Official Camera Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by UberGaf, December 11, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

or have an option so you can zoom while planets still spinning friction less and not have it snap to a stop on zooming...
  2. ericchughes

ericchughes New Member

@UberGaf - Love the new camera! I think some of the confusion with pole lock could be solved by making it a key binding that you can toggle in-game.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well there's n already. It's not quite like a toggle but it does bring north back up, although "North" really is an abstract concept in space.
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I absolutely do not want any form of acceleration at all. To put it into perspective, when I move my mouse wheel 7 clicks I move up a small amount from the surface. When I do this at high speed when microing quickly the planet becomes a tiny pinprick in the centre of my screen. This is absolutely terrible for repeatability and muscle memory, and is exactly why you should never use mouse pointer acceleration in gaming either.
  5. widthofacircle

widthofacircle New Member

I seem to be having a lot of problems with this new camera!

When I press spacebar (or zoom out) to get to solar-system level view, it starts to constantly spin leaving me quite disoriented! I have high friction for my camera, and I am using my MBP with the trackpad - which served me perfectly for the previous build.

UberGaf: Just found and fixed this bug yesterday - after the build went out. It only happens when pole lock is on btw.

Also, when zooming, the zoom is far too sensitive now, meaning that previously, I was able to move as I intended in and out, but now I have to be massively careful to prevent it from zooming out to solar system view where it starts to spin or from zooming in too close to even micro effectively.

UberGaf: Do you have mouse wheel acceleration turned on at the windows level?

However, the principles are all there, its nice to use, but if it worked properly, then it'd be better!
    Last edited by a moderator: December 11, 2013
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So some notes on a couple of topics:

- Rotation of planet using mousewheel - as Gaf said it's kind of hard to include that with the way the system works. We'll discuss and see if we can make it an option but we really didn't think it worked out. It was my original idea of how to make it so you can do a nice continuous zoom to the opposite side of the planet and it was just kind of janky.

- Strat Icons on planets - the idea here is to continue to define the strat icon system so that when zoomed out further we end up with "combined" icons and "base icons" that note where bases are. E.g. more work to do here

- Pole Lock - We consider this an evil experiment that some people seem to like. Not sure the work is worth it but plenty of people seem to like it for some reason
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. tatsujb

[​IMG]
    just delete it.
  8. maxpowerz

I think it's liked because it's one of the only static points of reference..
    Having north up and south down makes it a bit easier to re-orient on your base

edited---
    I think it's liked because it's one of the only static points of reference..
    Ok by that i mean having north up and south down as a static reference..
    lokiCML and ShiftyFX like this.
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Would you be willing to think about an alternative to this? What about an option similar to edge scroll, except it only moves when you have the mouse on the edge AND the wheel is turning. My main problem with edge scroll (Aside from issues with my mouse being in the other monitor) is that it works at a constant speed. Allowing the scroll wheel to adjust the edge scroll speed sort of fixes this.
  10. widthofacircle

widthofacircle New Member

Thanks for the response.

I do not have mouse wheel acceleration enabled - such a thing doesn't exist on OSX as far as I can find it. I have a low tracking speed enabled, so I am curious as to how it will happen. I will retry the zooming in a while with the lowest setting possible.

I like Pole lock - it helps me find my things! Thanks for the message anyway.
  11. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I love the new camera. I've spent nearly 5 mins just zooming in and out and panning. It's amazing, however no longer being able to use the mouse wheel to turn the planet bothers me. I hope you guys can figure out a good and fairly easy way to bring this back in :rolleyes:
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

If people just like the North and south as a nice static point of reference, can something be done to give users another point of reference without interfering with the camera.

I know the Space bar is going to be used as a unit alert button but instead, can't it be used as an orient button where if tapped, just orients the planet with the north pole on the top of the screen and the south pole at the bottom. It doesn't pan or zoom the camera, it just rotates the planet around where the camera is viewing.
  13. cptconundrum

You mean like pressing N?
  14. tatsujb

edge scroll is not enough.

is asymmetrical (meaning you need to make bigger movements to pan right and left than to pan up and down (given your resolution is more wide than tall) and the movements required to use this are too big.
    I can imagine that at first it must be janky but I'm sure with persistence that this nut is just inches away from being cracked.

as I pointed out above, the camera could be locked to zooming only once in the pop-out distance where strat icons fuse, north and south markers disappear and planet paths appear.

of course it probably would still be limited to a radius around the visible surface of the planet but definitely worth it.

I think it could be mathematically determined whether the user is pointing his cursor, at a zone that is for zooming or a zone that is for panning. smooth the transition between the two zones, and the result should be something quite instinctive.

to all those that are experiencing scroll acceleration dilemmas, I don't have this issue so it must be variations from one mouse, and O.S. to another. while Uber work on this I suggest going into the mouse properties and lowering the amount of notches your mouse scrolls or (if you have such a mouse) into your mouse's driver configuration panel. and tinker with scroll settings there. (I remember my old Roccat mice had a configuration panel with such options.)
  15. ericchughes

ericchughes New Member

@neutrino - As has been stated, it gives people a reference. I consider myself a die-hard RTS fan, and honestly, getting adjusted to a spherical map was tough. This is my biggest worry for you guys moving forward.

I really like the pole lock, but I want the ability to toggle it with a key binding. Navigating around the poles is just too hard with the lock turned on.
    snierke likes this.
  16. maxpowerz

it's the n key ..
    That is the hotkey to toggle pole lock in game on the fly
  17. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

hmm didn't know this option existed ( silly me)

Well in that case. I retract my statement.

I also didn't know there was already a hotkey for different planetary zoom levels.

I wish the keyboard hotkey menu was a little more.. organized and easier to read.
  18. tatsujb

it isn't a feature if you have to work around it, sometimes solutions exist that aren't in our line of sight, which makes us believe we've searched it all and there is no other solution.

patience. I too believe pole lock is not the way and is a bad habbit.
  19. cptconundrum

I've been considering making a mod to organize it better. I don't think I can change the groups that key bindings are assigned to, but I don't see why I can't at least make that page look nicer. Someone should start a thread in the mod forum with some ideas on how that page should look.
  20. ericchughes

ericchughes New Member

No, it isn't. The n key re-orients the camera to face north. It has nothing to do with the pole lock setting.