New Unit Idea: Wartrain

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Neuralize, October 5, 2013.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Why would I take the train, when I can use a teleporter?
  2. corteks

corteks Active Member

Because WARTRAIN! That's why! :p

Although if it can have moving versions of static artillery mounted on it that could be a reason. It could be geared towards being more of a mobile base maybe?
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yep. Some old-school tech on an ARTIFICIAL PLANET.
  4. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

My son is asking for them. He is 3 so you can't say no. He just wants them no reason other than "Trains are cool daddy"
    mjshorty, emraldis, corteks and 4 others like this.
  5. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

wartrain sound OK, but i got some name suggestion:

vita treni = war train in Swahili
    war isitimela = war train in Zulu
    krig tåg = war train in Swedish
    train guerre = war train in French
    tren război = war train in Romanian
  6. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

Lets first see the unit cannon and orbital transport than we will see about stuff like this. But it would be a fun mod to have but I guess an awful lot of work to make. I see more potential in a flying mass transport.
  7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I would like to see this, its very original ^^
  8. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Me too, the war train should definitely appear on a metal planet as old technology or on other worlds as a mod.
  9. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Or you could fly a fabber and build a teleporter
  10. kjotak109

A tried and true method, indeed. But what if the enemy has fortified himself on another planet? This type of strategy doesn't work well with cracking moon turtles...
  11. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Are you saying your train can be dropped from orbit? That seems a little...silly.
  12. kjotak109

No, I was talking about an Astraeus carrying a regular construction unit and dropping it from orbit to build a teleporter on an enemy moon.

If I tried to establish a beach head on a fortified moon with a teleporter, the enemy tanks/bombers would wipe out the fabber/teleporter before I could even send an army through, let alone power it on.
  13. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

the problem w/ using Trains in combat are:
    1 they need a path or they are useless
    2 because of this need, they can't manouver(flank for example)
  14. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Hmm, maybe we could make the teleporter t2 and make this "wartrain" a cheap t1 construct. This way logistics mean more than just popping a tele here and there.
  15. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

This idea is very well presented (great renders/ artworks) and really interesting...
    ...but to be honest, it doesn´t fit very well in the setting!

If Uber would do a spinnoff it might be in there, but right now...
  16. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Museum planet.
    Obviously
    Planktum, Geers and kjotak109 like this.
  17. planetarystrategist

planetarystrategist New Member

Becouse train would allow you to pick up units from a range of locations instead of only from point A to B. Also if you would have a weapons like lasertowers and artillery on a train, it would make better stationary defence than that these are at the moment, since they could allow you to reposition your stationary defences quickly.

In the end, with the current game mechanic where mobile artillery units don't have super long range and they are slow, ability to move "stationary" lever of power from one place another would be useful to implement. It would propably soon after implementation require nerfing.

Wartrains would be useful When attacking towards enemy base. You could keep on building railroad behind you forces at the same time when artillery train would give support and transport train would quickly move forces from your base to continuously expanding frontier. This would be know as "traincreeping". Just remember the days of "peltercreeping" added with movable teleport. Scary, isn't it?

Traincreeping would be superior method of transporting units to movable frontier compared to building new teleporter after every you make a little progress. Even if we would have airtransport ferrie -ability from Supcom, would wartrains still be meaningfull method of logistics, since they would not be as vulnerable to air (fighters) and thus easy for enemy to intervene. Railroad hp is balance question, as simple buildings they could have hp of walls but they would be neutral, allowing takeovers by the enemy, but not complete destruction by bombers.

In conclusion, wartrain would be very new and powerful innovation in the universe of Planetary Annihilation instead of being "old tech".
    magisterquis and corteks like this.