New Unit Suggestions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by soghog, August 16, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The most catastrophic scenario is wasting money and aircraft time on the bunker in the first place. Everything else is a vain attempt to justify the waste.
  2. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

If that's how you want to think, go right ahead. Not sure where you got vain from though, if you actually read back properly you would see it's not even my idea.
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

So now we've moved on from air bunker to suggesting a air staging facility that assists aircraft on patrol overhead, a completely different concept. I agree an air staging facility would be nice for refuel/repair/rearm/rewhatever.

And now you are suggesting it has infinite range, i.e. the entire planet provided it has radar coverage! Why not add duel nuke cannons, and asteroid bombardment focusers and some other nonsense to fully realise it's potential!

As if an automated air defense idea wasn't enough, you aren't even going to suggest that it's range be limited. The nerve!
  4. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Haha you know I have to agree! I hadn't considered it would be overpowered if it was linked to your radar range late game. So what is it then, ridiculously over powered or so under powered its pointless? You've gone from saying its so weak its pointless, to saying its too powerful! The original idea hasn't changed at all in this time. Try forming your ideas first?
  5. comham

comham Active Member

It's a good idea as far as a tidier land version of the air repair pad is concerned, since it's basically a static aircraft carrier, but PA is not a game where you need to store your aircraft. Just have damaged planes go in one end and come out the other repaired.If you need to intercept incoming bombers, you set up a patrol route.
  6. bobucles

The original idea was to use the bunker as a way to address some problem with the UI. Why not just fix the UI? Stashing your aircraft in a gigantic box isn't a good idea to begin with, when they should be flying sorties.
  7. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I actually say earlier it's not the idea of the bunker exactly- it's more the idea of the mechanism it represents. When we end up playing across five, ten, twenty planets- with multiple commanders in play, we will need mechanisms to reduce micro management. The idea that a structure could direct your defensive aircraft in your absence to potential attackers is what appealed to me. There will need to be lots of mechanisms like this to make play across many worlds even remotely viable!
  8. hawksflight

hawksflight New Member

Sounds nice, an alternative to solely focusing on artillery once you have naval superiority. AA sub too. Naval needs more stuff.
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

And they use gigantic hydraulic hoses and pumps to retrieve units from bodies of land.

Kinda like how the Ghost Busters retrieve ghosts. But without the theme music.

Actually, it'd be pretty cool if transports had their own theme music.
    CommieKazie likes this.
  10. bobucles

But there already is a mechanism to simplify a huge playing field. You blow it up! As players kill each other off and more resources come into fewer hands, there will be options to damage or eliminate entire worlds. Blow everything up, and keep doing it until the options become reasonable again.
  11. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I think people are missing the simple ones.

A t2 scout/radar/sonar plane. There isn't mush else to say.

A seaplane. A construction plane dedicated to sea buildings.
  12. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

why can't the regular airplane do surface-sea constructions?
  13. soghog

soghog Member

I can already picture what T2 scout planes would look like, probably something along the lines of an E-3 sentry with a large radar dish on the back. Question is, how do you implement it? What would T2 scouts do differently from T1 scouts? Act as limited, mobile radar perhaps? Maybe even throw in some electronic warfare into the mix? Whatever the case, it'd also have to be pretty damn weak to the point of only being a support/scout unit.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'd prefer something closer to the proportions of the E-2 Hawkeye myself.

As for how it could be implemented, well just like the actual E-2/E-3 Having work as a mobile radar with better loitering capability. Compared to a T1 Scout that functions primarily on Vision I don't see why it couldn't work/be tried.

Mike
  15. unknown122

unknown122 New Member

the plateau
    this would basically be a man made island that you can build structures on or move units on for a land invasion from sea it would have no form of attack on its own however and costs a considerable amount. you could later have rockets built on it that would propel it into orbit were it can fire units down that were on the pad.

an idea for bridge construction if they get to it would be to build a structure on one side of the river bank that you could select and then click and drag an area for this structure to build and place bridge panels and to prevent access for enemy's it could act like a draw bridge were each panel slides into the other till it is stored in the main structure.
    Last edited: August 23, 2013
  16. bobucles

Is that really a prop plane? Something like that would be more like a gunship in terms of PA speed.

I got nothing against flying radars. However, a fast moving high vision unit pretty much ruins any reason to build one on the ground.
  17. wolf0503

wolf0503 New Member

Bring back the Krogoth back from the core contingency
    beer4blood likes this.
  18. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

Chickey Cantor Commander.

[​IMG]
    melhem19 likes this.
  19. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

Great thread! Will become more and more relevant as we enter beta.

+1's:
    naval defense tower - sounds cool, would require a naval builder though I suppose
    patrol boat
    submarine that can submerge for a limited time
    sniper bot
    siege tank
    kamikaze bot
    carpet bomber

also, area of effect flame tanks
  20. lillithgt

lillithgt New Member

Mobile anti-nuke tank, ship.