[NOT YET UPDATED!!!!] Galactic Annihilation - Released!

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by stuart98, May 24, 2015.

1. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

1 AM here, will make sure to check it out tomorrow. Congrats on your release!
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Well trying to get a galactic war game going and I get stuck on generating planets for an unreasonable amount of time. Not sure if my system (which has damn good specs) or on the mod end. As of writing this post I am still waiting with the generating planets load bar.

EDIT:
    Then I get the GAME SUMMARY in progress screen which I cannot close.
  3. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Bug with nukes, area attacking with nukes breaks the client, tested in a match recreated bug, not sure what causes this :L
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I think that has to do with AI personalities.

Some units are still mysteriously crashing the Galactic War upon firing. It's just weird. :/

Stick to skirmish for now.

Try going up against an AI on an all water planet without building a sonar. You'll find it ends hilariously.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

That's a live_game issue, and nicb1's issue also sounds like outdated live_game.

Stuart when did you last update live_game.js?
  6. stuart98

Nicb1's issue was one I exclusively experienced with higher difficulty galactic war AIs and corresponds with an AI that breaks and self destructs right away.

I'll see about updating the live game js.
    Nicb1 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. Nicb1

Yeah I was using the hard Galactic war ai. Here's hoping its the live_game js.
  8. stuart98

Galactic Annihilation v1.01

AI builds Phoenixes.
    Maybe possibly fixed galactic war AIs?
    Updated live_game.js.

Balance:
    Smasher + Stomper T1 bot: Health 120 -> 180.

This was done to make Smasher less volatile against other T1 bots.
  9. Nicb1

Ok just tried it on the same Gwar save again and the generating planets load ends a lot faster but the game ends in a draw.
  10. stuart98

I've got no ideas then.

:/

Stick to skirmish.

Or better yet, multiplayer.
  11. stuart98

Enjoying the mod? Have feedback? Post feedback in this thread or send me a PM, and be sure to click the link to our ModDB profile and leave a review there.
  12. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

We need to play it in multiplayer.
  13. Nicb1

Attempting to start a Gwar in the new update you released.
    Get stuck on this screen with all the buttons being non-responsive. (Have to alt-f4)
    [​IMG]

Sorry to nag you about this stuff but Gwar compatibility was something I was really looking forward to trying.
    bambijuice and Ksgrip like this.
  14. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Okay so I haven't really gotten around to playtesting, so my first criticism is only for the aesthetic side.

- I much preferred the RCBM approach to strategic icons, where the icon actually resembled the unit instead of a random shape (I also dislike the strategic icons of vanilla). Furthermore, your strategic icons are really small and I find them rather hard to read. Also I don't think you should have changed the default icons for metal spots and extractors. They are similar to vanilly, but much harder to read aswell.
    - The strategic icons seem to be rather low res compared to vanilla.
    - I don't think the Dragonfly model fits the style of the rest of the game. I always found it too big and clunky for a rather agile gunship. It is larger than the Bumblebee (which in my opinion it shouldn't be), yet less detailed, especially at those back-pointing wings. The same is true for for the Perdition - it lacks too much detail at the top side when compared to other units, especially for it's size.
    - Okay so when looking at the other custom unit models I see the same scheme everywhere: There is detail missing and the shapes are too basic. Looking at the Obliterator, Smasher, Dragonfly and Swatter need more defined shapes and little details. Also, the Eviscerator and Smasher could use a more shaky walking animation - the Smasher is almost the same size of the Dox, yet it remains rock solid while walking, while the Dox is shaking around violently, breaking immersion for me.
    - The upper body of the Avater flipped around randomly when engaging an enemy commander in the Instant Sandbox
    - The smasher never turns it's upper body when firing, resulting in weird looking behavior, when the gun is pointing forward and there are missiles coming out at a 90 degree angle.
    - The guard radius on most units seems to big. I found Smashers constantly running twice their firing range to be able to fire at units.
    - The Headlights for the Obliterator are not working.
    - The slammer looks like a duck on speed when moving, doing 50 steps to advance two meters. I'm pretty sure thats not intented.
    - The projecticles of the Thumper are too big for it's guns.
    - The Holkins firing effect looks weird, it seems the muzzle flash is travlering with the projectile.
    - And finally, I think there is a lot of stuff that could be done on the FX side to improve the look of GA. The Pew Pew mod is an awesome example of this (If there was a choice of merging the two I wouldn't even think about it :) )
    - Area attack with nuke launcher(s) crashes the game.

