Official Camera Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by UberGaf, December 11, 2013.

1. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Very much prefer the pole-lock on, here, for orientation, like others. Love the soft-lock at the poles idea. And am absolutely ecstatic about the fluid zoom. I really love the work you guys are doing!
  2. dfanz0r

dfanz0r Active Member

Soft-lock would be amazing.

Also i am 100% certain that there is scrolling acceleration i mean, im pretty sure it was even mentioned in the last live stream.

If there isnt scroll acceleration, their is a distance multiplier that makes mouse scroll movements go faster the farther you get from the planet. This is basically pointless for me as a have a mouse with a low friction scrolling toggle.
    So i just flick the scroll wheel and zoom all the way out, just like the flick panning that was just added. I cant use this atm because it just scrolls out way to fast currently.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So I got to play around with it a bit for real now.
    2 Notes:

-Camera friction 50 is the best by far. I am part of the faction that cant make sense of any lower friction.
    -Pan speed is too slow once I am zoomed in too far, overall the changes in panspeed in relation to zoomlevel feel a bit... wonky? They definitely changed a bit since the last camera. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
  4. Badjakker

Badjakker New Member

I like pole lock aswell, its nice to return to your base from the same angle every time.
  5. cola_colin

Camera savepoints have all advantages that pole lock offers without the disadvantages imho.
    You can return to any place at any fixed angle you want at any time.
  6. Badjakker

Badjakker New Member

That is something i can get used to i think, making a save point in my base, and different ones for when you expand alot.
  7. cola_colin

Yes it's awesome. Try it :)
  8. r0ck1t

r0ck1t Active Member

Is there, or will there be a way to yaw the camera clockwise/counterclockwise? It seems the only way I can orient the camera east/west is without trying. And also an ability to tilt the camera up, closer to the ground? I thought I saw this done before but haven't found out how to do this (if it's even possible)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Ahree
    Agreed. It seems the keyboard shortcut has become broken.
  10. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

All you people who don't like pole lock must love Russian weather maps where west is up sometimes..:) They do this in Argentina too I think..so confusing.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I still want that scroll wheel rotate back
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. Blayzeing

Blayzeing New Member

Hi,
    I have only just started playing this game today with a friend, and I believe it is looking good. I am a fan of friction on cameras and have no problem with 90% of your camera system.
    However, due to the lack of tilt control and (although not as bad) intuitive rotation control I am struggling to enjoy the game, and a friend who also bought it at the same time as me with the intention to play it can't, as he can't get on with the camera angle at all.

Hope to hear a response,
    -Blayze
    stormingkiwi, macole111 and coldworks like this.
  13. cstk

cstk New Member

Hello! For start, I would like to thank you Uber for bringing such an amazing game! It looks and plays fantastic! But I have a question/request regarding camera movement. And if I'm making myself look stupid, so be it ;) is it possible to bind camera movement from middle mouse button, to the "thumb" button? If yes, then how can I do this? :) Thanks in advance for a reply :)

ohhh, and sorry for my english, I'm awfully rusted nowadays with it ;)
    Live long and prosper :)
  14. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I'm having a problem getting the normal Ctrl+m camera to work, is it disabled currently?
    Blayzeing likes this.
  15. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

It's broken in the current build. Should be fixed in the next build.
    stormingkiwi and bradaz85 like this.
  16. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Loving camera although the zoom really took a while to get used to as the default is very sensitive. One issue is that on systems with icy asteroids floating nearby, the asteroid's 'trail' will glitch out and obscure the view when it passes by.
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Fantastic!
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what about the scroll wheel navigation? :)
  19. Regabond

Regabond Member

A lot of great changes and overall plenty of improvement over the original system. However, scrolling at the edges of the screen was a nice way of "panning" around the world that doesn't seem to work as well anymore. I'm not sure if that was just a side effect or a feature before though.
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. nebulafox

nebulafox Member

I am not to sure about that. On OS X, by default acceleration scroll is on, and there isn't anything in System Preferences to turn it off.

Unless you have a gaming mouse with provided software, I recommend steermouse. You do need to pay for it, although you can trial it for a bit. It allows you to turn off accelerated scroll and and can configure up to 16 buttons on the mouse.

Turning off accelerated scroll and PA behaves correctly. The zooming in or out in consistent. However, to make it usable day to day I have to set quite high and being lazy I don't really want to go and keep chaning it. Is it possible to add some way of adjusting it in game, so the zoom speed is half (or does that already exist in Settings)?