New players joining existing games

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zachb, September 7, 2012.

1. zachb

zachb Member

OK so maybe this was covered in the Confirmed Features and Ideas thread under "Joining games mid-way (saves / mega-games / etc)" and if so I am sorry for double posting.

So I plan on playing PA at LAN parties a lot. And the biggest problem we have had with games that can go on a while (4x strategy games that can go on for several hours) is what happens when someone dies early on, or shows up later after the game has started? Usually they have to twiddle their thumbs for a few hours waiting for the match to end before they can have fun again.

This is why we end up playing a lot of shooters and arena games where people can come in whenever they want to.

So I was wondering if we could do something similar in a strategy game. If someone blows up early on or just shows up late to the party. Could we just plop them in with a commander, some engineers, and a pile of resources on a distant planet or moon someplace. Yes they'd probably get rofl-stomped a few times but at least it'd give them something to do.

So yeah I know, "This will ruin tournament play and, ruin games on the internet." Just make it an option in the game set up that is turned off by default. It'd be easy to implement and would give people at LAN parties something to do.
  2. nemoricus

nemoricus Member

Re: New players joining old games

I'll support this idea. It seems like a good way to give longevity to those all-night battles without anybody feeling left out if they die early on.

It would of course be an option at game start, but it's one that it would be quite welcome in casual settings.
  3. zordon

zordon Member

Pretty sure this has been confirmed.
  4. nemoricus

nemoricus Member

New players being able to join the game, yes, but not necessarily ones who had previously been eliminated from the game.
  5. zachb

zachb Member

yeah I read that more as loading a saved game but having someone else taking over your dudes.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... ?context=3