Okay thats a lot of points for a first look, notice I haven't had a look at ships yet. Hope I wasn't too harsh - I really like this mod (as I also liked it's predecessors) and would love to see it improved further.
    Notice I used to work as a professional 3D artist up until a year ago, so I am paying a lot of attention to the graphics and style :)
    stuart98 and Ksgrip like this.
  15. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

I have to agree in everything with @ace63. Ans I suggets you to take a look at the build bar icons, as some of them are way out of the natural color of the tier. For example the new modx bot.
    Also, I suggest you to change how the amphibious facotry build bar looks. Go to build.js create a new tab, (amphibious::) and define all the units inside it, in order to avoid the big *** build bar. PLEASE!!
    Also I prefer the vanilla land factories, I think it would be much less intruding to have the model of the combat factorie for the amphibious one.
    Also, what happened to the megabot?

Everything else, it looks really good and with the appropiate refining I think this could be way better than vanilla:)).

Edit:

Please consider releasing a client side mod with normal effects, not teamcolores:)

edit 2: I´ve found that the experimentals enffects and animations are extremyly bugged. Please rework some things cause it looks really out of place. Specially the avatar and the new tank.
    Edit 3: For the build bar icons you can use the ones I did for complete unit rooster. I think it looks way better the 4 turret bot that I did. No offense
    Last edited: August 2, 2015
  16. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Hey, I'm playing right now, though I forgot to disable Queller AI so it's basically a sandbox with the enemy doing nothing. That said, I have a few things to say:

1. The Eradicator tank doesn't look like it should be turning so fast.
    2. I don't know what motivated the moving of storage buildings to the advanced tiers.
    3. I like how the advanced tiers and the fabbers are far cheaper and accessible with the downside of lower metal income.
    4. I don't see an obvious way to counter the Artemis missile unless you intended satellites to be vulnerable when not under cover from an Umbrella, which does kind of defeat the point of a recon satellite. Oh wait, my own Artemis blob. Okay that can be fun.
    5. The Halley change results in some nice visuals but it may be a problem on some small maps so you may want to give it something to compensate.
    6. It's a really nice gesture that you cited those of us who suggested names that were later used in the mod.
    7. You may want to reconsider your naming scheme, like calling Needler the Needler Laser Turret with the Needler part denoting light. Or Rapier Laser Turret.

Besides that, the über units look quite interesting and I'll try to get some games down with others later.
  17. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

That indicates a JS error in the UI.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  18. stuart98

The area attacking nukes being broken is something that doesn't make sense for me.

Only team colored FX are the artillery effects, and I'm not sure what to replace them with as the vanilla ones look... bad.

Most of the model/texture criticisms aren't my doing.

I tried tweaking the out of place build bar icons, but some of them don't lend well to looking vanilla-ish. I'll probably have to bug ZX0 about doing the icons in a style more similar to vanilla. Heck, that's what I'll have to do with a good deal of the complaints.

Dragonfly is bulky, looks bulky, looks armored, is armored, looks slow, is slow.

I'll see about tweaking guard radius for the units where they're problematic. Just list everything that needs looking at and I'll see about taking care of it.
  19. stuart98

I hate galactic war...
  20. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Currently the Dox are kinda underpowered, do to wreckage allowing cover to straight forward attacks, the dox arent able to get any hits off to the enemy, honestly this is totally fine but their current damage is terrible, so to fix this I suggest increasing their fire rate, 4 times up, see if thats too much or too little then rebalance accordingly cause as of now, they kinda do nothing in terms of damage even in huge groups.