.

Is there any reason why you list german and german(austria)? i mean there are some differences in the spoken language but it is written the same (as well as in switzerland)

ps: also invited a friend of mine to review some translations
    pps: may some folks consider me "old" i'll vote for informal "du" translation ;)
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

reviewed the german translations aswell.
    Some of them currently use "sie", others "du".
    I tried to upvote/submit to get everything to work with "du"
    In the end it will need to be consistent, that could be a problem.
    That's a problem with this system: If different parts from different persons are upvoted and used they might not fit together all that well.
  19. garat

Yup, and it's why upvoting should take into account things like consistency, readability, etc. It's not like something that goes in can't be fixed later too. :) But it is something to be aware of.

However, if the worst loc problems we have are inconsistency of du and sie, it will still be one of the localization passes ever done for a game. ;-)
  20. terrormortis

terrormortis Member

Why is there an extra localization for German(Austria), as far as I know we speak the same german as Germans ^^
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.