[New!] Faction #2 Faction Name Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 23, 2013.

?

What Should Faction 2's Name Be?

1. Temple of the First

92 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Followers of the Founder

50 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Army of the Creator

138 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. The Enlightened

98 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. The Foundation

247 vote(s)
    26.6%
  6. Knights of the Faith

124 vote(s)
    13.4%
  7. The Adherents

118 vote(s)
    12.7%
  8. Disciples of the Founder

60 vote(s)
    6.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telvi

Telvi Member

jep Army of the Creator :D

Sounds like the Reaper from Mass Effect. A race which is nearly at the top of the food chain. ^^
  2. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

First of all, thank you Uber and Brad for this new poll!:D
    I like The Foundation and The Adherence.;)

The Foundation, a very solid name, supports everything, the beginning and very self centered. However for a very religious faction it feels lacking.o_O

The Adherence, English is not my first language so I didn't recognice the word. So I looked it up: ad•her•ence (ædˈhɪər əns, -ˈhɛr-) 1. steady devotion, allegiance, or attachment.
    I think name fits extremly well with the theme. It has a bit of an mysterious feel, it literly means "devotion", it is easily associated with religion.

So I voted The Adherence.:cool:

I am slightly disapointed in the faction leaders name, Inquisitor Nemicus. I feel like Inquisitor is a to low of a ranking for a faction Leader.:confused: Imho an higher rank would be in order, maybe something like "Chancellor", "Monarch"or "Sovereign". (I just wanted to say this, I doubt the name will be changed):p
    gadarn likes this.
  3. lhw

lhw New Member

Actually "The Foundation" probably being based on Asimovs literature is a very religious society. Believing in the promised future by their founder who calculated the future of the universe and humanity thousands of years ahead of time (kind of like a god).
  4. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

Voted for the Federation! erm I mean Foundation :p
    Also not sure what to think about the faction name, Nemicus sounds roman like the other faction and is the main reason I dit not like that name. And his lastname does not fit in with his story , but ok I can live with it :)
  5. gadarn

gadarn New Member

+3 for Fist of the Founder!

I'd like to echo this argument (which was also made on the Commander naming forum) that Inquisitor represents someone just following orders, often those orders are simply to extract information. This is beneath the mission of the Commander.
    Last edited: October 24, 2013
  6. gabriensymons

gabriensymons New Member

Here’s a theme I recognize developing: Historical Empire + Descriptive Name

Roman Imperial
    Delta Commander Invictus
    Legonis Machina

Spanish Religious
    Inquisitor Nemicus
    (name TBD)

If Inquisitor seems tame, what about Grand Inquisitor, Chancellor, Regent, Viscount, or Lord?
  7. jimmyjazz1999

jimmyjazz1999 New Member

Just came here to vote for The Foundation, great name for a faction! I'm a big fan of Isaac Asimov so this one feels very satisfying as a name :)
  8. Emblis

Emblis New Member

Allow me to storm in with no clue what has been discussed but here is my opinion. I do not think faction names should not be picked at random or because it sounds cool. The name should convey the goals & philosophy of the faction. Let me take Starcraft as a bad example. Zerg/Protos/Terran. If I where a first time player of Starcraft and first heard these names I would scratch my head and wonder "what the hell is that?" The names say nothing about the faction aside from sounding cool.

Looking at Warcraft:Frozen Throne you got Night Elfs/Orcs/Humans/Undead. While it tells me little of their goals, at least I as a first time player got an idea of what to expect from them, all are since long established in other other fiction. The may not have quite the "ompf" to them but they are easier to relate to and does not feel as alien.
  9. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

There is a theme. This faction is religious or atleast a bunch of fannatics that wants to follow in the footsteps of the creators (more or less). Please don't just storm in and start reading from the beginning like the rest of us. So that you can actualy contribute to the ongoing discussion. ;)
  10. crazac

crazac New Member

INQUISITOR NEMICUS OF THE FOUNDATION
    _________ Leader of the First ____________
  11. kattelars

kattelars New Member

I almost went for "The Foundation", big Asimov fan(!), however I found myself REALLY liking "The Adherents". It has that classic "religious faction" feel, without it being a name I've encountered before in gaming. (+ it sounds cool, yay!)
  12. Stormie

Stormie Active Member

Yep, not sure why but i was drawn to "the adherents", just imagined being a first time user scrolling through them all and given those choices I'd choose "the adherants"
  13. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Adherants was my choice but I would lose "The"
    so i prefer "Adherants" not "The Adherants"

Looks like "The Foundation" is the go atm.
    again to me simply "Foundation" would be better.
  14. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Like your avatar btw. The Foundation sounds as good as any. Reminds me of some fringe cults out there... in terms of its name.
  15. LordTarius

LordTarius New Member

While the Foundation is good, I picked Army of the Creator. Either one would be good I think though.
  16. vulcantourist

vulcantourist New Member

There seems to be a curious social dynamic in the voting at this point: now that a winner by a substantial margin is apparent, the voting between the choices is no longer proceeding in the same proportions as earlier. Instead it appears that the minority choices are now being disproportionately selected. I have no explanation if it's actually happening, but it's interesting.
  17. greyfoxv1

greyfoxv1 New Member

I'm throwing my hat in for The Foundation.
  18. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Hmm, lotta first past the post voting conundrums here... do i vote for the one i actually want? (knights of the faith) and thus throw away my vote on a third party? or vote for Army of the creator to try and block foundation?
    gadarn likes this.
  19. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i feel "the foundation" is a bit weird, but well...

when i hear "foundation" it makes me think about the "foundation for cancer research" or "for animal protection" or whatever. but just "the foundation" makes me think "the foundation for what ?"

shouldn't it be plural to avoid this awkwarness ? I mean, "the foundations" would feel a lot more like "the foundations of the world/universe" rather than some kind of non-profit organisation :/
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

They believe in a Founder, and they are the "foundation" upon which his work rests.
    gadarn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.