News Thread

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 18, 2015.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

*walks past a room of fans twitching, foam erupting from their mouths*
    tunsel11 and tatsujb like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Last edited: June 6, 2016
  3. tatsujb

4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...extremely-rare-twin-tornadoes-strike-germany/

twin tornados near ... Schleswig. That's basically my home town. wtf. And here I was thinking tornadoes happen in far away countries.
    And another one just hit Hamburg, also not very far from here.

It's mysterious. There is so much news about really bad weather that causes lots of damages, but where I am right now still is a nice, warm and near constant sunny place. If not for the news I'd say this is a most wonderful summer.
  5. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

tunsel11 and tatsujb like this.
  6. tatsujb

propaganda spiking up again... I'm telling you peeps either we take the rising tensions in the world seriously and try to tame the fire quick and calm everyone down or we'll have another world war on our hands and we all know it'll be the last.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Interesting thing to theory craft about.

Imagine a war between very connected countries- Wouldn't this feel so odd? There could be a war beginning to unfold in Europe for example between x and y country yet people of those countries could very easily still be talking to one another on a forum like this, or in a game or something.

One of the big reasons a full scale world war today seems mind boggling!
    Nicb1 and tunsel11 like this.
  8. tatsujb

@squishypon3 who said even without the aid of internet this very scenario didn't occur in WW2 in thousands upon thousands of instances.

I'm not going to downplay it : I also believe internet is our best weapon (oh the irony) against war (and ignorance, ...oh who am I kidding.. two sides of the same coin) today but it's starting to look as if it isn't that much of a deterrent to certain people.
  9. cola_colin

I don't think the internet has unlimited power about that. I do remember that a colleague of mine who was very much into eve online explained to me how an alliance of Ukrainian and Russian players who had worked together for quite some time quickly broke apart pretty hard when the whole drama in the real world between their countries started.
    So the internet was a mere reflection of the real world and neither side felt that the "okay" work together ingame had any meaning over anger at each other for whatever stupid things reality had to offer.

It's probably more a question of how people view the world. If you're right wing nationalistic then the internet will only make it worse, as you can trap yourself with like-minded people in a gigantic echo chamber.

On the other hand if you don't bother as much with the concept of "nations" and just see yourself as a citizen of the world you'll just be completely weirded out by people who go into aggressive patriot mode.

So the conclusion is simple: The internet isn't a cure for the stupid. It's a catalyst for sure, but into both directions, making the peaceful more peaceful and the hateful more hateful. Sadly the past years, and especially the whole refugee crisis in europe, has brought out the most ugly minded people into the broad daylight of the internet.
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. cola_colin

A soccer team
  11. Devak

FTFY
  12. cola_colin

You know that game were some 20 people run after a ball for about two hours.
  13. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

14. tatsujb

OMG this fuckin clip xD

So good. if you understand the commentary it's even more hilarious. the commentator's trying to give the mood of the clip a serious tone and failing miserably.

French gov has banned LePetitJournal from re-playing this clip on TV. interesting right? #mycountryhasbecomeadictature
    tunsel11 likes this.
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Assoc(cer)iation Football

FTFY
  17. tatsujb

18. Devak

i don't want to watch the news anymore.

past week has been nothing but murder
  19. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Murderer / terrorist / however you want to slice it apparently not linked with ISIS and has no religious associations. Has been a known criminal for years.
  20. tatsujb