No update recently

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by killzone5017002, April 8, 2014.

1. NEDMInsane

NEDMInsane New Member

They are waiting on a couple more songs to be produced for the score so they can release some more of the best music ever :D i hope anyway.
  2. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

More music would be really nice.
  3. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

It seems uber is in abit of trouble lately, they don't know how to make or fix some things that are not working properly, but the only thing we can do is to have patience. Altho i don't like the lack of information and they feel and see this on the forums aswell, people are getting impatient, so now they update there facebook page allot more and give us a screen of a burning forest and hope the impatient wont get more restless.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually last I heard the Score itself was basically done. At this stage I can only assume they'll be working on things like triggering of the different songs and such.

Have you been following the Vanguard Newsletters? Also remember they just dealt with attending PAXEast, straight across the country.

Mike
  5. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Yeah dude ofc i have...............................and? You Vanguard people are doing Ubers dirty work, just saying.
  6. KNight

So you don't like the lack of communication, but then call what we do to improve that "Dirty work"?

Mike
  7. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

Well, there was a stream today at least.
  8. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Don't you worry Mike, or any of you Vanguards, you guys are doing allot for the community and uber should be eternally thankful that you guys do this in your free hours. And i hope uber will repay with more then only respect and the power they gave you guys.
  9. KNight

Nope, I'm not backing down here, explain what you meant.

Mike
  10. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

It's not a question of improvement Mike, what i ment with doing doing Ubers dirty work, is that they took the easiest way out. The community asks for information, allot of information and several people advised how they could could improve with communicating with the community. One of those things is the thing you guys are doing, but instead of doing it themselves they apoint Vanguards, i could rant allot about this subject because some things are just not right from my point of view when it comes to communicating with the community, but i'm not going to. Sometimes there is a perfect time to swalow your opinion and just see where the time will take us, and that the path im choosing now. I'm not saying you guys are doing anything wrong, not you vanguard or uber, i just would have done it differently, thats all ^^
  11. KNight

Keep in mind, every minute spent on communication is a minute NOT spent on Development, Even Brad, who handles a lot of PR stuff, has far more hats than just posting on the forums. Not to mention that some times, there just isn't anything available to post.

What you want just isn't all that realistic for a small team like Uber.

Mike
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  12. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

That might be quite true Mike, i don't know anything about game development, all i see are the choices that are made and executed. I'm just the kind of guy that hates cutting corners or taking the easiest way out. But when you want something done in the shortest amount of time with a certain standard you must cut corners i do understand, i might not agree or do it that way myself, but i understand.
  13. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

Actually I feel like Uber is extremely communicative, especially when you compare them to other developers.

And the Vanguards..I am not sure whether I am right there, but I thought the Vanguards were not "appointed" but were the highest tier backers and therefore enjoy the benefit of being able to communicate with Uber a lot more directly (also it seems like they get to test some yet unreleased builds from what we can read in the ingame patch-notes).

Therefore they learn a lot more about the development process and share that stuff with us.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
    drz1 likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The story of the Vanguard is a little more interesting (and controversial) than this. The Vanguards are a group that got together when Uber was not communicating so well and wrote a letter to the developers asking for better communication and suggesting some changes. Uber's response seems to have been, "We could hire someone to do that job, but you guys seem to know exactly what we should be doing. We'll work closely with you for this." It's not elitism; Uber could have hired someone to do what the Vanguard do, but they recognized that the most qualified people are already in the community. Some people have questioned Uber's methods in choosing this group, but that is really no different from questioning their hiring practices. We do get to be very involved in the development of this game, but we don't get to decide how Uber is run as a business.

The communication between Uber and the Vanguards seems to go both ways, too. We get to learn some more about the game's development and the Vanguards can influence Uber to see that changes happen when they need to. As a result of this, the developers started streaming their internal playtests which had previously been kept secret.
    drz1, paulusss and thelordofthenoobs like this.
  15. thelordofthenoobs

Ok, thanks for clarifying :)
  16. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Two things. First, where is your evidence that they don't know how to make or fix things?
    Second, lack of information? As in, one quiet week because of PAX? Good.Lord.
    thelordofthenoobs likes this.
  17. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Read the Vanguard letter edition 4 ^^ there is all the proof you need.
  18. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Do you have a special edition of that newsletter? I don't see what are you referring to in the 4th edition, there is nothing stating that they don't know how to fix things.
    drz1 and cptconundrum like this.
  19. thelordofthenoobs

The 4th edition of the Newsletter states that they are not happy with the state of some features and that they encountered difficulties during development and had to iterate to find a good solution.

Sounds like the development of every decently large software project ever.
    EdWood, aevs and drz1 like this.
  20. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I appreciate the passion, @Paulusss, but there's no need to throw the Vanguards under the bus.

And just so you know, we're working on an update that'll be adding friends lists, instant messaging, replays, and an incredible amount of tweaks, optimizations, and balance changes. It could come out today. Or tomorrow. Or maybe something will catch on fire and we have to delay it again. Point is: we're definitely working as hard as we can to bust out another one.