New (Game) from the TA(and Co.) Developers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by supremevoid, December 20, 2012.

1. pyanodon

pyanodon New Member

hummm they made some kind of upgrade? If you click in the image, that "volcano" appears and a sillouette of something technological.

[​IMG]
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I get the feeling you're referring to AoEO here.....

Mike
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Space Siege and SupCom2 (to a degree) were designed with casual players in mind. AoEO was never designed by Chris Taylor, GPG just took over after the game was almost finished. I think the actual lead designer of AoEO was from MS.

Anyway, it's good to see that GPG is working on something new and that they are no longer 'just on the pay roll' for Microsoft. I hope they can make a comeback with a great new IP that belongs to them and follow their own vision again.
  4. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

At the bottom of that image, there's an area that's darker than the rest, a sort of silhouette. Pretty certain it's some sort of logo for the word "WILD."
  5. KNight

That was more or less the point I was making in a roundabout fashion, problem is that a lot of people don't realize the story behind AoEO.

Mike
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You have a pair of sharp eyes and a good monitor!

[​IMG]

It looked all black to me before I ran it through a filter.
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

/agree. GPG needs to be working on their own stuff.
  8. knightwyvern

knightwyvern New Member

I believe that silhouette is of the word "Man." Could be wrong, but I'm relatively certain.
  9. KNight

I think "Wild" is a better fit;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As discovered by the GPG OT Gang.

Wild also fits pretty nicely with the theming of the countdown time and the Volcano to a degree.

EDIT: Seems they changed the image thus derp.

Mike
  10. doushibag

doushibag New Member

Dungeon Siege was mediocre, Dungeon Siege 2 was bad (expansion was especially fail), and Supreme Commander was fail (didn't play FA). Kind of hard to get excited when the company has such a poor track record. He's just riding on the awesomeness of Total Annihilation and putting out games that aren't that good. Whatever happened with Kings and Castles anyways, being revived or totally dead? Haven't seen him address that since he moved onto the Age of Empires thing. Was Space Siege any good? Anyways, here's to hoping PA brings the awesome and serves as the follow up to TA that SupComm wasn't.
  11. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

I'm pretty sure Dungeon Siege's success doens't have much to do with TA.
  12. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

But it does have a lot to do with this thread. Speculation on GPG's new game, so GPG's history is up for analysis.

I happen to think Dungeon Siege I and II were great (for different reasons, however). Sup1 wasn't fail... otherwise it would have gotten an expansion, nor a sequel.

Not played Space Siege or AoE:O, so I'll refrain from comment there. Demigod changed direction mid-way through development, so I was a little upset about the result (and there was the netcode issues, but that wasn't entirely GPG's fault).
  13. rathik

rathik New Member

I am sure everyone will be interested to hear that Atari has sold the rights for Total Annihilation.
    It doesn't say to whom it was sold but my guess it would be to GPG.

http://forums.atari.com/totalannihilation

14. bbf

bbf New Member

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 were really good games, unlike Dungeon Siege 3.
    SupCom and FA were great games.... it had it's cons, like poor memory management and an AI which would any drop any rig to it's knees over time. But that was the tradeoff of building the whole thing on top of LUA.
    Space Siege was HORRIBLE... to me that was the start of GPG's fail. They tried to make a Dungeon Siege, but more casual... just like SupCom2... yuck.

I find funny though, when you say that SupCom didn't serve the TA players. I can think of only few things that you have on TA, that were missing from SupCom. And on another hand, I can think of PLENTY of stuff you have in Sup Com that were better then TA.

Time has passed, games have to evolve. Things that made sense back in TA, were greatly improved in SupCom. And the amount of depth was kept. I only miss air builders stacking up in that fun choreography.

And I too wanna look forward to this new game from GPG. I hope that their casual fever has passed, and their passion for real games has returned. Be it Wild Siege, Wild Commander or w/e.
  15. FlandersNed

FlandersNed Member

Very clever. Veeery clever.
    The irony is that I have listened to it so much I like it.
  16. r1zoTo

r1zoTo Member

Click at GPG Logo ;)
  17. freemangl

freemangl Member

you can see the trademarks of TA doesn't belongs to GPG:
    http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=75132605
  18. xfercns

xfercns New Member

Pics changed :) click the logo in the middle. Interesting to see what this turns into.

Xfer
  19. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

20. feyder

feyder Member